Notices

First holiday....sober

Old 11-17-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First holiday....sober

I'm heading away for the weekend tomorrow across the water. It'll be my first holiday with no alcohol, and I am going back to visit a place I lived in for study, so I have many friends there. All day today (having the holiday vibes) I've craved a drink. I don't particularly want one... but at the same time my brain is telling me I do!

Usually the night before holidays I would always have drinks. I have kept myself busy and avoided. But all I can think of is having a drink. It's so annoying. It's a real battle in my mind.

I'm off it 7 weeks.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's tricky at first. The first two months were really hard on/for me, I made it there three times and broke. I was actually sober over the holidays last year for the first time. It's a battle. Finally I realized I just needed to avoid social situations with drinking at all costs. Of course on the holidays I still have to hang out with family, some of which are heavy drinkers, and some of which are recoving alcoholics like myself.

Hang in there! I'll be having my second sober holidays this year, coming up on 10 months sober I'm still freaked out about the whole thing and really waiting for new years to get here. NYE ends up being espically hard for me because I have to DJ a party and be in the mix of all the drunks. At least now drunk people annoy me.

When I was drunk all the time I never actually noticed drunken people, now they jump right out like a sore thumb.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My advice is to make an action plan starsabove.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 11-19-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What are you looking forward to doing on your sober holiday stars? 🌟
Old 11-19-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can only echoe Dees words

But for me, you have to not want it. My desire was for the better life alcohol free life gave me, i could run, i could be a good brother, i could laugh again and be that brother that i could never be before.

That outweighed any desire or requirement to drink, no gin, whiskey or beer can bring me that happiness.

Simply put alcohol brought me pain. That was enough to say no.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that making a firm plan for how you will navigate through the holiday would be so helpful. Congratulations on 7 weeks of sobriety.