Notices

Turkey day!!

Old 11-17-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turkey day!!

For some strange reason, I have decided to make (or is it cook) a turkey!!!! Don't know why, just seemed like a really cool thing to do. Been on my mind for weeks. So today, I bought the bird and a few other things to go along with it. Got beans, mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy mix. Might make a salad.
I know how to make a turkey since I did it many times ages ago when I made most of the dinner for my family. That's at least fifteen years ago.
Just couldn't get this out of my mind like it's something I just have to do.
Wierd. Maybe old-age is catching up to me. Just couldn't get the smell of a turkey cooking and turkey sandwiches out of my mind.
So I will be spending Thanksgiving watching football all day, cooking a turkey and laughing the whole time. A little insane but very funny. Just wanted to share. John
Old 11-17-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great plan, John - very nice

The turkey sandwiches on the days following Thanksgiving are THE BEST!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Jon.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That sounds like a cool idea. Do you know of anyone who'll be alone on that day? You could invite them to dinner. Either that, or make turkey sandwiches and give them to some homeless people.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds great John - enjoy!

D
Old 11-17-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
That sounds like a cool idea. Do you know of anyone who'll be alone on that day? You could invite them to dinner. Either that, or make turkey sandwiches and give them to some homeless people.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't know anybody that will be alone on Thanksgiving, but the idea of giving sandwiches to homeless people sounds great. Believe it or not, finding places to volunteer during Thanksgiving isn't easy. I went on-line and checked everywhere, but can't find anywhere where I live to help. Don't get it. Would love to help out at a shelter where I live but can't find any. Just get regular volunteering stuff. You'd think this time of year there would be plenty of opportunities. Maybe organizations already have a lot of people so don't advertise. A real loss, cause I'm off all next week. Pretty much open to anything. John
Old 11-17-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you, John! Nothing says Thanksgiving more than smelling turkey roasting in the oven.

Enjoy.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Opivotal View Post
Good for you, John! Nothing says Thanksgiving more than smelling turkey roasting in the oven.

Enjoy.
I will!!!! Really looking forward to it. The lady working in the store I bought from felt sorry for me cause she asked me how many people I was cooking for. I just said me. She said aw, and looked pretty sad about that. Nice lady, but I wished I was dead at that time. Have not felt that alone in a long time. Really hurt. Thinking of being plastered this week and pretty bombed while roasting the turkey. Much easier to enjoy the football games and turkey without thinking I am alone. Go Vikings, go Stealers and Redskins. Green Bay maybe. Those are real football teams. John
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

John, I can sure understand how you felt in the store. Believe it or not, there are many people spending Thanksgiving alone.

Keeping busy with cooking is an excellent way to fill the day and do something special for yourself.

You're worth it!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love this post. Sounds like a great day. Thank you, John!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please don't drink. That lady was condescending but if you drink, you'll be the one hurting. That was rude of her. Ignore that ignorant crap.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I will!!!! Really looking forward to it. The lady working in the store I bought from felt sorry for me cause she asked me how many people I was cooking for. I just said me. She said aw, and looked pretty sad about that. Nice lady, but I wished I was dead at that time. Have not felt that alone in a long time. Really hurt. Thinking of being plastered this week and pretty bombed while roasting the turkey. Much easier to enjoy the football games and turkey without thinking I am alone. Go Vikings, go Stealers and Redskins. Green Bay maybe. Those are real football teams. John
Heavens, don't drink, John. Please don't ruin your plans for the turkey roasting or to enjoy the games by drinking our poison.

You deserve so much better than that.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissOverIt View Post
Please don't drink. That lady was condescending but if you drink, you'll be the one hurting. That was rude of her. Ignore that ignorant crap.
I really think she meant well but don't know. She was very nice helping me find stuff so I don't think she meant any harm. She probably didn't understand what it's like to be alone during a holiday.
I actually don't have any problem with being alone this holiday for some reason. Maybe I've finally moved on. Really bothered me last year but not this time. Might post more often here to feel connected to people. Not sure what's going on with me, but that's ok. Saw my psychiatrist a few days ago. He said I'm a real success story. Don't feel that way, but hope he is right. Looking back, with with all those psych wards, treatment centers, detox facilities, and ICU visits I think I understand what he meant. Bad times. Looking forward to Thanksgiving. Much to be thankful for. I'm doing great. John
Old 11-18-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Had two situations this week where a kid had a problem and I was there to help them. Told another kid that he needed to get off his butt and take his education seriously. Nagged that kid all day. Doesn't get any better than that. John
Old 11-18-2017, 01:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissOverIt View Post
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!!! John
Old 11-18-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's fantastic!! I think it's an awesome way to celebrate your sobriety. Hope everything turns out delicious!!
Old 11-19-2017, 01:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

No gravy mix!

When you start the turkey, put the neck and giblets in a saucepan, and add a sliced celery rib, a sliced carrot, a quartered onion, a quartered Apple and a few whole peppercorns. Add 2 cups chicken broth and enough cold water to cover the veggies. Bring to a boil and immediately turn down to a bare simmer and cover, simmer for about 2 1/2 hours while the turkey is roasting, then turn off the heat and reserve.

When the turkey is done, remove to a board and tent with foil. while it’s resting and out of the roasting pans, get rid of some of the oil, and strain the stock and pour over the pan drippings in the roaster, stirring until you get all of the brown bits. In a separate pan, make a roux with about five tbs each of melted butter or bacon fat (google how to do this). Bring the contents of the roasting pan to a slow boil, and add a tablespoon at a time of the roux, stirring after each addition, and stop when gravy is the disired thickness.

You got gravy,