Notices

Proper way to taper off

Old 11-04-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It may work for you, and I hope it does. For the vast majority of us, me included, tapering doesn't work and merely prolongs the pain. I hope you make it.
I want to thank every body that has responded to my cry fpr help
I also know that there are a lots of different opinions about this concerns
For the addictive person we try to always looks for an excuse to continue but im not giving u all an excuse but there's alwas 2 options to achive some results
Some people have more hard time quiting i dont want to taper to continue just to stop
Old 11-04-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sometimes, I thing the word "excuse" is overused and misunderstood. Fear of change makes more sense to me. The word excuse to me means someone is not really trying to get sober. I don't think that's always true. It's the actions and determination of someone that makes a difference. Maybe you fear change or seeing your doctor. The unknown is tough to deal with. Some day, maybe you will fear the results of your continued drinking more than the fear of moving on. Good Luck. John
Old 11-04-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Sometimes, I thing the word "excuse" is overused and misunderstood. Fear of change makes more sense to me. The word excuse to me means someone is not really trying to get sober. I don't think that's always true. It's the actions and determination of someone that makes a difference. Maybe you fear change or seeing your doctor. The unknown is tough to deal with. Some day, maybe you will fear the results of your continued drinking more than the fear of moving on. Good Luck. John
Six months ago had blood work and al the 9 yards and everything comeback normal
I really want tokeep it that way but completely understand what you mean.
Thx
Old 11-04-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My dad tried to do this, and he ended up taking a fit because of it.

As other members have already mentioned, the best thing to do is seek out help from your doctor and take it from there.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveTheGame1990 View Post
My dad tried to do this, and he ended up taking a fit because of it.

As other members have already mentioned, the best thing to do is seek out help from your doctor and take it from there.
A fit??
Old 11-04-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ojsober View Post
A fit??
Im very scared of the insane withdrawals i get but my determination is not in question i need to take slow firts
Old 11-04-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello any advice on how to lil by lil slow down so withdrawals are not so painful?

See a Doctor.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Tapering off

Well first day and the process and my intake fell from 18 to 10 😃😃
Been spacing my drinks and taking sport drink in between
When my blood alcohol level falls from what normally have i feel crappier but im willing to suffer
Went to rhe dr and check my electrolytes and no severe dehydration 😃😅also blood pressure high but not critical
Sugar was 126 good i guess
Old 11-04-2017, 11:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I tapered by listening to my body. My hangovers were horrible after 6 strong IPA's (8-9 units?) daily, so I switched to coors light (4% alc. beer) and my hangovers went away so long as I drank less than six. I had to control my AV while I was drinking, which is dangerous because it's easy to take a false impression that you can control your drinking.

I'm stoked my friends don't drink around me and even hang out to do other things when i suggest going out for drinks. I have the best support atm, but need to get more independent. I'm planning on the fly, but it's been working. I've recently been telling my friends that if I ask if I should drink, or come with to go drink to tell me "what are your mornings like when you're drinking a lot?" More and more of my healthy friends are starting to come back into my world, and that means more to me than sitting at home and drinking.

My taper was kind of by accident, and was followed by getting sick, so I stopped on an unintended day. I just kept at it and am 47 days dry.

Physiologically, this time around is harder deeper in. Maybe it's the numerous relapses, but my last hard craving was at day 40. Anyone else find the AV to be annoying for longer when you taper? Maybe it's just my current health and state of mind...
Old 11-04-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
I tapered by listening to my body. My hangovers were horrible after 6 strong IPA's (8-9 units?) daily, so I switched to coors light (4% alc. beer) and my hangovers went away so long as I drank less than six. I had to control my AV while I was drinking, which is dangerous because it's easy to take a false impression that you can control your drinking.
Good foryou

I'm stoked my friends don't drink around me and even hang out to do other things when i suggest going out for drinks. I have the best support atm, but need to get more independent. I'm planning on the fly, but it's been working. I've recently been telling my friends that if I ask if I should drink, or come with to go drink to tell me "what are your mornings like when you're drinking a lot?" More and more of my healthy friends are starting to come back into my world, and that means more to me than sitting at home and drinking.

My taper was kind of by accident, and was followed by getting sick, so I stopped on an unintended day. I just kept at it and am 47 days dry.

Physiologically, this time around is harder deeper in. Maybe it's the numerous relapses, but my last hard craving was at day 40. Anyone else find the AV to be annoying for longer when you taper? Maybe it's just my current health and state of mind...
Good for you
Now my only question would be if a cut down too much too soon
Feel like crap once the alcohol voes away sweats and lots of anxiety
I dont have a big problems with cravings or so i think once i get dry i can stay that way for months just that i keep relapsing and over time the withdrawal become more heavy no alicinations yet thank God high bp ant shakes
Old 11-04-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one here can make you go back to the Dr if you don't want to, but I hope you'll consider it an option.

I detoxed without apparent ill effect lots of times but my last time was a doozy.

Play it safe whatever you do.

D
Old 11-04-2017, 11:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

First day of tapering

Well dont want to sound pathetic but im just happy that today i did not get wasted the beer that i took was only to keep me safe from a severe withdrawal
Also know that 10 beers is a lot by anybody's standards but i have to start from some something
Increased water intake and ive created a sheet to monitor my self but most of all i have to be honest to myself and not to cheat also my self
Old 11-04-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No one here can make you go back to the Dr if you don't want to, but I hope you'll consider it an option.

I detoxed without apparent ill effect lots of times but my last time was a doozy.

Play it safe whatever you do.

D
Question for u..
What kind of meds they prescribed to help?
Im affraid of another kindda of addiction i may get..😢
Old 11-05-2017, 12:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good for you
Now my only question would be if a cut down too much too soon
Feel like crap once the alcohol voes away sweats and lots of anxiety
I dont have a big problems with cravings or so i think once i get dry i can stay that way for months just that i keep relapsing and over time the withdrawal become more heavy no alicinations yet thank God high bp ant shakes
Everyone's different, and everyone changes, so each time I stop drinking, it's been a different experience. Now that I think about it, both of my longest sobriety stints (including this one) have included a taper. I've done cold turkey breaks up to a month after a bender, but it was tough to function safely doing height-work; tapering made sense, but it made me think i could be 'normal'. Gotta watch that..
Old 11-05-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thx
2 times ago when i stop i did it cold turkey and was relatively easy with almost no withdrawal at all
You are righ every body is different just this time is being a lot difficult and painful
Tp stop
Old 11-05-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Before this almost 2 weeks i was 6mos sober.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Question for u..
I've had several medical detoxes & I found them to be more comfortable than tapering with alcohol. Benzodiazapines - usually Librium - are typically used for alcohol withdrawal. they are normally prescribed for 5-7 days maximum, not long enough to get addicted.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
I've had several medical detoxes & I found them to be more comfortable than tapering with alcohol. Benzodiazapines - usually Librium - are typically used for alcohol withdrawal. they are normally prescribed for 5-7 days maximum, not long enough to get addicted.
You know im gonna listen to you
Tonight i will try to ride the wave and tomorrow if situation gets worse i will visit the er thx a lot
Old 11-05-2017, 12:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Question for u..
The reason things went bad for me is I didn't go to the Dr.
I didn't get any meds, so no experience to share, sorry.

Different Drs will prescribe different things according to what they think you need.

If you decide to go you can always share your concern about getting addicted to something else?

D
Old 11-05-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Also, OJ, while trying to ride out tonight, try to take care to prevent HALT. Hunger. Anger. Loneliness. Tired. These are all major triggers. I find one of them isn't too bad, but even now (at 3.5 years sober) two or more of these together can really affect the quality of my sobriety (and that's without the cravings). In early days it was so, so much worse.

Take care.
BB