Notices

Al-Anon

Old 11-01-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al-Anon

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or opinion on al-anon meetings. Being that I知 just now dealing with my own dysfunctional relationship with alcohol, I am new to all of the resources available that serve to help in dealing with one痴 own drinking problems or problems affecting close family members. I was researching AA meetings around me and saw that the only meeting that is close to me tonight is an al-anon meeting. After some brief research it looks like it could be beneficial to me since my entire family has been plagued by alcoholism, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any personal experience with these types of meetings. Thank you!!
Old 11-01-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't been to AA or AlAnon meetings, but if you are in a family of alcoholics, AlAnon could be beneficial for you.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go for a double AA and alanon meetings,
Old 11-01-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Al-anon was a game changer for me. I thoroughly recommend it.

You Tube has lots of both AA and Al-anon speakers. There are very few meetings where I live but that hasn't been a problem due to so much being available online. There are all types of 12 step meetings online too.

Best wishes to you
Old 11-01-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! I think I知 going to give it a shot tonight. This is my first meeting ever so I知 a little nervous. Forward, are you saying to go to both AA and Al-Anon meetings or are you saying that they have meetings that combine both. Hopefully the latter because I definitely need both, but I intended to go to both regardless. Just wanted to clarify since I知 just getting my feet wet so to speak with my own recovery. Thanks again!!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Stumbling.
Welcome to SR.
I found Al-Anon very helpful in understanding my family dynamic and the role alcohol played.
Definitely, go.
Could be a game changer.