SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Almost finding quitting cigarettes easier than quitting drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/418462-almost-finding-quitting-cigarettes-easier-than-quitting-drinking.html)

sweetichick 11-04-2017 11:00 PM

Almost finding quitting cigarettes easier than quitting drinking

I am on day 9 of no cigarettes. I have been thinking as much of drinking today as smoking. Each day gets easier with smoking. Day 4 of no alcohol since a 3 day binge. I only took up smoking a few years ago to fit in with dopey mates.

Drinking has been my go to stress relief for years. Just saying that it almost seems easier. No meetings required. Interesting to hear others experiences.

sobersolstice 11-04-2017 11:13 PM

I used to smoke a pack a day a while back (15 years ago?). I was trying to be an athlete at the same time, and found my cardio to be suffering, so I quit, and never missed it. I'd cough a lot when I did heavy cardio.

I'm 47 days sober, but alcohol was literally part of my diet for decades, so it's harder. Fridays and Saturdays are tough, but I'm dry somehow. I'm turning my plans into mental ques.

Meraviglioso 11-05-2017 01:47 AM

Great job on the no-smoking and the four days of no alcohol sweetichick.
I hear hope in your words, which is positive. But I also don't hear much substance behind them. Saying "just saying that it almost sounds easier,no meetings required" worries me as there is no real plan behind that. I get the feeling you are just winging it and hanging on by a thin string.
I only point this out out of genuine care and concern for you. I want to help you help yourself. Your history tells me that unless you shore up your plan now you are headed for troubling times. Believe me sweetichick, I have been there more times than I can count. I very often would think "ok, I got this, I am not drinking right now, everything is ok" while doing practically nothing to ensure this success would last, and sure enough, it didn't. Only when I started to take solid actions did things start to really turn around for me. Those solid actions are different for everyone. What do you think they are for you? What can you do today to work on your recovery?
Do celebrate your successes- and four days is a huge success- but make sure you put a plan in place that is going to keep you on this path.

We are here to support you in that and help you with it. Take action today, you are worth it and deserve it.

sweetichick 11-05-2017 03:03 AM

Thanks for your concern Merva. You are right I do have no real plan on how to ensure it continues besides going for a walk everyday which I have been doing. I was going to go to AA again tonight but was too embarrassed to have to admit I drank again. Maybe I try too hard to do things on my own. I will try and get to a meeting tomorrow.

Forward12 11-05-2017 03:16 AM

Addictions are different for everyone. Many can come off the cigs no problem, yet alcohol is still a huge struggle and vice versa.

Meraviglioso 11-05-2017 03:20 AM

Openly evaluating where you are is a good start! But, "I will try and get to a meeting tomorrow" is not a solid plan. And believe me, I know how irritating those words of mine are, I remember well people pointing out to me the hole in my plan- or the fact that I had no plan to speak of and I just wanted to throw my computer across the room in frustration, "can't you see I'm trying here!!!!!"
But they were only pointing it out to me out of concern and desire to help, which is my position now- concern and desire to help.

Making a plan means not trying to get to a meeting, but planning out the act of getting to a meeting.

What time is the meeting tomorrow? How will you get there? What time do you need to leave your house in order to get there? Will you shower before? If so, what time do you need to do that in order to get dressed and ready in time? Where are your meals in this? You need not get too hungry or cravings might set in. What and when will you eat? What time will you take your walk? If the weather is bad what can you do for exercise?

What else can you do besides just showing up for a meeting? Participate? Ask for a sponsor? Get some phone numbers? Post on here?

What happened with the rehab centre and the counselling appointment? Did they not call you back? Make a follow up call. Schedule the appointment. While on the phone ask questions about the rehab centre. How long is the program? What is the charge? Are there payment plans? What do you need to bring? Do they have a website you can look up further information on? What is their first availability for a check-in?

You are doing really well to have four sober days, you are. Take solid action to make sure you stay this course.