Notices

Nalthrexone experience any body?

Old 11-17-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nalthrexone experience any body?

Taked to my psychiatrist about quitting alcohol. He DID NOT reccomend going cold turkey in my case, and advised low dose of Nalthrexone ( Revia brand name ) for a month to get of daily binging,
Has any of you has had an experience with it. It suppose to stop one from craving alcohol.
hope you all are having a peaceful Friday night.
IG
Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My doc wrote a script for it and after a while I decided not to go through with taking it. I've heard that there can be some crappy side effects and after going through withdrawal I don't really want to have any more crappy side effects. That said, a couple of people I know took it and they said that it didn't work or it made the cravings worse… Not sure why. That's my only experience with it.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a note guys - methods involving using naltrexone to somehow 'drink safely' are off topic for discussion here for obvious reasons.

Discussions about naltrexone being used in an abstinence based programme are fine.

Dee
SR
Old 11-17-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can search here on the forum as there are countless topics on it. Just like any med, you will get across the board reviews from it doing nothing to it was the miracle the needed to get off the sauce.
Keep in touch with your doc or therapist and if they think it may be a good idea, there is nothing wrong with having your arsenal as stocked as possible for the battle against your addiction.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Naltrexone user here. For me, it's been a miracle with no side effects whatsoever.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have used naltrexone and for me it is a drug that works exactly as advertised. I did try to drink while on it but couldn't even finish a beer; it just didn't seem appealing. For about a week I did feel as if I had a slight hangover, but that went away. It helped me quite a bit.