SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Motus Est Vita. Weekenders Thread November 16-19 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/418995-motus-est-vita-weekenders-thread-november-16-19-a.html)

MidnightBlue 11-16-2017 04:19 AM

Motus Est Vita. Weekenders Thread November 16-19

Hi, weekenders!

It’s me again)

Wait, MB. What? Why, in the world, you are writing in Latin now?

This weekend I would like to offer a natural progression to getting unstuck – MOVE!

But move where? How? In what direction?

Relax.

We are not overcomplicating anything. It’s a weekend, after all.

It’s time for sober high-quality fun.

Move your body!

From my previous posts many of you may know that I am a huge fan of exercising. I am at a stage where it is not “punishment” any more for which I deserve a reward later. It’s reward in itself.

But forget intense goal-oriented workouts for now. Just for this weekend.

Reframe your perception of exercising.

Don’t stress over it because it’s supposed to be an inhumane ordeal to hit your desired weight.

Let go of outcomes and expectations which inevitably poison all the fun.

Your mission for this weekend – have fun when moving your body.

Let’s define exercising as any activity which makes your heart beat faster. Which injects you with a handful of endorphins and take you out of funk and overthinking.

What is more – treat it as an extremely powerful tool in your sobriety kit.

Struggling with insane urges and cravings? Blast upbeat music and go crazy. If you are at work, put on headphones and imagine yourself dancing like no one is watching (no one does, actually, they are glued to smartphones).

Dance through those 10 minutes when cravings seem to be impossible to resist. Let music and movement take you through those cravings waves.

Depressed? Go for a walk. Don’t fight your emotions. Just go. Move. Move. Move. Away from overthinking. Away from Addictive Voice.

In doubt? Move. It will pump oxygen to your brain and clear your head.

Choose any kind of exercising which is fine with your health and overall condition. Be creative.

Walk 3 steps up your stairs. Imagine you are Rocky and you are on the top of your destination. For today. One step at a time.

Play with your dog.

Make sprint runs in a backyard.

Anything.

You will feel better. Momentarily.

Our bodies are designed to move. Movement is natural state. The body craves movement every day. Indulge in it.

The Latin proverb prover which opens this post - “Motus est vita” – means “Movement is life”. So true!

Invigorate your life with movement. This simple tool is always with you.

I don’t remember a single time when I said after exercising “I regret it”.

The opposite is always true “I am so glad I made it to the gym!”

If right at the moment nothing particular comes to your mind, here are few challenges from a great book by a neuroscientist Jane McGonigal “Superbetter” (Great read. Highly recommend):

Pick one:
Stand up and take three steps.
or
Make your hands into fists and hold them over your head as high as you can for five seconds.
Go!

When we move we send our brain a message: “Hey, I am still alive, and kicking, and fighting. Let’s wake up and move out of despair and darkness towards the light and hope”.

Turn on that switch. Turn on the light. Move.

Here’s one of my go-to songs to make me move doesn’t matter what.

Do you have 10 seconds? Good! Hit the Play button and move.

Your recovery will say Thank you!

What is your favorite exercising activity?

Have a great weekend!

:Squat::dance8::Dance7::vd

Mish 11-16-2017 04:31 AM

Shotgun....this is going to be a fun weekend. My favourite exercise activity is Running. Thank you MB x

andyh 11-16-2017 04:32 AM

I'm in!

BixBees505 11-16-2017 04:34 AM

Awesome! MB, thank you for opening again!! I am SO IN for the weekend. Now to go back and read/digest the opener!

“The body craves movement every day. Indulge in it.”
I like how you said that.

I’ve seen Jane McGonigal on youtube Ted Talks. Didnt know she wrote a book.

I have no doubt I have more sitting and thinking to do about movement/exercise and my recovery. Coffee first. I will report back!

MidnightBlue 11-16-2017 04:38 AM

Mish - Congrats on Shotgun! And have fun with running!

Andy, Bix - Great to see you)

Healthyandsober 11-16-2017 04:54 AM

Im in day 23 for me. I like running and indoor cycling classes.

I am IN! Thank you MB great post :You_Rock_

andyh 11-16-2017 04:57 AM

I think just reading your opening post has tired me out for the weekend MB :D

MidnightBlue 11-16-2017 04:58 AM

Congrats on Day 23, HAS! Keep it uppppppp!!!!

Indoor cycling is great. I love it.

MidnightBlue 11-16-2017 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 6674603)
I think just reading your opening post has tired me out for the weekend MB :D

How's so, Andy? :c041:

Downthepath 11-16-2017 05:10 AM

Movement has gone hand in hand with my abstinence. I made a pledge to myself that I would not only not drink but that I would do a minimum of 10,000 steps per day from August 21st onwards. Going strong on both fronts so far.
I am IN.

MidnightBlue 11-16-2017 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Downthepath (Post 6674614)
I made a pledge to myself that I would not only not drink but that I would do a minimum of 10,000 steps per day from August 21st onwards. Going strong on both fronts so far.
I am IN.

Now, that's discipline. Kudos to you, Downthepath!

:You_Rock_

Gilmer 11-16-2017 05:15 AM

I’m in, too.

Healthyandsober 11-16-2017 05:15 AM

Hey guys I have not seen Dee is he okay:)

Agree i need to move more i feel i gained weight i am eating a lot now :) but being unfit messed up with my self-esteem. I will start running daily again!

MidnightBlue 11-16-2017 05:19 AM

Hi, Gilmer!

HAS - I believe it's already late at Dee's part of the world. So, he is probably enjoying a good night sleep.

MLD51 11-16-2017 05:54 AM

I'm in!

I have been lazy about the exercise lately. My favorite is to get outside and walk. I know it's not a good excuse, but work has been crazy lately and when I get home all I want to do is collapse onto the couch for the rest of the day. I really do feel better within moments when I get out and walk. Winter is setting in here, so getting out will be more difficult and uncomfortable. And it seems like it's always dark. I will think about things I can do indoors - even if it's just running up and down the stairs a few times. I do have a Wii with a balance board - I should dig it out and fire it up. I have lots of exercise "games" for it and I used to use it a lot. I'll make a point of doing that this weekend!

MidnightBlue 11-16-2017 06:06 AM

Hi, Marty!

I've never exercised on the board like this. Tell us how it will go!

BixBees505 11-16-2017 06:20 AM

Motivating and challenging ideas you all are expressing. Hope they motivate and challenge ME! I’m thinking.

I’m working through a relapse prevention booklet someone posted on another thread. I have done plans before, and planning is important to me. I am finding it refreshing to start at the beginning again...beginner’s mind and all that. Physical health and movement figures in this booklet, as in all reasonal planning guides. I need to get with it in a structured way that lasts. Now that my anxiety and stress are less, I have let movement drop out of my day. Not good for me, long term.

MidnightBlue 11-16-2017 06:34 AM

Bix - There is a good quote “It's easier to act your way into a new way of thinking, than think your way into a new way of acting.”

As much as planning is crucial, I believe it's important to maintain balance of planning and acting. Otherwise there is a danger to dive into analysis paralysis which become a stress factor in itself.

My first boxing trainer told me once: "You are thinking way too much. Punch!"

Upward2Enlightenment 11-16-2017 06:38 AM

Another wonderful intro MB.

I also need to get moving again with exercising.

soberclover 11-16-2017 07:11 AM

Hello all - I'm in too :)