Notices

I'm finished

Old 11-20-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm finished

Hi all
Was here a couple of months earlier with a mindset...I'm off alcohol.i stuck to reading the forum articles n all.most of all I enjoy reading the recovery stories.i marvel at all those who made it thru.i even wonder how they made it.i don't post ....but I do read all.however my day 1 remains day 1 forever I guess.im so weak with a meagre will power n self control.i wish u guys cud give me a magic pill...I wish things many things beyond impossible.i live in a place where there are no AAs n all that.even if they were here I cudnt possibly make myself to go there....hail holy queen people will Kno I'm an addict.i drink watever I can get hold of n wherever..I drink n drive...I drink n go to work(pssst I haven't been caught yet)I'm horrible...I hate myself.pls pls pls help me
Old 11-20-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At least you’re in the right place. SR is a good start. I’m new here and am struggling every day. I just keep coming back and everyday is a new one.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted.
It comes to a time when you've got to help yourself. There's lots of support here, as you know.
Try not drinking for a day. Then try for another day.
I used to go to work drinking, too. But I never let much get in the way of my drinking.
I wish there was a magic pill, too.
Wishing you the best. And you can quit, but you have to want it more than you want to drink.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Dusk. It's my day one too. Why don't we do this together and we can check in with one another if you think it will help? I'm dealing with some pretty hefty feelings of disgust with myself, but you know, this a vicious addiction we are dealing with. You are here because you want to change. So do I. We can do it!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank ful gabe

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Hey Dusk. It's my day one too. Why don't we do this together and we can check in with one another if you think it will help? I'm dealing with some pretty hefty feelings of disgust with myself, but you know, this a vicious addiction we are dealing with. You are here because you want to change. So do I. We can do it!
. I'm in.im in.day one let's help.eachother.wud love to hear more from u.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll see u tomorrow

Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
. I'm in.im in.day one let's help.eachother.wud love to hear more from u.
Ok gabe I'll see u tomorrow.frm where I live
.....it's time sleep.take care n be a good gal
Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I'm glad you posted.
It comes to a time when you've got to help yourself. There's lots of support here, as you know.
Try not drinking for a day. Then try for another day.
I used to go to work drinking, too. But I never let much get in the way of my drinking.
I wish there was a magic pill, too.
Wishing you the best. And you can quit, but you have to want it more than you want to drink.
thank u so so much
Old 11-20-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there!
I'm sorry that things are not going well and you're so frustrated with yourself right now. I've been there. I'd make it two or three days and go back. What was worse, the cause of this vicious cycle was after I had been sober for almost 10 months and then I relapsed…

May I ask what happens to you when you stop drinking for a day? Most people when they first attempt to stop drinking don't just have to mourn the loss of giving up something that they've loved for so long. There's usually more to it.

Do you feel sick? Are you sweaty, shaky, anxious, itchy, depressed, sleeping all day, unable to sleep at night, and/or filled with a horrible feeling of dread? If you've been drinking heavily for at least the last 6 months or more, these symptoms are usually something that become normal. People may account that they're depressed or anxious, when it's really withdraw in some form.

People who asked me "How do you deal with hangovers?" My answer: I don't get hangovers. I'm fine for 12-24 hours and then I'm not good for several weeks after. A bloody Mary and a Denny's fry up does not help me.

Have you, (trust me I did NOT want to do this after I was trying to get sober and failed for the second, third, and umpteenth time) reached out to your family physician, ER, a detox center or anyone in the medical field. Even if you feel you're not suffering from physical withdrawl, if you're struggling with making it just one day you most likely are.

You may have heard some people taper off of booze, but it only works for a very small percentage and it's HELL. Don't beat yourself up if that's what you've tried. The failure rate when trying to do that is crazy high.

Whether you're going cold turkey or going slowly off of it, if you don't get medical help, not only can that be very dangerous, it's Extremely uncomfortable for a long time. It's why people usually fail without help. This then leads to more drinking because of the shame and disappointment.

I firmly believe you definitely CAN get sober. You don't have to check yourself into a fancy facility. At the very least, get some blood work done and advice. Addiction, especially alcoholism, is so prevalent these days that if a doc judges you, they are ignorant in their own field.

I like to compare getting sober/clean to somebody who is 600 pounds. Now, imagine if that 600 pound person has been binge eating several thousand calories a day and hasn't exercised for decades. A small few, a very, very small few, can set up their own healthy diet and exercise program with no medical supervision. They will stick with it long term or forever all on their own. They don't injure themselves and somehow their body accepts the changes without repercussions. It's so rare that this happens that those types of people end up in documentaries on the BBC.

You certainly don't seem like the type person that would look down at somebody in that situation and think they're weak and horrible if they can't stick with a diet and exercise plan even trying on day one. You would most likely tell them to use every resource at their disposal, especially medical supervision and peer support.

Get a check up. Confide in at least one close friend and medical professional. Besides finally admitting that things are getting out of control, what you've already done, these next steps will lay the groundwork to start you on the path of sobriety.

Don't give up.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting Dusk.

When I started posting here at SR, I was a mess of emotions and guilt. One person reached out to me who was in a very similar situation as myself. We became a sort of pen pals as he lived halfway across the world from me. We would check in almost daily with each other, being 100% open about our feelings and emotions.

The reason I bring this up is because you've been offered this and I'm glad to see you are taking advantage of it. Lean on US, because we've leaned on others. As mentioned, just plan on not drinking today. Don't think about tomorrow.

You can do this!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do it Dusk--and when you get some days of sobriety under your belt,
your feelings of anxiety, guilt, disgust will start to fade and you will
feel better day by day. . .
That's how it happened for me.
It was hard the first week or two, and then I began to see the rewards
and feel better about myself physically and emotionally.
Sending you a hug. You deserve to feel better
and you can do it
Old 11-20-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok gabe I'll see u tomorrow.frm where I live
.....it's time sleep.take care n be a good gal
Hey Dusk. Ending day one here. Hope you are doing OK and get a good sleep. It's been a tough day but it gets easier. Let's do this again tomorrow. Day one Sober - done!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I drink n drive...I drink n go to work(pssst I haven't been caught yet)
I am currently in the personal hell of a DUI... please don't drink and drive and get caught or worse.
You do have one thing on your side - this place. Here you will find people more understanding than anywhere else cos they (and I) have been through similar things. You aren't alone.
Do one thing different this minute, this hour, this day and then keep stacking things that take you away from drinking. Make it through one day, then open your eyes and make it through one more.... keep going. Most people find it good to post. If you don't have a lot to say, you can still post in the gratitude threads, the monthly threads, the 24 hours sober thread. Do a check in to keep yourself accountable... read here a lot!! You may find out some things that are not helping you to get away from the vicious circle of drinking such as PAWS, sugar, triggers, etc. (everyone is different).
I understand about not wanting people to know. That's ok... you don't have to publicize it in some grand way... you just have to deep down, honestly own up to it to yourself.. and then want to do something about it. I don't go to AA (not that it isn't a wonderful thing for some - it just isn't my cup of tea). You can start your own plan. Or if you have severe or hindering withdrawal, get a doc that will help you.
Sending you good vibes and congrats --> on day 1!!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dusk - I was in the same frame of mind when I joined SR. I'd been drinking for many years, completely dependent on it. I never thought it would be possible to get free of it - but I did - almost 10 yrs. ago. The thing I once lived for, hardly crosses my mind. We're here to help - we know you can do it. You sound ready this time.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dusk

keep posting - reading is good but there's something about being an active member here that really helps.

All those stories you've read here are from people just like you and me - they all started at the same point - a desire to quit drinking

Why not check out our November support thread - it's for everyone trying to quit this month,

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-pt-2-a-3.html

All you need to do to join is post.

D

ps soulshine makes a great point - no judgement, but please don't drink and drive anymore - I hear of so many bad things happening that way.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Morning Dusk. How you feeling today? Im a little shaky and freaked out but happy to be taking on day 2. Are you doing it with me today? It'll feel good to know that I'll be sober going to bed tonight. Im going to join the 24 hour thread too. We just need to not drink for 24 hours. We can do that!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank ful gabe

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Morning Dusk. How you feeling today? Im a little shaky and freaked out but happy to be taking on day 2. Are you doing it with me today? It'll feel good to know that I'll be sober going to bed tonight. Im going to join the 24 hour thread too. We just need to not drink for 24 hours. We can do that!
hi Gabe..I'm at work..haven't drank yet..yes m doin it wit u.congrats for day 2
Old 11-20-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hi Gabe..I'm at work..haven't drank yet..yes m doin it wit u.congrats for day 2
Good for you Dusk! Hope you have a good day and I'll check in with you later. Its hard but we can do it.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Keep up the good work y'all, one breath, one hour, one day at a time....Think that every breath you take, every minute that goes by still sober is one minute closer to sobriety, freedom, contentment. You can do it, just don't pick up a drink. In the very early days I would stuff my face with food, drink bottles of Gatorade, and come here often to read about what my future would be like if si just stayed sober.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dusk, Yay for Day 2! You can do this.

There is so much support here and I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi all
Was here a couple of months earlier with a mindset...I'm off alcohol.i stuck to reading the forum articles n all.most of all I enjoy reading the recovery stories.i marvel at all those who made it thru.i even wonder how they made it.i don't post ....but I do read all.however my day 1 remains day 1 forever I guess.im so weak with a meagre will power n self control.i wish u guys cud give me a magic pill...I wish things many things beyond impossible.i live in a place where there are no AAs n all that.even if they were here I cudnt possibly make myself to go there....hail holy queen people will Kno I'm an addict.i drink watever I can get hold of n wherever..I drink n drive...I drink n go to work(pssst I haven't been caught yet)I'm horrible...I hate myself.pls pls pls help me
Dusk
I can so relate to your post. Thank you for posting it. I like you have tried to quit so many times that I honestly have lost track on how many day ones I have had.
I am on day 21 today and it is better but it is a hard road to walk.
I have finally figured out that if I pick up a drink again it could be the one that kills me. If I drink I might never make it back to this site.
You can do this but you have to want it more than you want that damn drink.
Best of luck to you. Keep posting and reading. There is a lot of help and support here.

asixstringnut