Notices

Hello, yet again.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, yet again.

Hello everyone. I know it's been a while since I last visited the site. Mostly because I started drinking again after only a month or so. I am glad to say that things finally got so unmanageable I decided, begrudgingly, to give AA a real chance. And after 57 days sober I can say it was the right call. You all suggested I give it a chance but I thought it was silly. I feel like I wasted alot of time fooling around with this because I was too proud to look for real help in person. Hopefully I can stay on track with this and not fall off the wagon..... again. Thank you all.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

57 days is great! Keep going back.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been feeling super anxious and angry
The past 3 or so weeks of sobriety. Alot of tension with the wife. I was embarrassed to come back here, but I already feel much better after posting.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's so normal around the 60 day mark to feel that way! Remember we are still "emotionally defrosting" after numbing out with alcohol/drugs for so long. Be patient with yourself, I'm sure you didn't get to where you are now overnight so it might take some time, but you will get there!! Do you have a sponsor yet?
Old 11-01-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do not have a sponsor and never have. I'm not even really sure what a sponsor does. I assume they are someone who is available to help through trying moments in staying sober.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Travissss View Post
I do not have a sponsor and never have. I'm not even really sure what a sponsor does. I assume they are someone who is available to help through trying moments in staying sober.
In AA, the role of a sponsor is to walk you thru the 12 steps. A guide for navigating the program of AA.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you decided to get help Traviss.
Congrats on your upcoming 60 days

A sponsor will take you through the 12 steps.
Why not give it a shot?

D
Old 11-01-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would actually like to, but I think one of the things that's causing tension between my wife and I, is the fact she can't help me as much as she really wants to. I've found much more insight from alcoholics and I feel like she's angry at the fact that I'm getting more help elsewhere than I can get from her. I may be wrong who knows. Women. Also. I'm an extreme social ******. I left the meeting early the other day because there were so many people in there. I couldn't handle it. Got claustrophobic or something. So I'm finding it hard to really connect with any of these people on an individual level.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It takes time! I would suggest going to different meetings in your community if possible. Find one that feels warm and welcoming, and join it as your "home group". A home group is a group that you are obligated to attend every week. You will get to know other members of the group and participate in service activities (if you should so choose) like chairing the meeting, making coffee, whatever it may be. It helps so much to get to know people!! Again, be patient with yourself. Takes time to get comfortable in any new sober environment. You are on the right path!
Old 11-01-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have chosen a home group, coincidentally it's the only one I've been too. There's a good mix of older and younger people, feels comfortable enough, I'm just weird like that around people in general. I just gotta bust out of my own head. Learn to laugh at myself. Idk. They offer sponsorship at every meeting so I just need to take advantage of that. I usually sneak out as soon as it's over. But I'll try next time to approach someone about a sponsor.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Travissss View Post
I would actually like to, but I think one of the things that's causing tension between my wife and I, is the fact she can't help me as much as she really wants to. I've found much more insight from alcoholics and I feel like she's angry at the fact that I'm getting more help elsewhere than I can get from her. I may be wrong who knows. Women. Also. I'm an extreme social ******. I left the meeting early the other day because there were so many people in there. I couldn't handle it. Got claustrophobic or something. So I'm finding it hard to really connect with any of these people on an individual level.
My normal meeting is held in a small place and sometimes it can feel too crowded/overwhelming to me. I step outside and hangout on the porch nowadays if that happens,then talk to a few after the meeting. When I was court ordered I thought that would seem rude,even though they told me on day 1 that they'd sign all my days if I didn't want to be there. I just knew I needed to be there,so I stayed.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Travissss,

How are you doing today?

Prayer reminder. Keep talking to your HP, however you relate, or even if you don't... developing this relationship really does work... reaching out to HP continually is enough. Let go and let God. You're taking good, right steps. Let the momentum and these new actions take you through any/all tough days.

Kudos to sticking with this. The recovery process does work.

Bad news: there will be worse days ahead.

Good news: take one day at a time and your skills for dealing with good and bad days will get keep growing.