Notices

S.A.D seasonal affective disorder

Old 11-13-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

S.A.D seasonal affective disorder

Its that time of year ,shorter sunlight longer darkness hours . In UK I think we have about 8 hours of daylight when its the shortest day ( winter solstice ) . I know we can feel a bit gloomy in winter but for me its worse . I am starting to ache all over and feel generally off and depressed .
Been to GP who tells me to get out and about as much as possible .

What do you do ? are SAD lamps any good ?

Old 11-13-2017, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not rubbing it in, but the seasons are pretty much the same where I liveThomas - I hope others can chime in here with things that help

D
Old 11-13-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes Dee i'm jealous haha .
My sister and husband are just back from Florida where their daughter lives and this is what they were telling me that the seasons are pretty even all year round .
Oh well maybe a win on the lottery this week
Old 11-13-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I have been affected by this off and on for years. Someone else had to point it out to me. I think it is sneaky and most people never realize that it isn't a big depression but something that will pass with time/seasons and to pamper/go easy on yourself and be conscious of positive self-talk (I'm bad at this) while you are dealing with it. That was my experience - I am sure others may have more severe symptoms.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I'm going through this as well. I thought it was PAWS since my memory hasn't been right either. Maybe a combo of both. I try to stay active and positive but it hasn't been easy lately..... I haven't been myself. I'm not sure if medication is right for me since I'm sure it's situational and that it will pass. Hope it passes for you too!
Old 11-13-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

as you might recall, this has been a big issue for me ever since getting sober. I'm almost 4 years sober, and heading into what will be my 5th sober winter. I live in the northern latitudes where from about September on, the days grow shorter, colder and more harsh. I do enjoy winter - but have found myself unable to enjoy the things I used to about it. I have struggled with motivation, with a sense of doom, with generalized sadness, with loss of libido, with overeating and a host of other challenges.

I've tried vitamin D, 5HTP, melatonin, vitamins, exercise, light therapy, counseling, meditation.... I've tried all of these in various combinations and none of it really made things any "better" - just got me through and sort of gave me something to focus on.

This year, I finally decided to try a seasonal anti-depressant. My doctor prescribed a low dose of Prozac and I've noticed an immediate improvement. I really felt conflicted about this for a long time. I didn't want to use medication. I worried about addiction issues. I struggled with the stigma.

I'm not here to advocate medication as 'the answer' - but I do feel compelled to share my experience. It's still early on, only a couple weeks now, so we shall see... but so far so good and I'm glad I finally did try it.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The one good thing for me this winter is I have no work to trudge into , no rush hour traffic , I have all the time in the world .
FreeOwl ,Soulshine,Zenchaser thanks for your input .

Its good to recognize that situational depression will pass Zen.

I know other people who become almost housebound at this time of the year .
People with fibromyalgia ,chronic fatigue Syndrome which most doctors don't even acknowledge . Sorry this is off the original topic and I don't want to start Googling why my body aches almost everywhere like a damm flu .

I use magnesium oil and a good multi vit and flax seed but not sure if they help or not .

Oh well i'm going to put double lottery tickets on for this week .
Old 11-13-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2/2016

I have a very inexpensive SAD light. It really wakes me up in the a.m. while I have coffee. I am more alert to start my day. I highly recomend it.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thomas, I've been feeling the same thing. We had a glorious extended summer but the past few weeks have been much colder and darker. I try to keep to my routine as much as possible, which includes getting out at least a couple of times a day. I hope you feel better.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My mom definitely suffers from SAD.
She gets very gloomy and depressed.
I like the prozac idea, but she’s quite old, doesn’t remember to take her meds.
I would be reluctant to add another med to the mix.
Hang in there, Thomas.
My friends told me when I moved from the Mid Atlantic back to New England that the best thing to do in a colder climate is to embrace the weather.
Invest in warm clothing, including silk long underwear, and get out there.
I believe they are right.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It gets dark where I am around 4:20 now and I just want to go to sleep around 6:30 lately..So, I've started doing just that. If I feel like sleeping, I sleep. Sometimes I'm up at 3am,but that's ok. Actually slept in to 7:30 today so, hopefully I can get back on track. Stupid time change.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good advice Maudcat.
Sorry Mum doesn't like the winter months I hope shes OK .

Car boot sale on Sunday
I had a pair of jogging trousers under my jeans , T shirt ,thick jumper and heavy parka jacket then on my head I had one of those fur hats that tie under your chin and the temp was about + 2 degrees C . I can't imagine what minus 15 would be like . ( I think you guys still use Fahrenheit) .

Yes a change of attitude might work wonders .
Old 11-13-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Both myself and my brother suffer from fairly extreme SAD, which for me is overlaid with bipolar disorder. Unless I take steps to prevent it, I can experience paralyzing winter depression and borderline dangerous summertime mania.

Bro lives in a high northern latitude and has had huge success with light therapy. I used to live in the upper Midwest and wanted to slit my wrists every winter. Now I live in a far more Southern latitude, but unless I take steps to combat it I still feel SAD due to the shorter days...it's far more moderate but it can still be miserable. I even get it during extended periods of cloudy weather and gray skies.

Light alone didn't do it for me. For a number of years, I went on moderate SSRI antidepressant therapy from late October through early March, roughly when the clocks are set back. It helped immensely.

My ideal lifestyle would be to spend March/September here in the NorHemi and the remainder of the year in Australia in the SoHemi...endless summer.

Curious how my first sober winter will go.

The AD therapy puts a floor under my depressed mood and allows me to exercise and stay busy, which moderates the depression until it's barely noticeable.

That's what works for me Thomas, I'd highly suggest you see a psychiatrist, preferably one who has experience treating addicts/alcoholics, and follow their treatment plan. GPs usually don't have the knowledge or experience to offer effective mood disorder treatment such as for SAD, the good ones will give you a psych referral.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
Its that time of year ,shorter sunlight longer darkness hours . In UK I think we have about 8 hours of daylight when its the shortest day ( winter solstice ) . I know we can feel a bit gloomy in winter but for me its worse . I am starting to ache all over and feel generally off and depressed .

I have a light therapy lamp and it helps me. I've suffered from SAD my whole life, my parents used to wonder why I was the only kid that hated Christmas. I use the lamp about a half an hour a day; and unless it's a total placebo I feel like it helps. It doesn't cure SAD, but it's a tool for me.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Been feeling like this myself recently too. The time change is brutal...

Embracing the colder weather and not getting lethargic is good. That said, I once went for a run in -45C when I was living in Winnipeg just to see what it was like. Bad (if you were wondering).
Old 11-13-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just signed up for a three month 99%UV ray free tanning bed membership from groupon.. I'm going to be depressed, but tan.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I’ve used SAD lights for many years and for me they do help some. I start them in August. I also take an antidepressant. Between the two and pushing myself to get out and walk I do reasonably well.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I can relate to it, Thomas. I live in a gloomy climate with long winter.

For me the best solution is exercising. I know I preach it at every corner, but it is a simple and effective answer to many issues of modern-day life.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can relate to it too, living in the pacific northwest of the US. I know with some cheaper SAD lights you have to be careful because they use LED lights which can be too harsh on the eyes. I'd like to find a decent one too.

I've started taking vitamin D supplements the last few winters and I think its helped some.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post

I have a lamp and I use it. Hard to say if it works or not. I do think it helps. My Dr put me on Vitamin D also.

asixstringnut