Notices

New to this...

Old 11-16-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this...

I’ve decide to join this forum for support and advice from others struggling with alcoholism!
I am 32 and had my first drink at 14, it made me more confident and outgoing as I was a really withdrawn child due to the household I grew up in. I’ve suffered from depression from as far as I can remember because of my upbringing. Fast forward some years and I have turned from binge drinker to heavy and regular drinker, my stomach has felt like it’s been on fire and I have had blood in my vomit. Obviously this was a wake up call and I went to A&E. All was fine but I have been told if I continue to drink I will seriously damage my body or worse yet die!
It’s only been one day sober and although I’m scared of the possible withdrawals I really don’t want to continue to drink and hurt not only myself but those around me too!
I’d say at my worst I drank between 14-40 units a day, should I go cold turkey?

Many thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, your story sounds like my story. There's hope on the other side!

I had blood in my vomit when I quit drinking as well. That is a sign that you are very sick. We are not doctors here. However, I think you should consult your doctor about how to best detox off alcohol. I had to go to the hospital for 5 days to detox and it was well worth it.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

My story is also very similar to yours. And like Bunny, the first time I quit, I also went to the hospital for detox. I would also suggest speaking with your doctor.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you,
It’s definitely scared me into really wanting to end this cycle of being depressed and drinking, I plan to contact my doctor tomorrow to see how they advise that I go about detox although I’ve already started to get some withdrawal symptoms since my last drink yesterday which was a 2 day heavy binge session. But yes I intend to seek medical advice.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Blood in your vomit is not good and I am sorry it has come to that. But I am happy that you have decided to quit. Please take to heart your situation because if you go back to drinking again it could spell the beginning of the end and that is something we really don't want to see.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, South. Contacting your doctor is an excellent idea. Having medication during withdrawal can make you much more comfortable and ease symptoms.
I was withdrawn as a child and am autistic; I struggle with depression, too and when I had my first drink at 16 it seemed a magic solution which just turned into an horrifying nightmare and nearly led to my death. I developed a strong recovery plan and spend a lot of time here at SR; it has been an immense help to me in my recovery. Wishing you peace and strength in your sober journey.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I say guidance from your doctor is an excellent idea. We are here for you
Old 11-16-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Southl
I'd definitely touch base with your Dr about this - let us know what they say

D
Old 11-17-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies, day 2 n so far I’ve had sweats n generally felt low, I feel like I could easily have a drink but I’m not going to do that, still trying to get s doctors app for today but in the meantime just keeping my mind busy as that’s were it normally all starts for me...
Really glad I can across this website
Old 11-17-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You'll likely get cravings, don't give in to them. Wish you the best.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So never managed to get an appointment with my doctor but luckily today I’m not actually feeling to bad symptom wise apart from feeling depressed but between the trouble I caused in the last few months and more so last week that’s not surprising, has been hard to walk past bars, off liscences etc today but I’ve decided I’m not giving in, rebuilding my life is more important than ruining it further. Thank you again to everyone that has dropped me a line

Last edited by Southl; 11-18-2017 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Missed content