Notices

I'm eating like a trucker!

Old 11-17-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm eating like a trucker!

Within the first few weeks or months of recovery… Did anybody ever have the issue with wanting to eat a ton of carbs. It is very hard for me eat three healthy meals a day. I mean, I am so used to getting my calories from booze. Now I feel like I can eat like 4000 calories. I eat fresh fruits and vegetables but alas, I feel like I'm craving burritos, pizza, and pasta with a lot of cheese as much as I've been craving alcohol.

I hope I'm not developing a new addiction.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the club. I would barely eat, but was like a professional chow hound on those TV shows for the first month or so clean.
Our bodies get so malnourished they are fiending for it. Though it will calm down. Stay off the booze, eat what you need, and let things settle down when the time comes.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lol. Me too.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me three! I barely touched food when I was drinking, I guess the beer filled my stomach. I also preferred drinking when hungry - I could get drunk quicker and on less booze.

I've also been craving carbs and sugar; crisps, chocolate, bread, and weirdly Cheesestrings. But I was also desperately craving fruit, I think my poor body was crying out for vitamins and nourishment. The closest I have come to a fruit in months is the grapes in my nightly two bottles of Merlot!

On Monday I want to start working out for thirty minutes in the morning before work. It is possible now I am waking up without a hangover! Morning exercise is a great buzz and you feel energised the rest of the day.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Me four!!!
I craved really badly first 2 months, especially sweet stuff. It is beginning to settle down now 3+ months.
I personally would give in to it, as it helped with the alcohol cravings.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I am definitely eating lots of food and none of it good. Right now I am letting it go and focusing on the more important things of my situation. Once those things calm a bit I will be focused on eating healthy and exercising. But yes I am feeling the same way.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Absolutely, eating like there's no tomorrow. On Day 23 here. At first I just wanted calories, good and bad, didn't matter. At lots of chips, cheese, cookies, whatever. Now I have incorporated lots of fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts and lean protein so my nutrition has gotten a lot better. Whether it's low blood sugar or something else, I have discovered for me that if I don't eat something every Gotwo hours or so I start to feel a bit woozy and that's when Wolfie (my AV) starts to sneak in. I literally have to plan snacks and meals for the whole day. But it works for me, it really does. Goes the same for drinking water often.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's pretty much like this…

Old 11-18-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I stuffed my face like a starved pig for the first two months. Now I've started eating less/better and have lost 15 LBS in the last month and a half. But yeah, I was getting calories from booze and didn't eat at all, so all food tasted so good in the beginning of sobriety.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Checking in midday on day 7. It feels really good to make it this far. Have a great weekend everyone
Old 11-18-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

^^^^^
Well maybe I'm not doing as good as I thought since I totally posted my november class checkin in the wrong thread...lol
Old 11-19-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's OK! We all like hearing those days.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was eating a lot more, but now finding that i'm drinking coffee with sugar until noon. The coffee makes me crave when I don't have food in me, so I'll have to watch that.

I'm eating healthier, but also have a cheat session after dinner if I get a good workout in.

Halloween and holiday chocolate bags have been tricky to avoid.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I'm glad I'm not alone.
A lot of people talk about craving sweets. I'm craving a lot of savory things like cheese and crackers, hot dogs, pizza, bread, and, no joke, rare meat.