Notices

Looking for alternatives to AA

Old 11-12-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for alternatives to AA

Hi. I am a 62 year old male. I drank regularly for most of my adult life. About 5 years ago I had a DUI and attended weekly outpatient group therapy for a year. I started going to AA and have been attending meetings about 4 times a week. I was sober for 4 years and had a relapse where I have drunk on and off in secrecy for close to a year. I have difficulty with certain aspects of the AA program. I don't get the surrendering to a higher power part and have struggled with "working the program" in it's entirety. I want to stay in the program to be among recovering alcoholics but need other strategies to help in my recovery. Looking into Rational Recovery and Smart Recovery as alternatives. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
B.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have not yet scrolled down to find the Secular Connections forum, you might really enjoy that. Very good information, and a different slant.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

there is a panel to the right that starts with Find a Facility, then within that Recovery Programs.....might want to poke around there?
Old 11-12-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This link has information on recovery programs and lots of ideas that we've compiled from our members:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 11-12-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Rational Recovery information is available online, look for the Crash Course in AVRT. As BixBees505 suggests, lots of discussion about AVRT / RR and other alternative approaches in the Secular Connections Forum.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Beaubien

D
Old 11-12-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are secular programs like SMART, rational recovery, lifering, etc,.. Though at 62, I'm sure you've been beating your body with alcohol for decades.
Surrendering to the fact that alcohol has you in a death grip is extremely hard, though whichever program you choose, I you find your sobriety
Old 11-12-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Beaubien. Posting here and some counseling has helped me✌️
Old 11-12-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We were actually discussing this in AA today and how the word "him, God and higher power" can turn some people away. An a fellow there made a suggestion that was like "ah-ha" that's a good point. He had suggested maybe turning those words you don't like such as higher power, him and God and refer those to "karma"
My AA meeting is unorthodox and I absolutely love it. We don't throw anything at anyone, heck we cross talk and everyone is involved in the discussion.

Today was step 6 and we got to talking about this exact issue.

I wish you the best of luck
Old 11-12-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beaubien View Post

I started going to AA and have been attending meetings about 4 times a week. I was sober for 4 years
Hard to beat that.
Seems AA was working for you?

I've been attending AA for over 10 years with 10 years sober now. I don't agree with the whole Program but, if it works don't fix it.

Good luck,
M-Bob
Old 11-12-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

I stumbled onto SR and into AVRT, that said the only alternative not to look for is an alternative to abstinence.