SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Turning to sobriety for pregnancy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/418880-turning-sobriety-pregnancy.html)

Pumpkin147 11-14-2017 12:22 AM

Turning to sobriety for pregnancy

Hi. So I'm an alcoholic - I drink around 1 to 2 bottles of wine per day, throughout the day and evening, plus a cider or two at weekends. I have been drinking at this level for at least 2 years, and drinking daily for at least 10 years.

Last Thursday I found out I am pregnant. Very early stages, 3 - 4 weeks. I did a 3 day taper (I have experienced some withdrawal on attempts to stop drinking ib the past) so i had three glasses of wine day 1, 2 in day e, 1 on day 3, and nothing since. This is day 3 of complete sobriety. I haven't had any physical withdrawal I dont think, many a mild tremor occasionally. But I am irritable and emotional. But determined.

Anyone else experienced having to stop drinking suddenly due to Pregnancy?

Thanks

Jules714 11-14-2017 03:03 AM

Everyone really needs to withdrawl from alcohol under medial supervision, especially pregnant women.
Jules

Pumpkin147 11-14-2017 03:09 AM

Thanks Jules of course - sorry I didn't make it clear I panicked and saw my Dr straightaway and he is happy with my progress for now no sign of physical withdrawal so not putting me on any medications or anything at this stage. It was he who have me a pamphlet with lots of online resources which is where I found this website! I am seeing him again tomorrow for checks.

Saskia 11-14-2017 03:42 AM

Pumpkin, good that you have a doc who is clued in and can help to support you. Being pregnant should provide loads of incentive to make this work during your pregnancy and afterwards, too. If you find it difficult at any point, I highly recommend you reach out for whatever support it takes to stay sober. There is no single sure-fire method but there are many options.

Anna 11-14-2017 06:45 AM

I'm glad that you are aware of the dangers of alcohol during pregnancy and that your doctor is supporting you.

ScottFromWI 11-14-2017 06:54 AM

Glad to hear that you are seeing your doctor Pumpkin. Drinking during pregnancy is of course a major health risk, and there are a lot of people who make the decision to quit because they become pregnant.

Now that you've been able to successfully/safely quit with help from your doctor ( good idea ! ), you may want to examine your drinking for the long term too. Even after your baby is born, staying sober is going to have a lot of benefits. Drinking 2 bottles of wine daily plus cider is a pretty extreme amount of alcohol and enough to potentially cause permanent/severe damage to your mind and body if kept up for a long time. And that damage will affect not only you, but those around you.

You'll find a tremendous amount of support here on SR, I hope you make the choice to stay sober for yourself too.

Anna 11-14-2017 07:23 AM

I agree with the above comments. It's not only important to remain sober during pregnancy, but also afterwards. Having a newborn is a very stressful time for most women, so having a recovery plan firmly in place would help you to remain in recovery after your baby is born.