Notices

He just doesn't get it!

Old 11-18-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
My husband and I were invited to a family wedding in December. The reception is at a PUB with free drinks and there is a pub crawl after. It's gonna be a big drunk fest!

I just RSVP'd that I am not going. WHY WOULD I??? The whole wedding/reception revolves around alcohol! Geeze people!

Well, my husband is upset that I am not going! Everything with his family involves alcohol! EVERYTHING! I'm so sick of it!!!

Am I selfish for protecting my sobriety & not going to this wedding???

Thank you!
NO!!!!!

It is not selfish to decline an invite to ANYTHING that makes you uncomfortable, anxious, or flat out goes against the life you are living now - IMO. I have built a carefully constructed world in sobriety and have found things I simply had to decline (like, Thanksgiving with my family) because they threatened my emotional sobriety. From that, I derive my physical sobriety.

I hope you can accomplish the "not going" with too much turmoil, but IME and IMO, in retrospect I have ALWAYS been glad when I said no (or left early from something) even if looking back it would have been fine for me to go.

Take care of YOU.