Notices

Very Scared trying to wean off

Old 11-17-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very Scared trying to wean off

OMG I just had a terrible experience...and before I get advice about medical treatment/rehab etc...that's not really an option right now.

I had to leave work shaking today...I thought I was going to pass out...I started to wean off of wine last night so I drank a bit less...work up feeling a bit better...proud I completed my first night of the weaning off...but it was what happened I started physically needing alcohol earlier (obviously I guess) and I was terrified. I know alcohol withdrawal is dangerous and I am also a hypochondriac sort of so it was probably a combo of getting a little shaky and that triggering my fear which turned into a panic attack...at any rate...rushed out to Chilis which was nearby and pounded a long island and back to normal....I'm done...never again...I went out and bought some beers....not even having a desire to drink them but to just control I guess the home detox......any tips? please only tips that are relevant...I am doing this at home...I have a job that I cannot go to rehab....anyhow....love to everyone going through this hell......all your friend greg.....im excited...im ready to be done just want to come down safely
Old 11-17-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dump the booze and do a search for your local AA meetings. They are everywhere and all the time!
Old 11-17-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I get shaky like that and some food fixes it.

In early sobriety I carried candy around with me all the time. One or two pieces of Dove's dark chocolate took the edge off for me.

Sometimes it's just blood sugar, so try that first next time. The beer is a bad plan - I would pitch it.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you guys...I read some stuff about weaning off so I got off the wine and bought a few beers...only having one once I start to feel weird...its like I feel almost dizzy shakyish....I am def an alcoholic big time but never drank during the day or always had booze in my system but I got up to a hectic amount of wine after work like 2 or 2 and a half bottles......so I think I'm just more scared I'm not sure if I will get like the fatal type tremors....but at least if I have the beer around if I get scared I can have one and be safe...I live alone so I'm very scared at going cold turkey...
Old 11-17-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the closest thing I could describe the feeling that made me leave work and pound a long island was a similar one when I gave blood one time and almost felt like I was about to fall into the food table...like that weak/light headed shakey feeling...i was really really shaking
Old 11-17-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, the first couple days are pretty awful, no two ways around it.

You didn't say why you won't go to a doctor - but that's always the recommendation because no two people are exactly alike. I did a taper, I went from 12 drinks to two on the first day, one on the second day, and less than a half on the third day and I was done. Tapering isn't a very good plan, but it worked for me - only because I was too ignorant of the potential consequences AND I had alcohol in the house. So, I get it - just don't drag it out for more than a couple days, because at some point you just have to jump off and live with the discomfort. There will be anxiety and shakiness and nausea and inability to sleep and all kinds of stuff.

An office visit and a couple days of inexpensive pills would mitigate the chance of more serious withdrawals. It would be irresponsible of me not to suggest that: not expensive, much less uncomfortable, safer.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I kinda cringe when people use beer as some kind of 'safer alcohol' cos it's not.

Alcohol is alcohol.

You can get into just as much trouble on beer as you can on vodka...or wine for that matter.

The trouble with keeping beers around is there can be no end to it...if you get to the end of that six pack and still feel scared of withdrawal, what then?

Why not just bite the bullet and seeing a Dr instead greg?

D
Old 11-17-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey. I'm sorry that you're going through all this. I've been there.
I'm not a medical professional by any means. All in all, you should at least pop in to see the doctor. This is also imperative if you have any other existing health issues like diabetes or high blood pressure. If that's the case go to the doctor and don't just rely on the forums.

I'm just telling you some advice that helped me. Admins, feel free to delete this post if it's not allowed. I'm a total noob here, so sorry in advance if this is considered medical advice -y.

I first want to just ask you couple questions. I get it. You need to work. I was in the same boat. I could not afford to go to a 30+ day rehab a second time around. Have you thought of the option to go to the hospital just for detox over the weekend. Just a few days? After you detox, the docs can't force you to stay in the hospital unless you are experiencing some form of severe mental or physical health issue that would cause you to be a risk to yourself or others without them intervening . They can't force you to go to rehab, either. However, they can set you up with intensive outpatient relapse prevention groups. A lot of these meet in the evenings, so you can go after work. They can also set you up with a therapist. These two things can help supplement 12 step meetings if you choose to utilize them.

Tapering is really, really hard. Can you at least stay with a friend or family member? Or have them stay with you? They'll be able to comfort you when you're stressed out, monitor your tapering so you don't fall back, and be there for you in case something does happen that requires immediate attention. They could maybe stay the night? Especially in the first few days.

The main answer to your question. If you're absolutely set on tapering alone, which again, I don't recommend, here are some things that helped me. Buy a high-quality, high potency multivitamin. Folic acid, vitamin C, magnesium, zinc, and especially B1 (thiamin) are very important right now for your body. You'd be amazed how quickly you'll feel better once you replenish your vitamins. Grab several bottles of Pedialyte or Gatorade. You may need to get your electrolytes in order and get rehydrated and water won't do it alone. Don't get the low-calorie Gatorade. The regular Gatorade has more sugar and will help with shakiness and cravings if blood sugar is an issue. Buy a low-cost thermometer and blood pressure cuff. Monitor them. If your blood pressure gets very high and doesn't go down after a while get to a doctor. I did have to do that at one point. No one forced me to go anywhere.

You may not have an appetite for a few days. Some broth, soup, crackers, toast, Jell-O or pudding is good. Try to see if you can stomach some meal replacements like Ensure. Do your best to eat something a few times a day. If you do have an appetite and you start to crave sugar or fatty foods. Treat yourself. It's not like you're going to gain 80 pounds in a few weeks. Sometimes some comfort food can really take the edge off of things.

If you taper properly, it should only take a few days. Don't stretch it out. That's hardest part and can pull you back in. You will know when you feel better. Once you do feel better, dump the booze immediately! Throw it down the drain. If you can't do it, have a friend do it. Don't throw the bottle or cans in the garbage. Throw it in a dump somewhere. Get it completely out of your house. If you start to crave alcohol, get to a meeting or hang out with someone who doesn't drink--at all! I've once relapsed by hanging out with people that have alcohol in their house and I snuck some gulps.

Sorry about the super long post but this is basically how I did it.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can sympathize with being a bit of a hypochondriac and anxiety prone. For years, I've expected my drinking to rear its ugly head any second and cause my liver to explode plunging me into mind-bending agony. Any vague medical symptom would make me want to call my doctor's office. All of those so-called "emergencies" turned out to be nothing or nothing alcohol related.

I also used to suffer from anxiety attacks and actually had a single panic attack. Doc put me on meds. I didn't like them so I weaned myself off, and managed to find my own ways of dealing with anxiety (reading the Bible is one of them).

Finally, this past week the medical problem was real when my bile ducts decided to take a vacation. They're starting to come back online, so to speak, but it was enough of a wake up call to get my attention. Third night sober coming up.

Never had the experiences you've described, though. I've gotten a lot of advice about how dangerous it is to go cold turkey and not be under medical care, but so far, so good. That said, my previous attempts at weaning myself just resulted in my doing more drinking. At least for me, it's got to be all or nothing, though I can't say weaning might not work for someone else.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Exactly oldwriter. I've never been able to taper without some sort of support. For me it was either all or nothing.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey all. After the crazy shakes today I honestly have zero desire to get intoxicated ever again. Even though it has been a daily routine. After a few beers to just avoid cold turkey health issues I'm actually feeling hungover. Which I assume is good as I haven't felt hungover in a while due to my drinking.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Did you toss to any of the extra?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Update. So was drinking 2 to 2.5 bottles of wine a nite. Started to try a taper of 1.5 night prior to tonight. Was buzzed enough to go to bed "normal" and sleep. Went to work and got shakes had to leave terrified.

Pounded a Long Island. Shakes and anxiety subsided a bit. Bought 8 beers to begin taper in earnest. Drank 7. I was afraid if I woke up in distress I would at lease have something.

Didn't sleep at all. So I feel kinda weak a little shaky but more like the kinda shaky you get from not sleeping. I almost fell asleep a few times but actually got scared thinking is this like a DT or something?! I probably have just forgotten the feeling of "falling" asleep.

The good news is yesterday scared the hell out of me. I have literally zero desire to drink or ever get drunk again.

So in that aspect I feel comfortable with a self taper. I just want to be medically safe.

So recap.

1). Bottle and a half of wine
2). Long Island. Slowly drank 7 beers.
3). (Today) 6 beers only having one if I start feeling weird.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Withdrawing is hell, and I don't envy you. I have successfully tapered although it is not recommended on this forum. You only have to get through this once, then you can never drink again. Wish you the best.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Personally, tapering would never work for me, especially alone. One drink leads to 10, 12....once the alcohol is in my system. If it was me, I'd take some time off work, commit to stop drinking completely, go see the doctor and/or check in to a hospital or recovery facility. I spent four days in the hospital a few weeks ago after a bad binge and it was well worth it. Supervised me with iv fluids (I was very low on sodium and potassium), gave me Ativan to relax, and watched me for DTs. I am on Day 23 now and feel like a completely new person.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Keep us updated.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by greg198499 View Post
Update. So was drinking 2 to 2.5 bottles of wine a nite. Started to try a taper of 1.5 night prior to tonight. Was buzzed enough to go to bed "normal" and sleep. Went to work and got shakes had to leave terrified.

Pounded a Long Island. Shakes and anxiety subsided a bit. Bought 8 beers to begin taper in earnest. Drank 7. I was afraid if I woke up in distress I would at lease have something.

Didn't sleep at all. So I feel kinda weak a little shaky but more like the kinda shaky you get from not sleeping. I almost fell asleep a few times but actually got scared thinking is this like a DT or something?! I probably have just forgotten the feeling of "falling" asleep.

The good news is yesterday scared the hell out of me. I have literally zero desire to drink or ever get drunk again.

So in that aspect I feel comfortable with a self taper. I just want to be medically safe.

So recap.

1). Bottle and a half of wine
2). Long Island. Slowly drank 7 beers.
3). (Today) 6 beers only having one if I start feeling weird.
That doesn't really sound like you are tapering.

Drinking as soon as symptoms of withdrawal start is just drinking. Withdrawal is uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable. If you can't deal with that you need medical help.

Looks like you had eight drinks yesterday? That's not even close to a taper.

I think if you can't get down to two today, go to Urgent Care.

Tapering doesn't work for everyone, be honest - you're just drinking.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
That doesn't really sound like you are tapering.

Drinking as soon as symptoms of withdrawal start is just drinking. Withdrawal is uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable. If you can't deal with that you need medical help.

You had eight drinks yesterday. That's not even close to a taper.

I think if you can't get down to two today, go to Urgent Care.

Tapering doesn't work for everyone, be honest - you're just drinking.
I'd like to add to biminiblue's post. As mentioned, a lot of people will discourage tapering. It's not that any of us feel that were mightier than you. It's just that tapering is so very hard. Part of the problem with addiction is, at least for me, it was all, like, "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired! I'm ready to live a new life! I'm just gonna have a couple of glasses of wine to get rid of these horrible physical and mental feelings". Many times I try to taper and it only lasted a couple of days or even a couple of hours.

After several times at sobriety with rehab, 12 steps, therapy, etc... I did make the decision. I finally did taper, but it was very, very hard. Tapering does not take away any of the discomfort of not drinking. It's like having the flu and taking the Tylenol for your fever and muscle aches. Tylenol is not going to completely make the discomfort go away.

Before I begin I dumped out every other type of alcohol I had in the house… Even if it wasn't mine! I got rid of all the bottles and boxes. It sounds stupid, but seeing those huge big containers where indeed a trigger.

During the process, I was very anxious and my stomach was messed up. I had trouble sleeping and was very depressed. and very unmotivated to do anything else but snack on some light food and watch TV. The tapering process involved no more than one 10 ounce glass of wine to start with and worked down from there over three days. I did not pour freely. I measured it with a measuring cup.

We're talking less than 25 ounces total during that entire three days. It was not a bottle. It was not a big box of Franzia. It wasn't hard liquor. You absolutely must not use hard liquor to taper. It's just not gonna work. It's just too darn hard due to its potency. I had bought two of those little 500 ml boxes of wine…about a hair over 3 normal 5 ounce glass servings per box. When there was a bit left I immediately dumped it down the drain, through the box in thw trash, and took the trash out to the dumpster. That was hard.

I also let friends know what was up who checked up on me constantly via phone or text. If I didn't respond in over half an hour, even if I was asleep, they were knocking on my door. It's not something that you do completely discreetly.

It was something I independently, finally decided to do for real. I was at my rock-bottom living in filth, I am obese, unfit, and in finacial ruin and I was pretty fit and had some pretty fit credit before I started all this! Also, I was a step away from losing a lot of friends, my job, and everything that I've clawed my way to get. This was not a fear or a prediction… This was a reality.

Like the previous poster said, you will definitely feel very uncomfortable for a few days but it does get better. I promise. If you're puking or having diarrhea a lot combined with either shaking, sweating, or itchy and twitchy… At least look into a detox program. There is no shame in any of that.

We all just want you to be safe and happy… And sober, of course.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, if you drink as soon as you feel uncomfortable, you will not be tapering, or at best it will be prolonging the discomfort. Detoxing from alcohol IS uncomfortable. That's the reason to talk to your dr, so you know that you are safe going through the withdrawals.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for the advice...I am taking information from a few places where medical folks give advice on how to use alcohol to taper off. I know most of you all are just telling me this is wrong...which I appreciate your concern but any advice for what is actually happening would be really helpful. I was drinking between 2 to 2.5 bottles of wine per night. Standard 12% white wine. So that means I was regularly consuming between 10-15 drinks a night. So yes I went down to 8 yesterday spaced throughout the day and never to actually feel any effect. Just every couple of hours. This is how I was instructed. Going to do 6 today. Then 4. etc. down to zero. I'm not sure how this is not tapering or is not helpful? Any day I'm drinking less getting down to zero safely seems like a successful day.

Next thing...I totally get how people who can't control how much they drink this would be hell...for me believe it or not as crazy as it sounds isn't really the case. I actually chose to drink that much as stupid as it sounds. I moved to a new city and my fiance is from overseas and we have been waiting and I'm just here on my own. I used to drink maybe a bottle of wine every few days for fun before. Then I was just here bored watching TV etc. and got into this habit of just drinking through my evening television/relaxing.

I'm no idiot I know 2+ bottles is terrible on the body but because of the amount...my size...the times I drank it...I kind of tricked myself. Apparently the amount I drank made it so I had enough booze in my system through the day that by the time I got back home I had no hang over and would just carry on. I never experienced the withdrawl the shakes a hangover nothing...now I knew what I was doing was bad but sometimes when something is fun we just do it. I never got to the point where I was like this isn't fun I'm just a slave to wine etc. I actually was enjoying myself....tricking myself because I never had any ill side effects...until when I adjusted the amount and schedule that I drank it and got the shakes at work. I total eye opener. So I can honestly say it is no more fun. I have ZERO desire to drink more than my schedule taper....all I care about is never having that feeling again.

Anyhow....I appreciate your concern...I really can control the amount for this process so any advice appreciated.