Notices

Depression at 21 days. Is it PAWS?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression at 21 days. Is it PAWS?

I just got hit by the depression train yesterday. Previous to that I was feeling really positive and upbeat.
So my question is is it to early in my sobriety for PAWS or is it just still acute symptoms? It also could be from the lack of sunlight in the Pacific North West. I am taking a vitamin D supplement as Dr said.
Also I should add that the holidays are always hard for me. I guess it could be a combination of a bunch of things.

asixstringnut
Old 11-21-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there are always ups and downs in life and the same in true in recovery. I agree that the seasonal change affects many people negatively, as does the upcoming holiday season. I'm glad you are staying focused on your recovery.

Congratulations on 21 days of sobriety!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by asixstringnut View Post
I guess it could be a combination of a bunch of things.
Most likely.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

You’re still in withdrawal. Not PAWS. Also you may have come off the pink cloud.

I found I had cycles of depression on my first 100 days, but have done a lot of work on my mental health along with my sobriety.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Six

Paws is generally after withdrawal - at least 30 days and usually more.

Depression is pretty common in early recovery - and if you have a background of depression it stands to reason even more you might be a little up and down right now.

You'll always find support and empathy here - you're not alone

D
Old 11-21-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Six
You'll always find support and empathy here - you're not alone
D
Thanks D
Old 11-21-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm at 4.5 months and want to encourage you that the emotions get so much better! I saw improvement at:
2 weeks
1 month - significant improvement
3 months - drastic improvement

I know it's different for everyone but you're in the hardest part (next to detox) and it gets better. I notice that following an especially BAD day (or more!), I would feel a little relief the next day, like the depression had lifted a bit.

I started looking forward to and watching for these moments of "relief" and before I knew it, more and more relief days were stringing together. At month 4, if I had to guess, I would say I had 6 tough days out of 31 (maybe even less!). And at the risk of TMI, I'll share that I'm a woman in my late 30s with pre menstrual disphoric disorder so the hormone cycle is HELL combined with withdrawals. So if I had a decent Month 4, that spreads a lot of hope to everyone else Lol! People are right on here when they say it gets better.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Asix,

Life unmedicated is tough for me too. I get down and obsess. It wears me down.

I keep using a stretchy of concrete solutions to overcome the mental anguish of depressing obessions.

I make a plan for how I am going to fix the problem. Even if it not the perfect plan, it is a plan that gives me a peaceful assertive plateau.

Usually, my problems seem to dissappear after a few days to the point where they don't bother me.

I Googled the strategy and I imagine it is what a therapist would tell me w out the stigma.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi asixstringnut

My moods are very up & down! Some days I feel really good, others I tend to obsess. I find that I need to keep busy, but I can't be permanently busy so sometimes I just go with it & ride it out.
I'm at 8 weeks now so still relatively early days I guess.

Take care.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Depression took me by surprise in early recovery. I guess I didn't read closely enough here at SR because I didn't expect it, but I got hit several times by it. My theory is that all the alcohol numbed my emotions for years and I had to deal with lots of deferred emotion/guilt as I was slowly "coming back to life."