Notices

Starting Over

Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Over

I had put several weeks of sobriety together, and I was feeling awesome. And then disaster struck. As some on here may know, I had been having some marital problems. It came to a head about a week and a half ago. My wife told me she wanted a divorce.

I came apart. Instantly went on a binge. And it set in motion about 10 days of hard drinking. At first it was to numb the pain, and then it was to lessen the anxiety, and stop handshaking.

But I refuse to go back to who I was. And my wife has reconsidered, still loves me and wants to make it work (she didn’t see my drinking as I was in a hotel, giving her some space). It was not justifiable to relapse under any circumstances.

So I am back to Day One.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well good for you!

Funny how alcohol trick us into thinking it's our best friend when we're lonely but it was usually the reason I was ever lonely.

I let the fact that it took everything from me to motivate me to stay away from it to try to rebuild my life again.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad your back Horn
Old 10-30-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Horn, I'm glad you're back working on your recovery. Staying sober will be the best thing you can to help your marriage.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you came back Horn. Fresh start.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the kind words. It is good to be able to connect with folks who understand.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Horn. I know you've tried some things in the past ( counseling, meditation? ) to help, have you thought of what you might do differently this time around to make it the last Day 1?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
I had put several weeks of sobriety together, and I was feeling awesome. And then disaster struck. As some on here may know, I had been having some marital problems. It came to a head about a week and a half ago. My wife told me she wanted a divorce.

I came apart. Instantly went on a binge. And it set in motion about 10 days of hard drinking. At first it was to numb the pain, and then it was to lessen the anxiety, and stop handshaking.

But I refuse to go back to who I was. And my wife has reconsidered, still loves me and wants to make it work (she didn’t see my drinking as I was in a hotel, giving her some space). It was not justifiable to relapse under any circumstances.

So I am back to Day One.
I appreciate your honesty as that is not always easy. I am sorry for your relapse, my suggestion would be how to handle those types of situations in the future as that will not be the only rough patch.
Get that plan written down.

I am glad you and your wife are able to work things out.

many blessing