SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Predisposed notions (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/419028-predisposed-notions.html)

PinotNOmore 11-16-2017 08:39 PM

Predisposed notions

Last year I had quite a few predisposed notions about what life without alcohol would be like...
*It would be boring as hell. My social life would be non-existent because EVERYBODY drinks so I would be left out and miserable.
*Holidays would suck and be less special somehow because how can you be merry without the Bloody Mary's??
*My husband would find me dull and un-adventurous.
*Everyone would notice that I wasn't drinking and judge me negatively because of it.
*There was just no way I could go a whole year without drinking. It was just part of who I am.

Well... ALL of those things were proved incorrect because as of today,

I AM ONE YEAR SOBER!!!!

And...

* Life is ANYTHING but boring!! My social life is thriving. I do MORE things and go MORE places because I am never worried about not being able to drive home, or worried about being hungover every weekend morning! Also everybody does NOT drink and I rarely feel left out of anything!
*Holidays are soooo much more fun sober!! I go to every event, take my kids to do every activity, am never to tired, never forget to buy the necessary supplies, and get to REMEMBER every special detail!! Plus there are TONS of festive non alcoholic beverages to enjoy!!
*My husband recently told me "he's never loved me more". ❤ And that was in the bathroom, brushing my teeth, sans makeup and unbrushed hair at 6:30 in the morning!! Enough said.
*A few people have noticed I'm not drinking. They ask, I say it just wasn't a good fit for me anymore, and that's that. No big thing at all. People really don't care.
*TOTALLY WRONG!! I could make it a whole year!! I did. And I'm going to make it another one, and hopefully many many more after that!! Things aren't always easy. Sometimes I wish I could have a drink and forget my woes, but then I think back to a year ago... And the years before that, and force myself to REMEMBER why I wanted to quit in the first place. Things are so much easier and happier, and even when a little boring... I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!!

Keep trying. Don't give up. YOU are worth it!!

Ariesagain 11-16-2017 08:55 PM

:c011:

Avra 11-16-2017 08:56 PM

Congrats on one year!
I too had the same notions about what it would be like and was totally wrong! Life is so much better now!

least 11-16-2017 09:02 PM

I am so happy to see this! :) Congrats on the first of many sober years! :scoregood Keep going, it gets better. :hug:

Chuck39 11-17-2017 12:46 AM

Thank you for sharing such an uplifting message and congratulations on ONE year!!! I needed to hear this today. I have similar predisposed notions and I'm glad to hear from someone that's been there and done that, that they're just bunk.

doggonecarl 11-17-2017 03:02 AM

Wonderful to hear...one year!

FLCamper 11-17-2017 03:17 AM

Way to go, that is a great accomplishment!

I had assumed I'd feel left out since everyone else would be drinking without me. Still haven't figured out where all those beer swilling people went. Oh, yeah, I was the only one doing that...

SeanFox87 11-17-2017 03:22 AM

Congratulations on one year and that was a really happy post, thanks for sharing :)

August252015 11-17-2017 03:54 AM

Great post! Congratulations!

joandmelandhan 11-17-2017 04:32 AM

Thank you for your WONDERFUL post! Many congratulations on a year sober. Amazing!

DreamCatcher17 11-17-2017 12:18 PM

:You_Rock_

dwtbd 11-17-2017 02:48 PM

A
w
e
s
o
m
e
:)

Anna 11-17-2017 03:03 PM

That's fantastic!

tekink 11-17-2017 03:04 PM

What a milestone!

:You_Rock_

Dee74 11-17-2017 03:04 PM

I'm really glad to read this PNM - congratulations!

D

SaturatedSeize 11-17-2017 03:27 PM

Congrats on your year! Thanks for sharing:)

PinotNOmore 11-17-2017 05:50 PM

Thank you so much everyone!! Feels so good having a community to share this exciting milestone with!! :tyou

PinotNOmore 11-17-2017 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by FLCamper (Post 6675852)
I had assumed I'd feel left out since everyone else would be drinking without me. Still haven't figured out where all those beer swilling people went. Oh, yeah, I was the only one doing that...

Hahaha!! Right!? :a043:

Hevyn 11-17-2017 05:53 PM

Hi Pinot. :) Those notions and fears are exactly what kept me from getting sober long before I needed to. I was so afraid to let go and face the real world, and my authentic self.

Congratulations on your one year free! We're so proud of you.

PinotNOmore 11-17-2017 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 6676721)
I was so afraid to let go and face the real world, and my authentic self.

Thank you Hevyn, and that's so true! I honestly think I was scared I wouldn't like myself!?! Thank goodness it turns out I'm perfectly fine with the real me! Lol :scoregood