Notices

I feel like drinking

Old 11-07-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I feel like drinking

I'm back on day 5 after a month long bender, but now I just want to drink right now. I don't have anything in the house but I know I am already have thoughts on drinking tomorrow and will most likely. After fixing a stressful plumbing issue today, I found out a possible love interest is seeing someone else. Kind of hurts. Makes me feel lonely and now I just want to drink
Old 11-07-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't do it. It's a horrible idea. So many things can go wrong when you're drinking. How badly do you want to stay sober? You have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Five days is great. Why throw it away over something you can't change?
There's nothing a drink will make better, and taking one could send you off on another bender.
Is it worth it? Think of the ramifications. If you're anything like I was, there will be guilt, shame and numbing anxiety.
Believe me, it's not worth it, I did it a hundred times and it didn't help anything except my self-loathing.

Think that drink through the end. What will have changed after stop, if you do stop. It aint worth it, my friend.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not to sound harsh but be careful of allowing stressful events or things to serve as excuses to drink. Because in the end thats all they are really - excuses.
Dealing with stressful or negative things are not better served by drinking. And you are not unable to face them sober. However, i used to tell myself that i was unable to cope in order to justify continued drinking. Do you think that may be happening here for you?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

Don’t drink . It will only start another bender.
Go to a meeting or keep checking the forums. Remind yourself why you wanted to stop.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are other ways to deal with disappointments and stress - maybe nows a good time to write some ideas down on what other more positive and healthy ways of coping might be for you?

I'm betting the last bender gave you nothing good and solved nothing - another one won't either.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-07-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like your signature whopper "Life is what you make it" don't make life an endless circle of drinking, shame, guilt anxiety wash and repeat. try not to drink you can find another love interest
best of luck!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know drinking won't make things workout, but I just want a way to make the pain go away. So I don't have to feel hurt.
I want to get off of this cycle of having my pity party drinking by myself because I am not happy with my life. I just need something to build on, to turn things around.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

5 days is a victory, but also a foundation. Celebrate your achievement, but focus on the bigger long term goals!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by whopper View Post
I know drinking won't make things workout, but I just want a way to make the pain go away. So I don't have to feel hurt.
But feelings are meant to be felt, not numbed out. You're not working on the pain, but just shoving it aside for later. You're not working thru it. Drinking won't solve anything but will only make things worse.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you resist the urge long enough, it will eventually pass and you will be relieved that you did not drink. Have faith that the urge will pass.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think one of the fundamental things about staying sober is to conquer our fear of pain and hurt.

Pain stings and being hurt sucks - but it's a part of life. I really believe the more we get through these times sober, the less the pain and hurt will be next time.

Think about what makes you happy - a nice meal, a favorite movie, a favorite music album, hobbies interests, speaking with a good friend...any of those things are a better option than drinking.

D
Old 11-07-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Defo don’t drink. You’re worth way more than that. Congrats on five days - that’s really something to build on.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This seems to be a recurring theme, and I'm not judging as I've lived through it a few times: partially disassembled fixer-upper kinda recovering alcoholic guy with low self esteem seeks perfect girl to make him whole and live happily ever after. Does this seem realistic? People are always saying that things get better with time. I'm pretty sure this includes our judgment about suitable mates.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I want to get off of this cycle of having my pity party drinking by myself because I am not happy with my life. I just need something to build on, to turn things around.

whopper, do you see the hamster wheel there?
feel bad about <<fill in the blank, anything will do>>
drink
feel bad about drinking
drink
feel bad that life isn't going anywhere
drink
feel bad
drink
feel
drink

unless and until you remove the option to DRINK for any and all things that may or may not happen to you, your little wheel is just gonna keep on spinning. which is exactly what your addiction wants.....cuz it wants MORE - more alcohol, more of your life, til there is nothing left.

get yourself free of that and you will truly be amazed at the life around you. you just can't see it or anything clearly right now.