Notices

Day 17 and Looking for Action Plans

Old 11-12-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Day 17 and Looking for Action Plans

Hi All, 50 yo long time alcoholic here who is making another run at long term sobriety. Coming off a bad binge and 4 days in hospital, but recovering nicely, so far, under the wing of my family.

I posted last week about a dilemma facing me - stay with my family and feel "safe" where I feel no desire to drink (loneliness is a big trigger for me), or head back to the other side of the country to continue in what is a good enjoyable job, but where I know few people and need to build a sober life for myself.

After consulting with friends, people on here and an addiction counselor, I have decided to go back to my job and the other coast and make another run at leading my own life, and a sober one. But I need to do things massively different to expect different results. This includes getting a therapist, doing 90 meetings in 90 days, posting here daily and more.

So I had a question for the group. Who has examples of action plans that really, truly worked for them? This needs to be bulletproof, I've gotten sober before more times I can count only to slip again badly. Can anyone share their plan, what's worked for them especially after multiple failed attempts? What are the specific sober tools in your plan? I intend to literally write a plan down then take immediate action on it.

Anything you can share would be very, very appreciated.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Accept never drinking again. Ever. Remove any hope or wish that "one day" you can drink. Do not entertain a single circumstance or scenario where drinking is okay, or the answer. Do not hesitate to remove yourself from any situation that would put your sobriety at risk. If find yourself resenting sobriety or feeling that not drinking is depriving you of something "good" there is something lacking in your recovery and you need to find out what it is.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Thanks for starting the thread - I shall be watching it. Over 50 long time alcoholic too so we probably have a few things in common.
The only solid thing I have down so far is I cannot drink alcohol, no way now how. Not a sip, not a drink, not a one.
Except for this wonderful forum....
Any conversation, discussion, thought, question, anything that involves alcohol ----> the answer is no. No thinking about it, No maybe, No just this once, No No NO. No more time with anything involving alcohol.
In my new life:
"I aint got time for that"
Old 11-12-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you made a good decision.

A bullet-proof action plan is 'Alcohol is never an option, ever.'

I did many things. I exercised every day (walked a lot) and became reacquainted with nature, which helped to fill me in a healthy way. I picked up an old hobby I had in the past. I made playlists of music for walking and for relaxing that I listened to every day. I read a lot of spiritual books. I spent time on SR every day.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some very good ideas here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Thank you I needed to see these threads!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoulShine8 View Post
Thanks for starting the thread - I shall be watching it. Over 50 long time alcoholic too so we probably have a few things in common.
The only solid thing I have down so far is I cannot drink alcohol, no way now how. Not a sip, not a drink, not a one.
Except for this wonderful forum....
Any conversation, discussion, thought, question, anything that involves alcohol ----> the answer is no. No thinking about it, No maybe, No just this once, No No NO. No more time with anything involving alcohol.
In my new life:
"I aint got time for that"
Ill keep you posted!
Old 11-15-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, this is helpful, BUT...I would still love to see a written down, detailed action plan from someone that has worked. I am going to work on mine today and will be happy to share it. It is going to contain a vision for myself, goals, identification of triggers and ways to avoid them, my plan to get support, and actions to address mental, physical and spiritual health. Stay tuned, and in the meantime if anyone has a concrete action plan in writing they are willing to share, please let me know!