Notices

Worried about heart

Old 11-11-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Worried about heart

Hi

I just joined and am totally panicking

Three days since I last drank and i realized i screwed up badly, I cant even think about drinking again, no way, just too scared and if I survive this I'll never touch alcohol again! Don't feel cravings for it either so this is where it stops.

I have been drinking around 3-5 times a week for about 2years I think. Having many breaks, a month here and there, no bad withdrawals. Amount of alcohol is usually 4-5 pints of 4,6% beer. Sometimes 6 but I can count on one hand the times I have drank more than 7. Never any stronger spirits than that. Randomly easy weeks to, 1-2 times a week with only 2-3 pints of beer.

3 months ago if somebody asked if I where an alcoholic I would just say no I'm just an idiot with bad habits, now I'm not sure.

just over 2 years ago I was an athlete in the national team so practically no drinking then. I quit sports due to injury and finally could enjoy drinking without it hurting my performance, thats how I started all this **** and it got out of hand.

I had slowed down my drinking to two times a week, and then decided to stop because nothing good comes out of this. I managed to stop, sober for two weeks, almost no withdrawals, but then my parents gave me one full case of like 30 beers. Thanks... not. Drank for about a week and not any more than those beers and wow now I feel like ****.

Ran out of beer three days ago but the last hangover was awful.
Felt so weak and had shortness of breath and the following day was even weaker, almost fainted once. A bit more energy today but that's because I've been resting.

Could I have weakened my heart because of all this? I think its "just beer" so I would not think it would hurt my heart. If it is my heart I believe it's more like I have some underlying condition that now is surfacing because of my stupid drinking. I'm thinking "athletes heart" or whatever it's called if you train to much without rest. So now if I go to the hospital and they find something they will obviously assume it is because of alcoholism right? Now that will effectively limit my treatment options...

Feel like the most stupid idiot now.

Or is this weakness all because of withdrawal? Anybody felt similar sensations? Symptoms more precise: Moderate fatigue most of the time, have to lay down for a while to not feel physically weak. Random episodes of exhaustedness in stomach as if I where doing som crazy sprints or intervals, but they go away quickly. If I walk up the stairs I get shortness of breath ridiculously easy. Then towards afternoon I get very exhausted and struggle to walk just as if heart does not pump enoug, I feel in the chest as I do towards the end of a physical test. Also being active like visiting a friend makes me tired even if I sit down. All the time a bit uneasy feeling in chest, sometimes pain. First day after quitting drinking I almost fainted, felt totally like drifting out of consciousness.

Sorry I know I'm rambling and perhaps make no sense but I'm very greatful if you read this far

Last edited by ArcticNightOwl; 11-11-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention I just joined :)
Old 11-11-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ArcticNightOwl
Withdrawal can be pretty draining, and it may be this is all it is - but the only sure way to get peace of mind is to see your Dr.

D
Old 11-11-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first and number one thing you should do is see a doctor for a physical and blood work.
Withdrawl symptoms can mentally convince you that you are on your death bed and the symptoms you describe IMO are typical for someone who has just stopped drinking , I had the same stuff goin on.
Keep calm and see a DR and be completely honest with him/her as to your drinking habits. Of course if it gets out of control get to the ER, oh and stay away from Googling your symptoms
Old 11-11-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Withdrawal from alcohol is very scary for most of us and it's unpredictable. There really is no such thing as 'just beer'. Alcohol is alcohol and I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking. Do talk to your dr about your physical symptoms.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your replies! But thats just th thing, if I talk to the dr about my drinking it will be in my records forever right?
Old 11-12-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry you are feeling so yucky. Much of this is likely early withdrawal and detoxing from alcohol...try not to panic; that won't do any good ...however...the only way to find out is to get a good check up. Now, will this be on your record permanently if you tell your Dr. all? Well, I don't know for sure, but I would think confidentiality should never be breached by a Dr., regardless. I hope you're feeling a little better today.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticNightOwl View Post
Thank you so much for your replies! But thats just th thing, if I talk to the dr about my drinking it will be in my records forever right?
That's difficult to answer, ArcticNightOwl. Maybe, maybe not. HIIPA sometimes offers some protection but it's not foolproof. I guess the biggest question is what will happen if you don't stop drinking? Any negative consequences of seeking help are better than being dead.

That said, it's wise to so some research.

I quit five years ago and all I have used is AVRT and SR. Maybe it might help you too?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had all of these feelings when I started withdrawal. I couldn't walk up a ladder without my legs going all wobbly, and I think my pulse was over 100. That and more.

Withdrawal can be dangerous. Go have a long talk with your Doctor.

I'm not a lawyer, but alcoholism is a disease. And work cannot generally access your medical records to fire you over a disease. I don't like going to my referrals with the reason stated on my form as 'chronic alcohol abuse', but I like the idea of seeing my kids grow up more.

This is not your fault, but this is part of taking responsibility for it. Go see a doctor, and utilize all the resources you can get/afford.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds very much like withdrawal. I am also an athlete and I thought my heart was going to explode and I got winded just going up steps. Scared the heck out of me, so much so its when I really started thinking about quitting, then I did quit.