Notices

A change is gonna come

Old 11-01-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A change is gonna come

Hello everybody. I am new to the site.
Today I am 12 days sober. 12 days ago I sat down at a bar to have a drink with some friends. That lead to some more drinks at another bar with some other friends. That bar closed at 2am so off I go to the bar that closed at 3am. This night is not an uncommon occurrence. Back in my early 20's, it was just another weekend. Maybe just another Wednesday night evan.
Eventually I did grow up. I got married and those nights were non-existent for the most part. I still abused alcohol though. Maybe not 'til three in the morning but enough that after six years of marriage I got divorced. I understand that my drinking was the not the sole reason for the divorce, but it was probably the hugest factor. Lately it has dawned on me of how many times I chose drinking over my ex-wife and her needs and it makes me wish I can go back.
But you can never go back, you can only learn. I think its about time I start learning. I have probably been an alcoholic since I started drinking when I was 18. 17 years later and here I am. Countless mistakes, 2 DUI's and Divorced. I have toyed with the idea of quitting for the last year or so but I always go back. For whatever reason that night 12 days ago pushed me over the edge. I understand that I cannot not expect to be happy if I continue down this path. I know there will be moments of weakness but I will fight my hardest to stay on the sober path. Drinking has been my number one priority (subconsciously) for my entire adult life and it is time for that to change.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome slaughteray
It's never too late for a fresh start - you'll find a lot of support here

any ideas on how you might stay sober - the nuts and bolts ?

D
Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your story mirrors mine, and will be familiar to many people here. 12 days is a great start!

I wish you luck. I've found staying close to these message boards has been a great help.

I currently have a little over two weeks, having managed 8 months earlier in the year. It is tough, but slowly and surely I have felt more and more like "me," though that's a really new feeling.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good. Twelve days sober is a good start!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. For right now my plan is to come to this site and just make the right decisions. I know its not much of a plan. I feel like the support I get from here will help and hopefully I can provide support to others. I kinda have the mindset that I can handle everything on my own. I know with this, that is not gonna work. So coming to this site and posting is a big step for me. I thank you and everyone else for support.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find that this forum which allows you to honestly post what you are going through on an anonymous basis, ask questions, talk about what you are going through, your thoughts etc. is very helpful.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. We are the same age and I can tell you life is good. You can rewrite your future. You can't change the past so leave that there and learn from those experiences. I'm pretty sure you won't be sorry.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Slaughteray - you are among friends who care - this is a great place for encouragement.

Some people never see what alcohol is doing to their lives. Thankfully, you know where this is going if you don't stop. Be glad you are getting free of it now - I wish with all my heart I had when I was your age.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Slaughteray--12 days is excellent. SR has helped me immensely with my sobriety and I hope you will stick around. Best wishes on your sober journey.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Slaughteray View Post
For whatever reason that night 12 days ago pushed me over the edge. I understand that I cannot not expect to be happy if I continue down this path.
I had a similar experience when I quit — still not entirely sure why I did when I did, other than just the ongoing lousy situation that was my life at the time. Consider this a newly-discovered opportunity and take full advantage of it