Notices

Day 1...Minute 1

Old 11-10-2017, 01:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1...Minute 1

I have finally stopped weaning off of booze, I have had my last drink. I want to be free of this and move forward into recovery. Why can't I remember how to survive these first few hours? It almost feels as though I have been detoxing this entire time, even while weaning off. Maybe my mind was already preparing for the worst...Please reach out if you can, I don't want to be alone in this.....Bless you.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

We are here for you. You will get thu this. Stay healthy an eat good foods. Stay hydrated, too. You will feel better soon.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can do this wildflower - and you're not alone
D
Old 11-10-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Chloe...do you think it would be safe to take a Xanax to help me get through these first few hours? I have been leery about taking any pills due to my alcohol consumption (2 bottles a day for 1 week).
Old 11-10-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You got this!! Since you tapered yourself the withdrawal/detox should be short lived. you did this the healthiest way I wish I could do that!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wildflower you are absolutely not alone. I know the fear is real and I (and most of us) have been where you are right now.
First great bit of news is that you've made a commitment. That's huge.
I would just make sure you have no alcohol in the house and if you have get it tipped away.
Your only job is to look after you. This is utterly important.
Whatever it takes to get though today please do it.
Drink lots of water, rest, read and post on SR, call someone to sit with you if you're frightened, see a doctor if you feel it's necessary, eat little and often, drink water again, rest again, etc etc.......
The pain of withdrawal does pass.
You are not alone and we can hand-hold you through each hour or minute as necessary.
Take care xxx
Old 11-10-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I don't know anything about meds. Never taken anything but natural suppliments like Valerian Root or calming teas to easy my anxiety. Someone here may know more. Just take it minute by minute. You can do this. It will get better.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know how much you drank, but you may have been detoxing while weaning off.
When I was getting sober I had to relearn how to live without alcohol, and I was drunk for thirty years.
It does, and will, get better and there is nothing drinking will make better. That's a thought to remember now that your sober.
We're all here for you. Wish I had some great words of wisdom, but know, my thoughts are with you.
Take it minute by minute if that's what you need to do, and remember, you never have to drink again.
You have to want it and I know it's rough but so worth it.
You've already come a long way, now on with your new life.
Best to you.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leibss View Post
Just three days ago I was worried about the same thing. I took my clonazepam about 5 hours after my last drink. In the hospital they would’ve done that for withdrawals is what I was told by a nurse. But if you only had one drink it should be metabolized in an hour or so so you might be fine after 2?
I had better wait...I have been drinking around the clock for 1 week. 2-750 ml of wine per day. Maybe that doesn't seem like a lot (for heavy Jim Beam drinkers), but I have been comfortably numb for days. God, what I would do to turn back time, I'm so ashamed of this. I have been shut up in my room hiding from life, haven't even been outside for a week.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI wildflower

No one can give you medical or medication advice here.

but if you're looking for something to 'get you through the first few hours' thats sounds a lot like how most of us used our drug of choice...pretty classic addictive behavior.

I had better wait
If you can, I think that would be a healthy move.

D
Old 11-10-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi wildflower;

You can do this--for me it was one minute, one hour for awhile.

I suggest getting some bulk herbal teas (Amazon has cheaply)
and take plenty of warm showers, walks, and rest as needed.

Good healthy food, clean sheets if you're sweating at night,
and a journal / novel / old movies to distract yourself when
you can't sleep or the anxiety comes up.

Each day, each minute, each hour will bring you closer to a peaceful sober life.
I wish that for you very much
Old 11-10-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You've got this wildflower- we are all rooting for you!!! The only way out is through, and once your through, the beauty awaits!
Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's been 7 hours since my last drink....is the worst most likely over? I know I have a long road ahead to stay sober, but I'm wondering if the physical symptoms will start to subside? Why can't I remember these things from my last attempt??
Old 11-10-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

You have been tapering so you probably will feel better sooner than if you went cold turkey but, it is hard to say. Don't compare withdrawl symptoms because it is different each time. Just monitor your symptoms and if you seem to be experiencing strange or scary things please get medical help.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

wildflower it is so hard to predict - like chloe said it can be different each time. Having said that 7 hours really is great and each hour down is a victory in itself. I do know it's hard not to get panicky and very anxious about how bad it may get or how long it may last. That panic and anxiety may itself make you feel worse. Try your best to stay calm (tough I know) and hydrated and regulate your temperature if possible.
I don't think this counts as medical advice but I found a website which had a timeline of withdrawal symptoms by day of mild, moderate and severe symptoms. For me it was very helpful (and I did feel absolutely awful for 6 days - longest 6 days of my life) but of course that was me I'm a bit of a numbers geek.
The best thing to cling onto is that this is the last time you ever have to feel like this. It's true. Plus all of this discomfort is your body ridding itself of a toxin. That is a very good and necessary thing.
You can of course post here as often as you like. I was almost constantly on SR for a few days. There is much comfort to be had from being around people who understand what you are going through.
And of course I echo others here. If your symptoms go downhill fast please get to a doctor. I really really don't want you to panic unnecessarily but please take care of yourself. Do you have anyone in your life who could sit with you for a while? Just to have another person in the same house can be helpful (in terms of relaxing) even if they just think you're "unwell"
I'll be around here off and on for the next 5 hours or so. If you want to keep popping by I'll do the same. Plus I'm happy for you to PM too.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
Thank you Chloe...do you think it would be safe to take a Xanax to help me get through these first few hours? I have been leery about taking any pills due to my alcohol consumption (2 bottles a day for 1 week).
Really a doctor can only answer that I think but I'm on my first day one in a few months, drinking a bottle of wine and a few beers every day. I have xanax on hand but only if I am having a severe panic attack. I have managed the first 12 hours without it, and I hope to keep it that way. I don't want to have to depend on chemicals of any kind anymore. You're not alone.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Support to you Wildflower. Hope you are getting through it....
Old 11-10-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Earth Child

YOU CAN DO THIS
dont let the booze win we are with you holding your hand we understand how bad it can get
you CAN do this
keep posting
much love
Alex
Old 11-10-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

12 hours dry

Well, I have made it the first 12 hours and certainly am feeling encouraged that I can do this.
I'm finding that my mind is all over the place and I can't stop feeling guilty for the whole lying issue. ( I lied to work to take the week off) They bought the story, but I know the truth and it's eating me up...guilt and shame are keeping me from relaxing and resting. I guess this is what happens when the alcohol addiction has taken over, we simply can't make sane choices...

Old 11-10-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep going wildflower.

D