Notices

So far the toughest night yet

Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yeah, I failed. Friday night to Sunday night. I was soaked in rum. I failed myself. I screwed up everything. I let everyone down.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttoquit7 View Post
Yeah, I failed. Friday night to Sunday night. I was soaked in rum. I failed myself. I screwed up everything. I let everyone down.
Oh I'm sorry. So what is next? Back to it?
Old 11-19-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many of us faltered a time or two wanttoquit - doesn't mean the race is over
Obviously tho you need a better action plan - perhaps more changes in your life, and more recovery support?

There are some good ideas here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 11-19-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I failed A LOT and many of us do. What's important is getting back up when we fall down. I've got nearly 5 months now after many relapses. You can do this! Think of some things to do to help and check out Dee' s link.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yes, I didn't think about the weekend when I planned this. I let my guard down. I shud have at least taken a pause before I went to buy boose. Big mistake. I don't understand. Y is this so hard.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're like me, you've indulged in drinking behaviours for a long time. A bottle was my universal go to tool for almost anything that ailed me, mentally or physically.

I don;t believe there's any way to change that behaviour that doesn't involve hard work and a little short term discomfort....but the effort and the discomfort are worth it

D
Old 11-19-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I started a drinking journal. As I sit here and look at it I see that in the past 21 days I was sober only for 8 days. This is just sad. Am I that pathetic. Am I that big of a looser. What's wrong with me.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi,
I have been in your situation more times than I can count...and what has really shaken me up this time is that my weekend binders started going into the week, for the entire week! So, I can tell you from experience that the "weekend binders" can easily turn into full weeks from hell

Don't give up, let this be your last binder. I know the first week and weekend suck, but I also know that it gets much easier

Forgive yourself, and stand up strong, as this is the last time you have to go through this!! Love yourself more than you love the booze
Old 11-20-2017, 01:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I did a drinking journal over the summer, counting my units, trying to moderate. In the end I just found it exhausting & demoralising. It was simpler just to tell my mind, "no, I will not be drinking today". However while doing the journal I was gradually building my hobbies back up & getting out the house doing sober things. I'm not a big pub person which helps. The key for me is finding other things to do, but still within my comfort zone as I build on my sober time.
Be kind to yourself, kelp trying, make a plan.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank u folks. I start my day 1 today. I pray to god that I can continue my sober journey from now without anymore mess ups. I know all the techniques and tools. I just have no more excuses for myself. Pray that I can make it this time.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by oldwriter View Post
I'm only going into my third night sober, so I'm still working on a plan.

One thing I noticed is that my cravings are tied to my ideations (what I'm thinking about) and triggers. For instance, it's Friday night and even on other occasions if I had been sober during the week, I just had to drink on Friday and Saturday night to "relax" after a hard work week.

I guess that combines a trigger and an ideation. Really, if I focus my thoughts on something else, the cravings decrease considerably (that's part of why I'm posting here right now).

It was a mother bear earlier today driving home from work and realizing I still wanted to buy some booze, even though I know it is 100% bad for me and will destroy my health and my life.

It got better when I got home and better still when the missus got back from her walk, so I could focus on other things.

I don't know what landmines are lying in wait for me out there, but right now all I've got to focus on is what I'll do tonight. Since the window for buying booze has now closed for the evening and I'm starting to feel sleepy naturally, that makes night three that I'll be sober.
Congrats on Day 3 Old Writer! I take it you like to write? Is that something you could do - say an online blog or journal- to help you get through difficult times? I am a writer too and I have an online journal I keep. Right now it's just for myself, but the act of writing is therapeutic.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Lots of us failed at first, but if you don't give up you will succeed.

Making a plan and keeping a journal really helped me fix the "weak spots" and held me accountable to myself.

You can do this
Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by wanttoquit7 View Post
I started a drinking journal. As I sit here and look at it I see that in the past 21 days I was sober only for 8 days. This is just sad. Am I that pathetic. Am I that big of a looser. What's wrong with me.
There's nothing wrong with you thats not wrong with the rest of us. Sinking into self pity or self hatred does no good at all.

Use that energy in a positive way and make a plan to stay sober

D