Notices

Proper way to taper off

Old 11-05-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

After some many post (and grateful of them)started to see stories from people tha has had done both ct and taper,that gives me hope to continue with the cut down and im being honest to myself wicht is who matter the most and i really want to stop
I started going for walks and as soon i feel better exercise a lil that help me last time.
I really think that in a way awds are what some time keeps us from drinking again😅😅😅
Old 11-05-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ojsober View Post
After some many post (and grateful of them)started to see stories from people tha has had done both ct and taper,that gives me hope to continue with the cut down and im being honest to myself wicht is who matter the most and i really want to stop
I started going for walks and as soon i feel better exercise a lil that help me last time.
I really think that in a way awds are what some time keeps us from drinking again😅😅😅
Be careful with that thinking. It's also what keeps people drinking. Fear.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I know ..
But now that i have talk to a lot of people here,i honestly feel like a comment since i never had this kind of help telling u guys all this and not to be true to myself is not like me
Old 11-05-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I have 4 pages of posts (wow) lost of help knowledge and suggestions
I never expected that when i fist signed up here👍👍👍😃
Old 11-05-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

The only way I was able to taper was with a detailed schedule and a lot of accountability/supervision by friends and family. It took me about a week to taper off from my usual 12-16 drinks a day. First day was about 8 drinks, then 6, then 4 for a couple days, then 2 for a couple days. It was still uncomfortable, but I could at least function enough to handle my daily obligations.

After the taper was done, I had a small supply of Ativan (5 low dose pills) that my doctor prescribed. I think I took two in the week after the taper.

Tapering wasn’t all that hard for me. What was hard was after I was done, I started to think I could drink normally because I was able to “control” my drinking for a week.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Always have a backup plan OJ. John
Old 11-05-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I have 4 pages of posts (wow) lost of help knowledge and suggestions
I never expected that when i fist signed up
SR is here for you. Do whatever you need, but don't drink. You've got this!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thx
Im really trying, suppor is the most vital in the first stages no matter what method is used to achieve the goal
Old 11-05-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Secon day tapering

Ok so is my second day on my tapering off the beer
I did a lil less than to weeks drinking every day and average of 16 but in that time there was days when i had half pg that (no excuses here im an alcoholic)
Yesterday day 1 only 10 beers 😃again but is a less intake and did not got wasted i did espace them out long enough to feel a strong buzz and get back to 16.
Today i had only 2 and that was early in the day to keep sweats
Went walkin 4mi
Eat my vegg and mix of vitamins ,actually feel great drink bunch of liquids came across a anxiety flare ,but almost no shakes i really dont think that i need the next 4 beer on my chart that i was supposed to take .
Lil head ache
Had a lil panic attack but not too bad.👍😃
I have been doing breathing box that John here sent me .
I may be able to pull the "warm turkey "
Thanks to everyone dont feel all crappy like my other times.
Not over yet thou
Thx
Old 11-05-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes OJ

D
Old 11-05-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

For me the hard part has always been once I felt better. Mentally and physically. That's when I'd amp up and start my drinking pattern again. When I was "quitting" it seemed easy because I felt like trash.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

D,John, bb and all other thank youuu.
Will continue posting
Im just afraid about tonight being a sleepless night sweats panic ..u get the idea
Im saving last 2 just in case but if i dont then wed will be a brighter day
Old 11-05-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
For me the hard part has always been once I felt better. Mentally and physically. That's when I'd amp up and start my drinking pattern again. When I was "quitting" it seemed easy because I felt like trash.
I have been in a place like that and some time people around don't seam to understand the vile beast among us takes over.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I have thought about chiming in with this- and it is said with concern and respect:

We cannot "adjust our drinking" in an attempt to avoid pain. We hurt our bodies for a long time and I know I was terrified of what unknown- physical was BIG withdrawals and PAWS after I went cold turkey- but that could not keep me from quitting, or keep putting it off.

When we do quit, we can't allow thinking that if we are uncomfortable, in pain, or any kind of distress, drinking can be a "solution."

Getting physically sober is easier for some and harder for some. Physically, emotionally, in every way - we have to remove the alcohol and deal with whatever comes (tapering could still mean you have bad withdrawals - hence part of my choice to just rip off the bandaid) in order to get to the other side and finally start to see things as they really are, and start recovering.

I'm adding my $0.02 because, bluntly, the idea of people tapering is terrifying to me; a supposedly fixed yet indefinite (because we can change our minds, which we don't if we just stop) end date is simply a version of not committing completely to sobriety.

Last comment - "tapering" under a dr supervision or, say, some days in detox - doesn't mean continuing to drink, it means supervised "coming down" as in, tests done perhaps, fluids and other low nutrients given, medicines like attivan , naltrexone, others given to be the coming down agents....the experts take care of us during that process. It sucks itself- I cannot imagine the mental turmoil of trying to taper my drinks alone.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

people around don't seam to understand the vile beast among us takes over.
The other side tho that is we absolutely have the power to stop the 'vile beast' taking over - it's just not readily apparent when we;re still drinking.

The beast is not all powerful - it had no arms or legs - it needs us to get what it wants.

Refuse it and apart from throwing a tantrum there's nothing it can do about it

D
Old 11-05-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I never had this type of talk and advice from anyone before about my problem with alcohol. To me was therapy
One of the biggest mistakes we alcoholics do is that most of the time we dont look at rhe real underlying real problem no diz to no one
But for me if today las 2 were the last 2 on in a time of sobriety i have accomplished something
No 2 abuser are the same mentally or physicality.
I need to walk before start running .
Some here told me to get a 2nd plan i will start on that.
Again therapy. 🙄
Old 11-05-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Funny thats how i always relapsed
Old 11-06-2017, 03:17 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I never had this type of talk and advice from anyone before about my problem with alcohol. To me was therapy
One of the biggest mistakes we alcoholics do is that most of the time we dont look at rhe real underlying real problem no diz to no one
But for me if today las 2 were the last 2 on in a time of sobriety i have accomplished something
No 2 abuser are the same mentally or physicality.
I need to walk before start running .
Some here told me to get a 2nd plan i will start on that.
Again therapy. 🙄
One of the biggest mistakes we alcoholics commit is thinking we can think our way out of our problem. Underlying issues, quite frankly, can be part of why we keep drinking when they are what we pay attention to - in fact, per the BB, "many of our problems we had when drinking" (para) or thought we had....disappear when the alcohol is removed.

Focusing on the "why" kept me drinking- another of the biggest mistakes alcoholics make (see Step 1 of AA) is thinking we can drink normally.

"Walking before running" is, IMO, a justification to keep drinking.

Respectfully bowing out of this thread as I think I've made my points.

I hope you quit for good OJ and start a program of recovery that gets and keeps you sober.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Third day of taperin

Finally dry land
There was no need to open the las 4 on day 2 ,actually dumped em in the drain this morning
Rode the wave
Lil tired
Had and episode of high blood pressure
Appetite more normal
Lil head ache
Just hoping that the hbp stay away the critical range
Sleeped more regular dreams
Very very lil shakes
Regular discomfort
For now keep my anxiety at bay and walk off and exercise the rest of the awd.
Thx everyone for the help
Old 11-06-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Well done.

Try to keep hydrated, eat some proper food (little and often if appetite is off), and try to stay calm and rested with some light exercise. Those HALT triggers are very real so it's helpful to plan around them (hunger, anger, lonely, tired) - I know it sounds silly but those things really can lead to an extra-screwy head. And most of us really don't need any encouragement on that score in those early days or weeks.

Keep posting OJ. We're rooting for you.

BB