Notices

How long have you been sober?

Old 10-29-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober?

Hey ya'll. I'm hoping I can post this here.
I'd love to know how long you've been sober and if you feel like sharing anything that helped you or your story or anything you feel like sharing. I'd love to hear and I'm sure some others would like to as well, maybe it'll help someone along the way.

My name is Tiffany, I'm a recovering alcoholic!
I have 36 days of sobriety! Yaya!

This forum has greatly contributed to my sobriety along with accepting alcohol and myself can no longer be together in any way shape or form.
I have embarrassed myself in more ways than 1 and more times than 100. I was a constant blackout drinker, it would be 6 beers or 24, it just depended on the day.

I haven't, to this point, really thought about drinking as I have no desire. That doesn't mean someday the AV won't peak its ugly head. In the event it does I have a plan.
Come here
Call someone sober
Talk to my boyfriend
Go to a metting
Paint
Walk on the treadmill
I'll do whatever it takes to not drink.

Through this journey my plans of action or what I'm currently doing could change.

I post here
I go to 1 meeting a week, Sunday
I have an app on my phone, Sober Grid that I also go to often.

I read relapse stories as they help me remain sober. I feel for those struggling, I pray for them to find what they need to remain sober. They also strike a fear within my self.

I can't wait to hear from you and read what you'd like to share.

Thank you,
Tiffany
Old 10-29-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Samantha

1 day sober. I am really trying. I just got a temporary sponsor and started going to AA again.
I really need to work the steps hard this time and get out of this bad place I'm in.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on having over a month sober! Keep going, it gets better.

I'm coming up on 8 yrs sober in early December. But I still remember when it was hard to make 8 days sober. I love my sober life. If you want to read my story, it's on page 5 of the Stories forum.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
1 day sober. I am really trying. I just got a temporary sponsor and started going to AA again.
I really need to work the steps hard this time and get out of this bad place I'm in.
Thank you for sharing. I wish you the best.
What's your plan of action?
Old 10-29-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on having over a month sober! Keep going, it gets better.

I'm coming up on 8 yrs sober in early December. But I still remember when it was hard to make 8 days sober. I love my sober life. If you want to read my story, it's on page 5 of the Stories forum.
Thank you so much! I didn't know there was a stories page, that's great I am going to head over there to read them, and maybe post the long version of mine.

8 years, that's so amazing! I am so proud and happy for you!!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sober 7.5 years.

Finally giving up and going to AA and logging on to this website everyday during early sobriety were keys for me.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

6 days
19 hours
44 minutes

(give or take...)

;-)
Old 10-29-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Thank you for sharing. I wish you the best.
What's your plan of action?
I’m going to try to really focus on the steps and do what I can to get a sponsor.
I have a temporary one online but I’d really like someone I can see in person.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Sober 7.5 years.

Finally giving up and going to AA and logging on to this website everyday during early sobriety were keys for me.
That is so awesome, 7.5 years. Wow. I can't even imagine that time frame right now, probably because I'm focusing on 1 day at a time however to make it that long is a great accomplishment! Congratulations
Old 10-29-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
6 days
19 hours
44 minutes

(give or take...)

;-)
You must have an app, lol. I do as well, seeing the seconds is impressive, feels longer that way!

Way to make that initial step, 6 days is huge!!! Cheers to many more. (water, coffee, tea, whatever your beverage 9f choice is these days! Coffee and water for me!)
Old 10-29-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
I’m going to try to really focus on the steps and do what I can to get a sponsor.
I have a temporary one online but I’d really like someone I can see in person.
That is great. I hope you get your sponsor quickly!!
Old 10-29-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

5.5 years. Once I started having liver pains, it scared me straight. Haven’t looked back!
Old 10-29-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
5.5 years. Once I started having liver pains, it scared me straight. Haven’t looked back!
That sounds terrible, I hope nothing serious ever came about health wise.

5.5 years!!! That's awesome!!! Congratulations
Old 10-29-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

DC, the Stories forum is midway down the main page. It's for stories of recovery for a year or more. It's encouraging to read the stories and realize that sobriety is attainable.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
DC, the Stories forum is midway down the main page. It's for stories of recovery for a year or more. It's encouraging to read the stories and realize that sobriety is attainable.
Thank you, I just finished reading yours.
Wow, I am so proud of you 😁😁
Thank you for sharing with us
Old 10-29-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 1 , fighting for my life! Ty for sharing
Old 10-29-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

8 months, 7 days sober for me. Like many have said, it really does get easier the more time that passes. When I first stopped drinking I spent a lot of time here...many times per day. There's so much great information to take away and build your plan with. I still spend time here. SR has helped me stay on track and I will continue to use the advice from those who have solid time in recovery, as well as remember how bad I felt in the beginning, from those just beginning their journey.

Exercise, renewing old hobbies, keeping busy, journaling, reading and therapy and helping anyone I can has helped me get this far. Sounds like you've got a great plan yourself.

Best of luck on your recovery journey!
Old 10-29-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm two years and a few months sober. I had to join AA, find a sponsor, work the steps, and exercise to find long-term sobriety. Walking on the treadmill sounds like a great idea. I just finished a quick jog myself. I think exercise helped me the most as it made me feel like I was doing something good for myself. Quitting drinking by itself did not help me deal with the problems that caused me to drink. Counseling helped me learn how to analyze my own thought patterns and recognize when I was being too negative.

I relapsed after nine months and stayed sober another nine months. I drank again after nine months and that relapse lasted one night. One thing that helped me was staying out of romantic relationships until I was confident in my commitment to sobriety. If you have a supportive partner that will help you stay sober.

But ultimately I think being sober and staying sober is about loving yourself. You have to believe that you deserve something better than active alcoholism.

Congratulations on 36 days sober!
Old 10-29-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mandy73 View Post
Day 1 , fighting for my life! Ty for sharing
Welcome Mandy!
I know you'll find a lot of support here. Be open to the suggestions, would be my advice. Take what you need and leave the rest.
I'll pray for you, your strength and courage over the next few days. Getting through the first few days is tough, if quitting was easy this forum wouldn't be here.
Before you reach for your DOC, grab the phone come here, I bet someone will help you off the ledge.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
8 months, 7 days sober for me. Like many have said, it really does get easier the more time that passes. When I first stopped drinking I spent a lot of time here...many times per day. There's so much great information to take away and build your plan with. I still spend time here. SR has helped me stay on track and I will continue to use the advice from those who have solid time in recovery, as well as remember how bad I felt in the beginning, from those just beginning their journey.

Exercise, renewing old hobbies, keeping busy, journaling, reading and therapy and helping anyone I can has helped me get this far. Sounds like you've got a great plan yourself.

Best of luck on your recovery journey!
Congratulations on 8 months, that's so awesome!!!!
I love the hobbies idea, I've never been artsy but I decided to pick up painting, that is where I'm putting my alcohol money and it's turned out to be really therapeutic!!
Thank you for sharing

Best wishes to you as well! I hope to read your 1 year in the story forum, if you care to share it. Or celebrate with a high five for you in a few months!!

👏👏👏👏