Blogs

Notices

Very Scared trying to wean off

Old 11-18-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I understand that you're going to do what you want, I think a lot of the posts in this thread will also be directed at the hundreds or thousands of people who will read this, looking for experience and hope.

Please keep us posted on your progress, we all are hoping you succeed.

*edit: and for the record, I was drinking as much as you were and I tapered down in three days to zero. Don't drag it out...it's just prolonging your discomfort.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
AnvilheadII (11-19-2017), Delilah1 (11-24-2017), least (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I understand that you're going to do what you want, I think a lot of the posts in this thread will also be directed at the hundreds or thousands of people who will read this, looking for experience and hope.

Please keep us posted on your progress, we all are hoping you succeed.

*edit: and for the record, I was drinking as much as you were and I tapered down in three days to zero. Don't drag it out...it's just prolonging your discomfort.

Bimini oh man that's soooo encouraging. I CAN do it in 3 days! I just can't get the shakes again at work that was insane!!

Latest update. Not puking. I do feel a little light headed but more like that feeling when you can't get to sleep aka me last night. Little shaky weird feeling in the AM more like the lack of sleep again. Def the anxiety going on. No desire so far to drink for pleasure. No shakes. 2 maintenance light beers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greg198499 For This Useful Post:
biminiblue (11-18-2017), Delilah1 (11-24-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you are working on getting things under control. I definitely believe that you also can do this. Keep coming back to this form for support and questions. Whether it's three small glasses a night of Chardonnay or a couple liters of vodka, everyone here is rooting for everybody else to succeed. Whatever their goals are.

Keep posting how the tapering is doing. It's OK to post how you're feeling, as well.

As mentioned before, hydrate and take a good multivitamin. You may get some sugar cravings. Chocolate milk helped me a lot because it was a liquid and hits your system pretty quick… Plus, it's damn delicious!

Melatonin helps with sleep.

Once you feel better, if you don't want to go the 12 step route or therapy, do something nice for yourself. Get yourself a nice haircut and buy yourself a new swanky outfit. It helps with identifying as a new, healthier you. I'm a night and weekend drinker. I don't have any children, so I found it helpful to join a gym or go to a workout class. I'm basically waking up at 5:30 and getting back home around 9 or 10 o'clock at night. I spend some time friends and family, then it's off to bed around 11 -11:30.

Keep on keeping on.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would advise against melatonin. It gave me horrible nightmares, and that kind of borders on medical advice (which they don't allow on this site,) to tell people to take specific supplements Ilovepi. You don't know if it's safe for them.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Is some of the light headed slightly almost want to shake thing perhaps related to lack of all that sugar I must have been drinking? I walked to the store to get supplies and felt a little off but mostly just sleep deprived. I followed someone's advice and got a chocolate bar and Gatorade. Instead of doing a maintenance beer I ate that and drank Gatorade and it did the trick
The Following User Says Thank You to greg198499 For This Useful Post:
Ilovepi (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by greg198499 View Post
Bimini oh man that's soooo encouraging. I CAN do it in 3 days! I just can't get the shakes again at work that was insane!!

Latest update. Not puking. I do feel a little light headed but more like that feeling when you can't get to sleep aka me last night. Little shaky weird feeling in the AM more like the lack of sleep again. Def the anxiety going on. No desire so far to drink for pleasure. No shakes. 2 maintenance light beers.
If you are off for the weekend, that's three days, is it?

I have to say, I was shaky for a good week after quitting. I agree that food (specifically sugar) helps a lot. Keep food at your desk.

It's going to take some time, you're not to going to feel magically better as soon as you quit. That is the price of admission to alcohol dependency.

I didn't get a good night's sleep for about three weeks. Just stay the course, deal with the anxiety at work and know that anything is temporary, it will pass.

Is some of the light headed slightly almost want to shake thing perhaps related to lack of all that sugar I must have been drinking? I walked to the store to get supplies and felt a little off but mostly just sleep deprived. I followed someone's advice and got a chocolate bar and Gatorade. Instead of doing a maintenance beer I ate that and drank Gatorade and it did the trick
...and, yes! We cross posted That's how I got through early days, too. Lots of food, lots of carbs.
The Following User Says Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
greg198499 (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
If you are off for the weekend, that's three days, is it?

I have to say, I was shaky for a good week after quitting. I agree that food (specifically sugar) helps a lot. Keep food at your desk.

It's going to take some time, you're not to going to feel magically better as soon as you quit. That is the price of admission to alcohol dependency.

I didn't get a good night's sleep for about three weeks. Just stay the course, deal with the anxiety at work and know that anything is temporary, it will pass.
Thank you all so much. Doing these updates is really helping me. You all are fantastic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greg198499 For This Useful Post:
biminiblue (11-19-2017), Ilovepi (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So I had been merrily drinking my 2.5 bottles of wine each night after work having a grand old time playing my guitar watching youtube shows...CHILLING...but i started to feel a bit weird maybe in the week leading up to the episode at work...as the months rolled by I kept thinking man I really am ANXIOUS these days...and chalked it up to moving to a new city and about to get married all new things etc...but now that I see how this all played out that wasn't anxiety...i BELIEVE it was me teetering on the brink of daily withdrawal because it would be towards the end of the day and as soon as I got home and even just sipped wine the anxiety left....also I had to sign some apartment documents and was embarassingly shaky which SHOCKED me...again that was something I had to do AFTER work...so on Friday when I had that episode of feeling like I wanted to pass out/dizzy/massive shaking....I guess I finally just saw what was probably waiting minutes or hours later each night I was doing this with seemingly no effects....

so FYI to others or perhaps I am just off base I don't know in my assessment
Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yeah. I didn't really know what withdrawals were regarding alcohol until I went to rehab. I just thought I was an anxious, moody person. There's a lot of noise pollution at my job, so I thought that's why I would get anxious to get home. You'll feel 100% more awesome and a lot more well rested in a bit. Promise!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilovepi For This Useful Post:
DarklingSong (11-18-2017), greg198499 (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So coming up on bed time of day 2 and feel strangely normal considering on Friday afternoon I had uncontrollable shaking and the feeling I was about to pass out or almost like epileptic type feeling...I guess fairly normal alcohol dependency withdrawal symptoms...which scared the you know what out of me and prompted me to change my life...

Its really weird for the most part I feel completely normal...ocassional hot/cold but mostly just that weird feeling when you haven't slept in a day (I couldn't fall asleep last night) I hope nothing scary happens over night...all this talk of death and DTs and seizures has me pretty panicked especially since I feel basically normal...just not drinking tired and kinda bored...I spaced out my 5 taper down light beers over 10 hours...so basically didn't feel any effects of alcohol but just used them to be safe for the detox. I was planning to drop down to 6 but didn't even think I need that one...just going to have #5...let that settle for a while and hopefully get some sleep...
Old 11-19-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good morning new SR friends. So here is the latest update. I finally slept last night! Nodded off on the couch...TV on low just because I guess my "comfort" TV would be the news so put on some news and nodded off for a few hours. Thought okay awesome and packed up and went to bed...could...not...sleep. I believe it is because that is the same place I went to bed buzzed/passed out each night. So for those of us recovering at home in the same location where we can't change much...I think if you are having trouble sleeping maybe try a different room or your couch or anywhere else? I say this because I went back to my couch and slept for a few more hours no problem.

I was definitley more dehydrated and sweating loads last night/today which is weird considering I spent the day ingesting far lest alcohol and tons of gatorade...but I see this as a good sign...my body must be kicking into overtime getting rid of the poison.

No shakes no seizures really nothing...I used to drink like "normal" person...and I feel honestly the exact same as I did back when I was a "normal" drinker and would have numerous days off...this just feels like any other day off. So I'm hoping that I am through the woods for any of the scary stuff.

I really have no desire to have any alcohol today but want to complete the step down safe so I guess I will consume these last three light beers throughout the day to make sure I am totally stepped down before tomorrow.

So glad my moment of awakening happened over a weekend...and thank you all for helping me through...will report in later!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greg198499 For This Useful Post:
biminiblue (11-19-2017), Hawkeye13 (11-20-2017), Ilovepi (11-19-2017), Tatsy (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sounds good, greg. Why don't you try two instead of three? Or even just one? The sooner the better.
least (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

At the end of my drinking career, I would get the shakes (along with a lot of anxiety) the day after drinking.

Of course my solution, have a beer, fixed the problem for a few hours. The problem was, I needed to have a low level of alcohol in my system at all times, to avoid the shaking and anxiety. When you are trying to keep your drinking secret from your family, your employer, etc. that's a huge challenge.

The only solution I found, was to get medical help. Seeing a Dr. at a "prompt care" facility or the ER, and having them check my vitals and prescribe some medication to help with the shakes and anxiety fixed the problem.

Of course, being a true alcoholic, I had to do this on more than one occasion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebra1275 For This Useful Post:
oldmate (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:41 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well with the tapering. . As the other post said, try to go down to two or one beers. Or you can split them up and drink little amounts.

I just want to throw it out there that a few days after you finally have your last drink, it seems that it's really common to get crazy night sweats and moderate anxiety for some people . You won't feel overheated, it's really weird, you just sweat a ton. If that wakes you up at night, keep a few spare clean sheets nearby and jump in the shower for a few minutes.

On a positive note, your body seems to be handling this pretty well, so if you do have any of these problems , it usually only lasts for a half an hour… It's usually not like the entire night, it may just feel like it.

Stay strong.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

How's it going, greg?
Hawkeye13 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

Oh yeah I already have been having the night sweats the last two nights so I think even though I am just tapering I am already getting through some of the initial withdrawal.

So woke up feeling good today...got more sleep still not great but better. I was sailing through work when at 2pm...the same time I had my initial shakes/anxiety/wakeup call last friday i started to tighten up...get light headed...anxiety...more shaky than usual and I"m like OMG I literally can't leave work again...so I chugged 2 gatorades and ate a chocolate bar and I was okay....so I'm thinking that wine was so damn full of sugar that I might be getting some sort of sugar low...I was initially scared it was like DTs or some death symbol but know I'm thinking I'm probably pretty much okay (fingers crossed) still having my last beer tonite to be safe (I am such a fraidy cat about the cold turkey death syndrome I hear about)....but all and all so far still on track!

Has anyone else noticed that getting some sugar worked?
Old 11-20-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

That's what we've been telling you since page one, greg.

Glad you're making it through. Maybe skip the beer tonight. Why put it off any longer? (Yeah, I know you'll do what you want, I'm not the boss of you, yadda yadda.)
Old 11-20-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

honestly its the fear i read online about quitting and getting a seizure and dying
Old 11-20-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Okay. Just don't fear that so much at this point. You've weaned down, right?
Old 11-20-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

honestly its the fear i read online about quitting and getting a seizure and dying
Toss the last beer as your symbolic last stance to enter sobriety
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forward12 For This Useful Post:
biminiblue (11-20-2017), Ilovepi (11-21-2017)