Blogs


Notices

How long have you been sober?

Old 10-29-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamCatcher17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,435
Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
I'm two years and a few months sober. I had to join AA, find a sponsor, work the steps, and exercise to find long-term sobriety. Walking on the treadmill sounds like a great idea. I just finished a quick jog myself. I think exercise helped me the most as it made me feel like I was doing something good for myself. Quitting drinking by itself did not help me deal with the problems that caused me to drink. Counseling helped me learn how to analyze my own thought patterns and recognize when I was being too negative.

I relapsed after nine months and stayed sober another nine months. I drank again after nine months and that relapse lasted one night. One thing that helped me was staying out of romantic relationships until I was confident in my commitment to sobriety. If you have a supportive partner that will help you stay sober.

But ultimately I think being sober and staying sober is about loving yourself. You have to believe that you deserve something better than active alcoholism.

Congratulations on 36 days sober!

2 years!!! Yayaya, that so great! 😁

I too find working out to help a ton with my built up anger, I have no idea where it all came from 🙃🙃🙃 but I'm finding a healthy way to release it. I'd definitely recommend everyone try it, strength training, yoga, HIIT, whatever but it's a huge stress reliever!!!

Relationships are tough enough, trying to maintain while changing internally can pose a but of a challenge. I'm glad you found what works for you in that department!!

My boyfriend would always tell me I don't love or respect myself with the way I was drinking, I never understood that. I do love and respect myself, so I thought... Maybe I needed a few to think I did. Loving ones self, I am finding to be a struggle, but I work at it everyday. It's tough when one is so flawed (the mind can be so nasty)

Thank you so much for sharing!! *
🌞🌞🌞🌞
DreamCatcher17 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DreamCatcher17 For This Useful Post:
Acheleus (10-30-2017), Dee74 (10-29-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,674
Glad you are here! I am 20 mo and change (the 21st is my month mark so Nov will bring my "last quarter" to two years!).

AA was- at long last- my plan of action and avenue to a completely different life, and one that is more wonderful than I could have imagined. Getting sober was just the first step - I was given a year, 18 mo to live in Feb 2016, and that finally (after about a decade of increasingly devastating alcoholic behavior- was my moment to decide to change. I chose an uncertain future sober over a certain death by drinking.

Once I made that decision, full court press surrender to AA and acceptance of my disease began my journey beyond sobriety, into recovery.

There are other paths that lead people to success- like SMART or AVRT - and I can just attest to what has worked for me so far- given me hope and a future, and seen the promises of AA coming true in spades.

You can do this. Among advice I was given early and heeded was "look for those who have what you want." I looked for - and FOUND- people who had happy, peaceful, full lives in their recovery and decided that is what I wanted too, and go to any lengths and at any costs to have and grow it myself.
August252015 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to August252015 For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member
 
Bunny211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,601
Almost 2.5 years. It hasn't always been easy but it is worth it. Congrats on 36 days!! Great start, keep it up!!
Bunny211 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bunny211 For This Useful Post:
August252015 (10-30-2017), DreamCatcher17 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamCatcher17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,435
Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Glad you are here! I am 20 mo and change (the 21st is my month mark so Nov will bring my "last quarter" to two years!).

AA was- at long last- my plan of action and avenue to a completely different life, and one that is more wonderful than I could have imagined. Getting sober was just the first step - I was given a year, 18 mo to live in Feb 2016, and that finally (after about a decade of increasingly devastating alcoholic behavior- was my moment to decide to change. I chose an uncertain future sober over a certain death by drinking.

Once I made that decision, full court press surrender to AA and acceptance of my disease began my journey beyond sobriety, into recovery.

There are other paths that lead people to success- like SMART or AVRT - and I can just attest to what has worked for me so far- given me hope and a future, and seen the promises of AA coming true in spades.

You can do this. Among advice I was given early and heeded was "look for those who have what you want." I looked for - and FOUND- people who had happy, peaceful, full lives in their recovery and decided that is what I wanted too, and go to any lengths and at any costs to have and grow it myself.
WOW, congrats on 20 months.
Sometimes it does take those health scares to whip us into shape or knock some sense into us.
I am glad you are still here with us to be able to enjoy a sober life and share with us your strength, experience and hope!

DreamCatcher17 is offline  
Old 10-30-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamCatcher17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,435
Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Almost 2.5 years. It hasn't always been easy but it is worth it. Congrats on 36 days!! Great start, keep it up!!
Way to go Bunny!

Thank you. I am enjoying this road, for the most part!

DreamCatcher17 is offline  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Member
 
tomsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: northern michigan. not the U.P.
Posts: 15,281
my DOS is 4/23/05.
however, thats nothing.
1 day, 1 week, 1 month- THATS an accomplishment!
tomsteve is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tomsteve For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 595
I'm a year and almost a month sober.

Drank for most of my life, I'm 46, and basically had enough with living the way I was living. Couldn't take it any longer, so I quit. I found that the mental hurdles were much greater then the physical ones.

If I could give any advice or what I've learned, it would be two things:

1. It's work. You have to put in the time to get your mind and body healed. It's not just not drinking that will keep you sober.

2. Patience. I thought that if I quit everything would be great straight away. Like I said its work. "If you walk 5 miles into the woods you have to walk five miles out".
ljc267 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ljc267 For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-30-2017), MelSober (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamCatcher17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,435
Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
my DOS is 4/23/05.
however, thats nothing.
1 day, 1 week, 1 month- THATS an accomplishment!
Those are all great accomplishments!


DreamCatcher17 is offline  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamCatcher17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,435
Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
I'm a year and almost a month sober.

Drank for most of my life, I'm 46, and basically had enough with living the way I was living. Couldn't take it any longer, so I quit. I found that the mental hurdles were much greater then the physical ones.

If I could give any advice or what I've learned, it would be two things:

1. It's work. You have to put in the time to get your mind and body healed. It's not just not drinking that will keep you sober.

2. Patience. I thought that if I quit everything would be great straight away. Like I said its work. "If you walk 5 miles into the woods you have to walk five miles out".
Way to go, that is awesome!!!!

Patience, yes I am trying to improve in this area, with all things, not just my sobriety!

DreamCatcher17 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DreamCatcher17 For This Useful Post:
ljc267 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Member
 
PeacefulWater12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: uk
Posts: 1,456
I stopped drinking 8 years ago and once that was out of my way, I was able to do the real work of growing up.
PeacefulWater12 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to PeacefulWater12 For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Member
 
thomas11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: MN
Posts: 8,541
This month was 2 years with the exception of one afternoon a couple months ago. Its not a perfect record, but I don't count days. I approached sobriety as a wholesale lifestyle change meaning it involves more than simply counting days.
thomas11 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thomas11 For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-30-2017), MelSober (10-30-2017), PeacefulWater12 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Leduc, Ab
Posts: 758
Today is 65 days for me,

My story, too long. Short version, I drank everyday, became emotionally and mentally unstable and sat down on my bedroom floor by the bathroom and said "I can't go on living like this anymore god please help me" I was contemplating suicide but was to afraid to die. I was also to afraid to live like I was anymore. I had already ended up in the hospital after downing half a bottle of pills a few weeks earlier. I gave up and called my old sponsor and got back into meetings.

Whats been working for me.

Talking to my sponsor on a regular basis
Praying every morning and night
Going to lots of meetings
Committing on SR everyday to stay sober
Getting into the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous with my sponsor.
Working with a Addictions Councillor
Hats is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hats For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-30-2017), PeacefulWater12 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,960
11 months'ish..I don't count days and there was a 'one night stand' thrown in the mix. Just like my name; I can't remember when it was and don't want to look for my post about it/read what happened that night again. Still feel bad about it.
DontRemember is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DontRemember For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
Patience. I thought that if I quit everything would be great straight away. Like I said its work. "If you walk 5 miles into the woods you have to walk five miles out".
Oh my gosh, that is perfectly put! I think I am going to print that out and tape it where I can read it everyday. Thanks.
MelSober is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MelSober For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamCatcher17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,435
Originally Posted by Hats View Post
Today is 65 days for me,

My story, too long. Short version, I drank everyday, became emotionally and mentally unstable and sat down on my bedroom floor by the bathroom and said "I can't go on living like this anymore god please help me" I was contemplating suicide but was to afraid to die. I was also to afraid to live like I was anymore. I had already ended up in the hospital after downing half a bottle of pills a few weeks earlier. I gave up and called my old sponsor and got back into meetings.

Whats been working for me.

Talking to my sponsor on a regular basis
Praying every morning and night
Going to lots of meetings
Committing on SR everyday to stay sober
Getting into the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous with my sponsor.
Working with a Addictions Councillor
Hats:
Thank you for sharing! I am glad you are here to help others and yourself along the way!

DreamCatcher17 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DreamCatcher17 For This Useful Post:
Hats (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by MelSober View Post
Oh my gosh, that is perfectly put! I think I am going to print that out and tape it where I can read it everyday. Thanks.
You're welcome! I read that statement here and I try to remember it when life gets tough.
ljc267 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ljc267 For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,674
Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
my DOS is 4/23/05.
however, thats nothing.
1 day, 1 week, 1 month- THATS an accomplishment!
Agreed!

A gentleman in my home group got a chip today - for 29 years. And he said that wasn't the important part - being with us today, sober, was. That's some good "have what I want kind of thinking as far as I'm concerned!
August252015 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to August252015 For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 20
Almost 6 months
Newdavisdawning is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Newdavisdawning For This Useful Post:
DreamCatcher17 (10-31-2017)

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 PM.