Notices

Every day seems endless

Old 11-08-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Every day seems endless

I made it through 2 days and now onto day 3. Time seems to pass at an extremely slow pace, however. I am constantly fighting the voice in my head telling me to drink. The 5 plus years I drank daily seemed to fly by...funny how that happens! Does anyone have ideas on how to get through the days a little easier? I feel so distracted and consumed with this process that there's little room for anything else. Again, thank you for your input
Old 11-08-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

There is a great sticky at the top. Looking for something to do or similar.

The first months are hardest, boredom for me. I started doing new things, new hobbies, reading more, cleaned closets, rearanged furniture. good luck it does get a lot better
Old 11-08-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had to find activities. Volunteering helped, so did exercise. I think my brain just needs to be busy...doing something good for me.

How about Googling local volunteer opportunities? It's coming up on the Holidays and all the charities are needing help right now.

Thinking of myself less was a good idea.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The first week or two weeks are extremely slow. I can definitely relate as I remember those times. If you are able to remain sober, I believe you will eventually come to find out that sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day. Time flies once again.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Savour it. We are all hurtling to the grave. Anything that slows it down is a good thing.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whiffle,
A few suggestions: I don't know your whole story, but if you're anything like the rest of us, a bunch of things must haven fallen through the cracks as you've progressed in your drinking career, from floors that need to be cleaned to the phone bill that keeps getting bigger and bigger and where you haven't checked the rates in years. Why not take this opportunity to write a list of tasks that you need to do and then actually do them? Just be careful, do it in a measured way and don't stress yourself out!
Secondly, spend quality time on SR to educate yourself on recovery programs and phenomena like PAWS or kindling that are relevant to you making progress in your healing.
And third, there's always binge watching on Netflix or YouTube, I'm sure there's a few shows that you'll enjoy!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiffle231 View Post
I made it through 2 days and now onto day 3. Time seems to pass at an extremely slow pace, however. I am constantly fighting the voice in my head telling me to drink. The 5 plus years I drank daily seemed to fly by...funny how that happens! Does anyone have ideas on how to get through the days a little easier? I feel so distracted and consumed with this process that there's little room for anything else. Again, thank you for your input
Find something in your life that you consider of, "High Value."
Some other behavior that will help you regain control over your helpless feelings and empower you. This could be God, could be exercise, could be Netflix! Use your imagination. but find something. You can do it and it will get easier with time. Change your thinking and change your life. :-)
Old 11-08-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiffle231 View Post
I can't find your past posts for some reason so I'm not sure how exactly you're coming off, but the only thing that got me through it was the benzo prescription. Every time I quit I'd get extreme insomnia even with my medication. Usually 40+ hours of no sleep at first, followed by only around 3 hours a night at the most and an hour nap once in a while. If you are on medication just make sure to not get hooked on that, withdrawal medicines have pretty much the same effect if you get dependent on them and withdraw. So, doctor up if you haven't and do whatever you can to not go crazy from how slow time is moving.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congrats on making the decision to be sober and 3 days is great!

I personally have filled my time with painting, reading, cleaning, anything to keep my mind and hands busy.
I also attend an AA meeting on Sunday's, I am going to go to an Alanon meeting on Thursday as well so I am able to better deal with my addict Mother.
I come here often and read stories of strength, hope and experience.

You got this!
Old 11-09-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I flirted with a lot of different activities in the beginning and continue to do so, mostly in an effort to find out who I have become and how I can improve upon that. All about learning new things or picking up things that you discarded when you surrendered to the demon liquor. I even tried writing a few songs, but for some reason they all turned out to be country songs (gosh, wonder why?) and were terrible. They still stick in my head though, catchy in a really grating way! Maybe life is just a terrible country song :-) Makes you appreciate the good ones.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I am a list maker. I starting setting daily accomplishments and personal goals to achieve. Like saving for something and getting back into shape. I also love to read so I make time for a good book. I keep a calendar and mark the days with a little note to remind myself how well I am doing. I wake up like a kid again and think how will I make this day fun and adventurous!
It works for me to think that everyday is a blank canvas that I can create something beautiful on! I am the artist in charge. Be creative. I love to sew and quilt. Be crafty...the holidays are coming...try something new.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love ChloeRose's idea!
The early days I took it moment by moment sometimes. I didn't think I would every feel like I do now and I am not even a month yet. Hang on and hang in there. It is definitely worth how much clear and happy you will feel. Really.

Definitely keep reading SR, it is so incredibly helpful and the people here really are great.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also felt the same was, while under a constant alcohol haze, time traveled at warp speed. Then when sober, it's like seconds seemed like hours.
I would meet up with friends and talk about times thinking it was just a few months ago, in actuality it years.
Years I wish I had back as boozing throws away everything.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Whiffle

My imagination had grown flabby - the only thing I did drinking was watch TV and I struggled to think beyond that for a while.

Volunteering in my community got me out of the house, out of my own head, and helped fill my days.

If you have the time, it's worth considering IMO

D