Notices

So far the toughest night yet

Old 11-16-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So far the toughest night yet

Tonight as I sit here waiting for my day 4 to be completed, I find this day to be the hardest challenge to face. The thoughts that r coming to my head are, 'I have done it for 3 days, therefore I don't have a problem' 'just for tonight' I have forgotten the guilt shame and failure I experienced just 72 hours ago. I have forgotten how I cud open a bottle not close it. I have forgotten the reason y I decided to quit. Tonight is the toughest. Tonight I feel good. Tonight's battle will be the hardest one. Do know if I can make it. Pray for me please.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please stick with it. You only feel good as you have quit for 3 days, alcohol will take away that good feeling.
Don't listen to the AV, it is not telling you the truth.
Hang on in there.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Eat well and drink lots of water.
Make a list of the things that brought you here.
Understand that the physical cravings via the AV will tell you anything to make you drink again.
Realise that if you can't control the cravings today, you almost certainly need to quit because it has got hold of you and it will only get worse.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Want,

The suffering got easier w each day.

I still crave sometimes and it sucks, but the feeling of living sober totally blows the suck away.

I learned drinking at an early age. Now i am older and wiser, i can defeat the desire to alter my reality w drugs.

After a while i got used to the suffering and then it began to disappear.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

cravings don't stand a snowballs chance in hell against good food.

eat something warm and hearty like oatmeal, maybe you have some other grains you like, qunioa? even a small amount of decent food later at night will help because booze is a food to your body, massive sugar empty calories.

yes nobody should be in the habit of eating huge meals before bed, but in the early days some decent warm grub will help the insane thoughts and cravings by helping to get the blood out of your head and down into the belly, helping to start the sleep process, and definitely quiet the mind.

I find drinking water alone is not enough to quiet the cravings, you need something solid in the belly, and not junk food.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

But you are here, posting about it, so you haven't forgotten, so that is half the battle. Put a note somewhere where you will see it to remind yourself to post here daily and to verbalize that you will never forget what it was like. The AV in your head will constantly try and tell you otherwise. Don't listen to it. You can do this!
Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank u folks for ur instance response. I didn't listen to the alcoholic inside me. I listened to that part of me who wants to live a sober life and be done with alcohol forever. I had my dinner and now I am drinking a cup of green tea. Feeling much more relaxed. By God's grace and with the help of kind people like you all I managed to stay away from alcohol for another day.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttoquit7 View Post
Thank u folks for ur instance response. I didn't listen to the alcoholic inside me. I listened to that part of me who wants to live a sober life and be done with alcohol forever. I had my dinner and now I am drinking a cup of green tea. Feeling much more relaxed. By God's grace and with the help of kind people like you all I managed to stay away from alcohol for another day.
Yippee!!!!
Old 11-16-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Excellent job, wanttoquit! There is so much beauty and dignity in a sober life. Keep going and things will just keep getting better. Wishing you strength, relaxation and peace.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I didn't see your post yesterday, wanttoquit - I'm so happy you made it over that hurdle. We know how hard it is in the early days, but you're on your way to getting free. Well done.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank u everyone. Last night was tough. Tonight won't be easy either. It's Friday night. No work tomorrow. My hands r already shaking thinking about the slip. If I slip tonight it'll be a full blown relapse. I know it.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard wanttoquit

I think there's great strength in a community like this - use it as much as you need to - you can do this

D
Old 11-16-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay focused. Don’t think about a slip - if it feels inevitable you might let it be that way. You can do it. The first weekend is tough, but you’ll be so thrilled when you get through it. The second is also tough, but that second Sunday gives you so much pride and it gets easier from there in my experience!
Old 11-17-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Remember that battle that you fought and won yesterday? That will be for nought if you fight and lose today.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

it will get easier--"think through" the drink--where would it lead?
You know the outcome of that--plan something uplifting and fun instead--
Old 11-17-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you! And for your gutting it out. Sadly I didn’t make it through day 4, but listening to people like you reminds me I can gut it out too.

Last edited by Oregongirlsite; 11-17-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Smiley
Old 11-17-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttoquit7 View Post
Thank u everyone. Last night was tough. Tonight won't be easy either. It's Friday night. No work tomorrow. My hands r already shaking thinking about the slip. If I slip tonight it'll be a full blown relapse. I know it.
I hope you make it again, stick with it.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going wanttoquit?

D
Old 11-17-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm only going into my third night sober, so I'm still working on a plan.

One thing I noticed is that my cravings are tied to my ideations (what I'm thinking about) and triggers. For instance, it's Friday night and even on other occasions if I had been sober during the week, I just had to drink on Friday and Saturday night to "relax" after a hard work week.

I guess that combines a trigger and an ideation. Really, if I focus my thoughts on something else, the cravings decrease considerably (that's part of why I'm posting here right now).

It was a mother bear earlier today driving home from work and realizing I still wanted to buy some booze, even though I know it is 100% bad for me and will destroy my health and my life.

It got better when I got home and better still when the missus got back from her walk, so I could focus on other things.

I don't know what landmines are lying in wait for me out there, but right now all I've got to focus on is what I'll do tonight. Since the window for buying booze has now closed for the evening and I'm starting to feel sleepy naturally, that makes night three that I'll be sober.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's been said before… However, I've really come to believe this. If you can't think about making it a day take it hour by hour or even minute by minute.