Notices

Trying to plan a sober Thanksgiving

Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to plan a sober Thanksgiving

I was making some really good plans to go hiking with a friend on thanksgiving day. Had the spot picked and was really happy to have a solid sober plan in place. Then I checked the weather. 90% chance of thunderstorms in the morning and 50% in the evening. Her other suggestion is me going to lunch with her at the American Legion (alcohol will be there). Not a good idea for me.

Another option is going to a co-workers house where alcohol is sure to be served. I’ll only be 4 days sober at that point so not a good idea either.

Most places are closed that day. With storms immenient and everything closed I have no idea what to do to pass the day and stay sober. Sure I can catch up on housework and stuff on the DVR, but it’s a day where I will be sad because I won’t be able to see my family because they’re so far away.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Go see a movie, by yourself if necessary. I love movies on Thanksgiving.

Would your friend be willing to change venues to an alcohol-free place?
Old 11-21-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You don't have to do something "special" just because of a day on the calendar.

Just don't pick up a drink. Relax, clean a closet.

I don't have any family. It's okay, it's just a day to be grateful. I can do that anywhere.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are ya made of sugar...afraid you'll melt in the rain..LOL...a nice rainy day hike ain't so bad. Don't worry bout the weather, plan your hike and just do it! Sounds like fun!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
Are ya made of sugar...afraid you'll melt in the rain..LOL...a nice rainy day hike ain't so bad. Don't worry bout the weather, plan your hike and just do it! Sounds like fun!
Suppose to be actual storms with lightening. Not a good idea to be hiking in that.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Go see a movie, by yourself if necessary. I love movies on Thanksgiving.

Would your friend be willing to change venues to an alcohol-free place?
A movie is a good idea. She won’t change because it’s free, she’s a veteran and really wants to go there. I’ve made it clear I’m not going there.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You don't have to do something "special" just because of a day on the calendar.

Just don't pick up a drink. Relax, clean a closet.

I don't have any family. It's okay, it's just a day to be grateful. I can do that anywhere.
This is the very first thanksgiving I am spending alone away from friends and most importantly family. This is my favorite holiday. I would be foolish not to try to make some kind of plan because it will be a very hard emotional day for me. A day that would be so easy to pick up. I am trying hard to prevent that. Thus the reason for making a plan. It’s too early in my recovery to try to “wing it” when I know it’s going to be a day of struggle.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sinderos, is there somewhere in your community where you could volunteer to help serve Thanksgiving Dinner to homeless people. Shelters are often in need of extra help on the holidays and it could be fun.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Check out your local AA, many have sober parties on the holidays.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Sinderos, is there somewhere in your community where you could volunteer to help serve Thanksgiving Dinner to homeless people. Shelters are often in need of extra help on the holidays and it could be fun.
Love this suggestion, Sinderos. There is something about helping others that ends up being so therapeutic.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you cannot volunteer, stop by a Boston Market tomorrow and pick up Thanksgiving food for Thursday.

Maybe, watch the Thanksgiving Parade in the morning, go to an afternoon movie, and then go home and have your dinner.

I am so sorry that you will be alone. There will be people here that you can talk to, though. Lean on us.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
This is the very first thanksgiving I am spending alone away from friends and most importantly family. This is my favorite holiday. I would be foolish not to try to make some kind of plan because it will be a very hard emotional day for me. A day that would be so easy to pick up. I am trying hard to prevent that. Thus the reason for making a plan. It’s too early in my recovery to try to “wing it” when I know it’s going to be a day of struggle.
then its the perfect day to take annas suggestion- good day to be selfless instead of sittin in self pity.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm going to both an OA and an AA marathon on Thanksgiving. You have an AA fellowship in the area? Maybe they're having a marathon too. Worth checking out.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sinderos

I don't know much about Thanksgiving but there are some pretty cool ideas here.

I'm really glad you're making an action plan and making choices based on your desire to be sober

some more good ideas here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)
D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-21-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have a coworker who likes to celebrate solo. He spends all day cooking his Thanksgiving meal just for himself, full of all the foods he loves, and none of the stuff he hates. Then he watches a favorite movie. Sometimes I get jealous!

Perhaps you could attempt the same? Put on a marathon of a favorite TV show or trilogy, cook great food, light candles, play your favorite music, take a long bath or shower; just indulge in yourself.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Why not just grab some warm clothes, a good raincoat and a sturdy umbrella and hike in the rain. Some of my most memorable hikes have been in the rain. It would probably distract you from thoughts of drinking better than hiking on a sunny day too🌧😀🌵
Old 11-22-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I tried to find somewhere to volunteer but couldn’t. Hiking in a thunderstorm where Florida has a high rate of people getting struck by lightening is not a good idea.

I’m going to an aa meeting at noon. Afterwards gonna go home and prepare my thanksgiving dinner. I don’t consider it self pity. I consider it major change from every thanksgiving I’ve ever had which causes a lot of lonliness and sadness.

Thank you for those of you who provided support and some good ideas on things to do to overcome a really hard day.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't know much about Thanksgiving but there are some pretty cool ideas here.
My Aussie friends loved the bonding, dinner and stuff, but HATED the food. Unfortunately our hostess is a TERRIBLE cook.

We made Lamingtons to compensate.

Thanksgiving is a great holiday, aside from having a day off. Ideally, large groups of people, largely but not exclusively family, get together around a huge meal and gorge until you go into a food coma. After dozing a bit, you eat pie. Then some more food coma, then you head to the kitchen to pick at the leftovers.

There's also a lot of American football (gridiron) on TV. Kinda like ANZAC day, but with copious amounts of food, and roughly the same time of year, but NorHemi.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
I tried to find somewhere to volunteer but couldn’t. Hiking in a thunderstorm where Florida has a high rate of people getting struck by lightening is not a good idea.

I’m going to an aa meeting at noon. Afterwards gonna go home and prepare my thanksgiving dinner. I don’t consider it self pity. I consider it major change from every thanksgiving I’ve ever had which causes a lot of lonliness and sadness.

Thank you for those of you who provided support and some good ideas on things to do to overcome a really hard day.
I will give thanks tomorrow that Sinderos has entered sobriety and recovery. Please know that you will be thought of.

I hope that your day is a good one.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving, Sinderos!

I'm sorry you're away from family this year; you can have mine. I'm probably skipping dinner at my uncle's this afternoon because he serves draft beer from his own refrigerated keg, with about 75% participation from my family members, and they dress the dinner table with multiple carafes of wine, both red and white. As a former vodka drunk, I'm not exactly tempted, but don't feel like eating with it in my face, ya know?

I've spent many holidays alone. For thanksgiving, I do like buying something special from the grocery store to make for dinner, something I don't usually have. Maybe a big chicken lasagna from Gordon Foods...and garlic bread...mmm...a pint of Ben and Jerry's for dessert...

Anyway, I totally agree that the Veteran's Hall is no place for you today! I recommend good food, and maybe a parade on tv, football if you're into it...and a nap! Nothing like a good food coma to express our thankfulness...

I'll be thinking of you while I blow off my family dinner!