Notices

Young alcoholic and very ill need advice.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Young alcoholic and very ill need advice.

I have pancrientits and pretty sure late stage cirhosis. Went to the er and my blood levela indicate both. Im 4 days sober now want advice on diet and the itching. I was sober 3 weeks once itching still happened. Id just like advice because i know how bad i am and just wanna somehow change and save whatever time i have keft thanks
Old 11-06-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

what the doctor says? can you get an appointment to access your situation? sometimes you can reverse things if you quit drinking.

wish you all the best
Old 11-06-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Davidatolle

I'm sorry you're feeling so ill.

I'm not a Dr so the only thing I can really suggest is staying off the booze.

When you say you're 'pretty sure' you have late stage cirrhosis - who told you that exactly?

D
Old 11-06-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Diet - I've never heard of any more specific diet advice than 'eat healthy'. So you giv your body the best possible chance to heal, plus regular meals and healthy snacks to keep your blood sugars stable. That will help keep cravings down a little.

Lots of fluids to flush toxin out - some people make use of glucose drinks as well as water.

The itching might just take some time to go. Same with the night sweats and other physical symptoms.

You say you went to ER, but I'd still suggest an appointment with your doctor so they can keep you monitored and advise you re action to take, etc. ER tends to be busy and impersonal, and it's not the same as getting extended support and advice from your own doctor.

Have you considered looking into local support for managing your sobriety & recovery? AA or similar?

BB
Old 11-07-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

David, you might be surprised how much your liver and body can heal with sobriety.

The itching is detox--I also had it, plus swollen tonsils and discharge into my throat, skin rashes, and hardened skin which flaked off slowly in 3-4 weeks.

You will very likely have insomia, night sweats and some acute anxiety at times.
I suggest lots of hot baths, extra sheets to change the bed in the middle of the night if you do sweat through sheets, plus a journal / novel /old movies to watch if you wake and can't sleep.

Great nutrition and plenty of hydration--I made organic herbal tea in bulk I bought off Amazon, lots of organic veggies, small amounts of grass fed meat, plenty of healthy oil like coconut and olive, and no processed food.

A good quality vitamin and mineral tablet helps, as does Vitamin D that is also good quality.
Daily sunshine and walks in Nature, light exercise which you can increase as
you feel better.

Find a hobby to replace drinking time--I studied guitar and worked puzzles,
started making jewelry.

Some therapy to talk out toxic emotions which will come up when you aren't
pressing it down with drink will also speed healing.

I was bleeding from both ends, throat swollen nearly closed, rashes, red-faced,
bloated and very ill daily when I quit.
Now I hike 6-10 miles nearly daily, run trail races, and am fitter than when I started college (I'm 53 now).
I look healthy and I am healthy--also happier than I ever was drinking.
My skin is clear, my eyes are bright, and I can stack and split loads of firewood
and have found peace with what drove me to drink.
I started young like you so I know where you are.

Please take care of you and realize that you can get much much better,
and possibly even recover more than your doctors may be telling you.
I have read several cases here on SR of people told they were on last stages
who actually got normal liver scans with care and permanent sobriety.

That last thing is the critical element--you really have to be done with drink for good.

Wishing you the best. Post here lots--join a monthly group and be accountable.

You can do this
Old 11-07-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

What exactly has your dr told you about your diagnosis? Has your dr given you information and hope as to how you should proceed?

I'm sorry you're feeling so ill, but try to remain positive.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry David. Prayers coming your way.....
Old 11-07-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am friends with an older woman who had end stage cirrhosis. When she first got sober she had to live in a nursing home and was in diapers and unable to speak she was so sick. She's now 2.5 years sober and in good health. I went ziplining with her a few months ago. She's going sky diving this weekend.

I got sober young (32) and figured I had cirrhosis and was going to be sickly for life...turns out I had gotten off the alcoholic spiral early enough that I had done zero lasting damage to my body. I am in perfect health now. Like someone else said, you will be amazed what sobriety can do for your health. Staying sober, coupled with a healthy diet and exercise routine does wonders....and if you are young, well that's just a bonus!!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

David, I hope you gained some hope and focus for your journey. How awesome this community is at lifting up others and sharing their stories and it's exciting to see you like they all did start on the path of being a recovered inspiration as well. Hang in there.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Inspired

Inspired by all these stories! Thank you!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hawkeye, such an awesome story. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!