SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   One Year Sober Today :) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/418330-one-year-sober-today.html)

kenton 11-02-2017 12:28 AM

One Year Sober Today :)

Yes!!! I did it. One year sober today. This time last year I was hungover, full of self-loathing and shame. Today I am bursting with joy. For anyone struggling in the early days, take heart. It can be done. If I can do it, so can you. And I want you to do it. I want everyone to experience what I’m feeling today.

So, what are the advantages of being sober for a year? Well, I’ve learnt how to deal with emotions without numbing the pain. I’ve surprised other people. I’ve really surprised myself. I always thought I was impatient. I’m not. I’ve got loads of patience and loads of interest in stuff I didn’t know I didn’t know about. I’ve taken my kids rock climbing and fossil hunting, travelled around Italy, run half marathons, redecorated every room in my house, got promoted at work, made new friends, fallen in love with my husband all over again and basically become a better version of the person I used to be. This new me is saving all my drinking money for a family holiday next year in Orlando… so excited…kids are already counting the days! I look much younger and better than I did this time last year; my skin is clear, my eyes shine and I’m finding it easy to maintain a happy, healthy weight. Strangely though, I care much less about what I look like now. I care much less about lots of things…. other people’s opinions of me, how popular I am, whether everyone else is having a better time, living a better life…none of that matters to me anymore. Sobriety has removed my blinkers and enabled me to see and appreciate everything I have. And I have loads…a lovely husband, kids, home, dog… that’s what’s important to me now. I feel so lucky to be me. I’m actually beginning to really like being me.

And now, what are the disadvantages of being sober for a year? Hmmm, none! This time last year I couldn’t imagine a Friday night without wine, let alone Christmas or my birthday or holiday. I thought wine made everything fun. I was wrong. I’ve had the best Friday nights, the best Christmas, the best birthday and the best holiday since I quit drinking. EVERYTHING is better now I’m sober.
How do I say thank you to a bunch of strangers all over the world for helping me rebuild my life? How do I even begin to express my gratitude or tell you how much each one of you means to me? Words don’t really cut it so I’ll use actions instead. For everyone who replied to my posts, congratulated me when I hit a milestone or encouraged me when I was feeling down, I’m going to honour you by not drinking today. And I’m going to carry on honouring you in this way every day from now on. Hope you join me :)

joandmelandhan 11-02-2017 01:14 AM

Oh Kenton sweetie pie I'm wiping a little happy tear! I'm absolutely thrilled for you beyond words! Enjoy your big day! Like Christmas, Easter, your birthday, wedding day all rolled in to one!!!!!!
:hb3

Mags1 11-02-2017 01:26 AM

Hi kenton, brilliant post.

Congratulations on a year :You_Rock_

Dee74 11-02-2017 02:51 AM

Congratulations Kenton :a122:

D

Jules714 11-02-2017 02:51 AM

What an inspiration! Thank you! Congrats!!!
Jules

MelSober 11-02-2017 02:57 AM

Wonderful! You and Jules posts have given me a lot to look forward to. Thank you so much!

PeacefulWater12 11-02-2017 02:59 AM

Congratulations Kenton. What a beautiful post, thanks for sharing.

Outonthetiles 11-02-2017 03:03 AM

Great post, kenton!!! Big congrats on one year and all your accomplishments the past 365 days.
Once we get sober, everything really falls into place. Big insurmountable problems become manageable. Deferred emotions get dealt with. Work improves, family life improves. Everything gets better, often in unexpected ways.

tomls 11-02-2017 03:11 AM

You are pretty awesome girl!

Kaneda8888 11-02-2017 03:38 AM

Fantastic achievement Kenton. Bravo!

tnek97 11-02-2017 03:58 AM

Awesome job, Kenton!

kenton 11-02-2017 11:01 AM

Thanks everyone xxxx

Donnyb 11-02-2017 11:13 AM

Awesome awesome post Kenton. you were inspired now you are inspiring so thank you and enjoy that life!

Gilmer 11-02-2017 11:34 AM

That was an absolutely terrific post—your enthusiasm is contagious!

Many congratulations!

Opivotal 11-02-2017 01:01 PM

Congratulations on 1 year, kenton!

Well done. :) :You_Rock_

oldmate 11-02-2017 03:31 PM

Good job.

SoberLeigh 11-02-2017 04:39 PM

So very happy for you, kenton.

Congratulations on your first of many beautiful sober years! :bbj:

GotTheBlues 11-02-2017 05:46 PM

Top work! A great inspiration!

Hevyn 11-02-2017 06:05 PM

It's hard to believe we once held on to it, thinking life would be boring & sad without it. What a wonderful post - congratulations on the anniversary of getting free, Kenton!

january161992 11-02-2017 07:23 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2YWCP...9QT6/giphy.gif