SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weekender Thread 3-6 November 2017 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/418272-weekender-thread-3-6-november-2017-a.html)

Dee74 11-01-2017 01:24 AM

Weekender Thread 3-6 November 2017

Welcome to the Weekender thread: a source of support and encouragement for everybody across this coming weekend.

If anyone ever wants to write a theme post for any given weekend just let me know by PM beforehand :)

D

petals 11-01-2017 01:34 AM

Shotgun

Purplrks3647 11-01-2017 02:48 AM

Thanks Dee! :wave:

Healthyandsober 11-01-2017 04:13 AM

Thanks Dee! congrats on shotgun petals.

Wednesday still but I'm so ready for the weekend;:thanks

Dee74 11-01-2017 04:21 AM

Yes, I thought it was Thursday...one of those weeks :lmao

D

Leeloo 11-01-2017 04:23 AM

We have a bank holiday today, so I totally forgot for a moment that it wasn't the weekend :D

Healthyandsober 11-01-2017 04:48 AM

no worries i wish it were Thursday too. It is good this thread runs all week it is a good one. thank you Dee:lmao

Gilmer 11-01-2017 05:36 AM

Thanks, Dee! I’m in.

Hawkeye13 11-01-2017 05:40 AM

I'm in--thanks for the thread Dee

BixBees505 11-01-2017 07:27 AM

Oops! I didn't see there was a new thread! I was posting on the old one! Oh well...I will spare you all and just say...good morning, I am IN!

biminiblue 11-01-2017 07:30 AM

But...

Well, okay. Friday can't get here too soon I guess.
https://media.giphy.com/media/blPpTGDhn6hEI/giphy.gif

DarklingSong 11-01-2017 11:09 AM

Thank you Dee. I am in.
I am a bit worried about the weekend.....my AV has been louder than usual this past week. Going to stay close to SR. Have been playing the tape forward but the better I have started feeling, the more the AV has asserted itself.
Going to try and make a specific plan for this weekend to stay sober.

BixBees505 11-01-2017 11:37 AM

Be careful Darkling...that is exactly how it goes at first. Feeling good does not make staying sober easier, after the first blush. On the contrary.

Is there someone in your face-to-face life you can rehearse that plan with? Gives a plan flesh on the bones, I find. I have to tell a trick I have developed: I have to seize a moment when I am clear enough and content with sober enough to share my specific plan with someone. If I wait til my partner gets home, or wait for anything, really, I might have gotten all secretive by that time about my desire to drink. Instead, when I just start to dwell on something stupid, I literally force myself to text out to my partner my plans for the event or the day or later tonight...whatever is starting to get to me. Just a couple of bullets. It pulls me up short. My partner would not try to enforce a plan or bug me about it. So for me, it is a way of mentally checking myself.

DarklingSong 11-01-2017 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by BixBees505 (Post 6657393)
Be careful Darkling...that is exactly how it goes at first. Feeling good does not make staying sober easier, after the first blush. On the contrary.

Is there someone in your face-to-face life you can rehearse that plan with? Gives a plan flesh on the bones, I find. I have to tell a trick I have developed: I have to seize a moment when I am clear enough and content with sober enough to share my specific plan with someone. If I wait til my partner gets home, or wait for anything, really, I might have gotten all secretive by that time about my desire to drink. Instead, when I just start to dwell on something stupid, I literally force myself to text out to my partner my plans for the event or the day or later tonight...whatever is starting to get to me. Just a couple of bullets. It pulls me up short. My partner would not try to enforce a plan or bug me about it. So for me, it is a way of mentally checking myself.

Thank you Bix. You are right....I can feel myself sliding, and it is actually frightening. My partner is a big drinker and although generally supportive he doesn't see the seriousness of my addiction. If I talk to him about it, he says 'you have done so well, a few drinks won't hurt'. I know thats not true. I ended up in a nasty withdrawal when I quit this time. I had PAWS type symptoms that finally went away at around 80 days sober. This necessitated multiple medical investigations (all thankfully ok).

Its 138 days today. Finally I feel normal. The health anxiety and depression have gone. I don't want to mess this up. I know if I do, it is a choice I am making with the full facts of what will happen.

Thank you Bix for your advice and support.

saoutchik 11-01-2017 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In! I was momentarily confused.

138 days is excellent DarklingSong. Ignore that AV.

biminiblue 11-01-2017 01:38 PM

I'll just say....Darkling. . . you're never cured. I picked up after 18 years.

I drank a bit normally for a while. Until all Hell broke loose in my life and I just had to drink more. To cope, you know. Forget. Celebrate. Mourn. Shut up the brain.

Seven years later I put it down again. I had gotten to nearly the same place as the first time I quit. This time I hadn't really suffered any external consequences, but my inner turmoil was brutal.

Not gonna try that little vortex again.

DarklingSong 11-01-2017 01:58 PM

Thanks BiminiBlue. You are 100% right. I know it. I must find a way to do this.

andyh 11-01-2017 05:07 PM

I'm in, thanks Dee :)

Darkling - I'll second what Bimini said, I picked after six years & took eight more to put it down again

Bimini - just looking at that cat is making me paranoid!

BixBees505 11-01-2017 05:12 PM

Good evening. Just finishing work, kinda late, and going to rummage for food. Hope everyone is doing well.

Purplrks3647 11-01-2017 06:16 PM

Next week I will have two days off in a row ~ Thurs & Friday; just speaking up early....there's been very little struggle lately (thank goodness) & that's the perfect opportunity for the AV to pounce....I need to stay close! :vd