Notices

First birthday when sober

Old 11-07-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First birthday when sober

I used to look forward to all of wake and bake and day drinking on my birthdays. I am about to turn 33 on an upcoming weekday that I have off of work (as a floater for my birthday) and am not sure what to do after being sober for nearly 11 months. It will be my first sober birthday since I turned 16.

Staying home and relaxing is something I do regularly on weekends, so its not necessarily a "treat". The weather doesn't really encourage nature type things. I don't especially care for going to the movies, I've been to all the museums in town, and I'm not too into bowling, mini golf, arcades, etc. as I am turning 33 and not turning 11. The idea of having a party when sober is really boring since I am introverted. There aren't any concerts or events in town that day.

My wife will be working as will my friends.

I have looked for ideas online and they usually fall into what I consider "feel-good greeting card hippie nonsense". I alreay go to AA and have a commitment so being advised to go to a meeting (followed by a happy face emoji, which is the standard two cent answer on these forums) wouldn't do anything special.

While I plan on going out to eat, I don't exactly need to take a day off of work for that. I am worried I will just stay home bored and bummed out browsing through work emails all day on my phone.

I have health issues that prohibit me from drinking and I take medication that also prohibits me from drinking, so I have 0 percent intent on drinking and the idea isnt even in my head. But the lack of other things to do that are actually appealing leads me to want to pretend it wasn't my birthday and just have another meaningless day in the grind of work.

Any advice for how to spend the day?

Thanks

Last edited by hellorockview1; 11-07-2017 at 05:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Do you really feel compelled to make this day, your birthday, special? One of celebration?

It's not the first day off you've had sober, so perhaps treating it like any other day will cause you less consternation.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd go to work if you're worried about drinking. I caught myself isolating recently, after hearing about my ex being in a new relationship and being home sick for about 12days. The thoughts of drinking started to pop up more than normal. Not really because of her,but because I was bored to death. Went to lunch with my business partner yesterday and have the rest of the week planned out with golfing and work. Like you, I spend most weekends relaxing around the house,so being 'stuck' here was driving me mad.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why not think of doing something for someone else - your wife, a friend, a neighbour, a street person?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good on ya for 11 months!
the first year of recovery is faced with all of them firsts i used to use as an excuse to drink and smoke.
those were great days to get out of myself and help others.
with time, me opinion of days like that has changed. its just my birthday and no big deal.
going to a meeting would be a big deal IF you go to carry the message to the still suffering alcoholic. you very well could say something that helps someone else.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love going out and feeling like a kid again, young at heart!

Enjoy your birthday

Congrats on the sobriety!
Old 11-07-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hellorockview

My imagination got a little flabby by reducing fun and things I could do down to a bottle - but there's lots of things you could do to enjoy yourself on your birthday - here's some ideas to start you off

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)

Happy Birthday

D
Old 11-07-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
It's not the first day off you've had sober, so perhaps treating it like any other day will cause you less consternation.
This is what I did on my birthday this year. I also went for a run. This kept me out of my head, which is where I tend to go on birthdays.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

a massage? lol.

My birthday is coming up too and I am getting my hair cut and highlights. I just do something for myself that makes me feel good.

Happy Birthday!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Hellorockview

My imagination got a little flabby by reducing fun and things I could do down to a bottle - but there's lots of things you could do to enjoy yourself on your birthday - here's some ideas to start you off

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)

Happy Birthday

D
This.
It was hard at first for me to envision fun without booze. My world felt so small and single minded. I found with time the workd started to open up and now i find all sorts of fun things to do. Even "kid" things i used to dislike doing even with my own child.
I hope this will be your experience too.
I just had my first sober birthday in september. I admit i was a bit worried at first of how much fun i would have but it was one of the best birthdays i have had. Bonus was i remembered it!
Maybe it doesnt have to be anything fancy but a good meal, a relaxing day with a new book, or interesting drive somewhere you havent been? Or maybe dont plan at all and see what you feel like that day.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Work on your birthday and celebrate with cake on the weekend?
My spouse and I aren’t big on birthdays.
Maybe a nice dinner when you and your wife are feeling it?
Old 11-08-2017, 02:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Humm... come to think of it I have had two sober birthdays in a row. That hasn't happened since the last century. Just rambling here...

Have a great day,
Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It could be worse. It was drinking on my birthday that brought me here, I plan to never drink on my birthday again....

I’d just do things I enjoy doing: the gym, a long bath, a new book, food I really like but don’t always eat, maybe go shop for a new bike, a new musical instrument? What are your hobbies, your passions? I love gardening too so I might clear a new garden space, buy flowers or vegetables, maybe buy myself something cute to wear the next time my husband or friends are free for dinner, a gig or a movie out....dang I want to do my birthday over...can’t even explain how awful it was, it was that bad.