Notices

Don't want a relapse to sneak up on me...

Old 10-28-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't want a relapse to sneak up on me...

I feel great about my sobriety! Day 146... I feel like I never want another sip of alcohol for as long as I live.

I feel strong in my sobriety right now... But I would like to hear others experiences with relapse. I have relapsed at least 5 times but this is my longest stretch. I always said, "if i can make it to six months, I think I'll be in the clear." ...but for those who have returned to drinking after months and even years of sobriety, I'm curious as to how you felt during that time of sobriety and what caused you to go back.

I don't want to let my guard down. Thank you everyone😁
Old 10-28-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I stopped and gave up any idea that I'd ever drink again I stopped any have no thoughts of drinking again. I've been sober 40 months.

The habits of not drinking are so normal now, nothing, holidays, nothing makes me think or worry about drinking.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Kate.
Glad you are doing well. Good on ya.
For me, acceptance was key.
I had to accept that drinking had to stay out of my life.
I was risking my health, my marriage to an absolutely wonderful man, and the drink was controlling me.
I just took it, as we say, one day at a time.
I didn’t think about my sober time much.
I stopped counting days at some point.
I just bone deep accepted that drinking was not for me.
I tried moderating for several years before I quit altogether.
It just didn’t work.
Peace.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kate angel, I relapsed a month ago after 7 months sober, I back to day 3 now and feel absolutely disgusted, I felt on top of the world 7 months ago and picked up a drink for no reason, I feel worse now than I ever did drinking, the destruction I caused in a few weeks drinking is unbelievable, so my advice would be get the thought of relapse out of your head I wish I had but I talked myself into it and now I’m paying the price, don’t make the same mistake I did, best of luck
Old 10-28-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kate,

Congratulations on your recovery!

I think that the longer you're in recovery, the more your thinking will change to support you in the process.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sobriety had to be a complete lifestyle change for me. I’m over six months, feel decent, but I don’t think about having a relapse. I think about a sober day. If I focus on a relapse....I’d probably have one. Now days drinking isn’t on my mind all the time. I am very aware but not focused on alcohol. New habits have taken its place gratefully. But I believe if I’m not vigilant, I will eventually fall.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kateangel

I think as long as you keep putting effort into your recovery, you'll never be ambushed

The bottom line is we raise the glass or the bottle to our lips - if you refuse to do that, no matter what the provocation, you're in good stead

Like Ann says, we change - I'd sooner play in traffic than take a drink now

D
Old 10-28-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"and what caused you to go back."

After ten years of raising my daughter by myself, getting her through high school and into college, the thought occurred to me:

"if ANYONE deserves a drink, a bottle of GOOD sippin' Scotch for the occasional, respectful sip, it's ME!"

Went downhill fast, as was soon right back where I was (and then worse) when I stopped drinking to be able to raise her.

In other words, I forgot the bad stuff, assumed that after TEN YEARS I could handle it.

Once that switch is flipped, I'm afraid there's no turning it off.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time and good for you for thinking this through ahead of time. I had a relapse come up on me seemingly out of nowhere, yet when I went back and analysed I could see that the seeds were planted earlier. I would say to continue be aware of anything that could be planting a seed. Also, protect yourself from risky situations. I relapsed by taking a sip of cooking wine- which then set me off on a three day bender. My drinking patterns were that I drank wine, I drank at home, I always drank while cooking. It was just really un-smart of me to make a recipe that called for wine. I think some people- those with different drinking patterns and different triggers- could possibly cook with wine safely, but for me to do so was really playing with fire. So think through your own situation and really try to weed out any remaining situations or triggers. Try to give yourself another clean out. You've obviously already done a really good job at that, but I am sure if you look hard you can find other ways to make an improvement.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies 😁

I cannot stand my drunk self. I know that as soon as I take that one sip I am letting her out. She is everying I am not and refuse to let her free. However, this disease is way more powerful than I had ever imagined... until I found myself in the clutches of alcoholism. One of the worst cases I know personally so I don't want to underestimate it at all.

Cannot, will not, refuse to, go back.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My life has changed in all directions over the past few months(11?) and I still think about drinking from time to time. I did have a one night 'slip' in there and completely lost control,so I use that night as a reminder of 'where I go' with booze. I had broke up with my girlfriend a few days prior, because of her drinking/actions, and stupidly put myself in a drinking party situation. It wasn't my utmost worst night of drinking and a lot of 'normal' guys would think it was a great night. Me...I felt nothing but shame and regret. So..I don't do that anymore.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My program gives me a plan of action to follow every day, and that's the best way I can have a sober, well lived today and the best chance of the same tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kateangel View Post
...but for those who have returned to drinking after months and even years of sobriety, I'm curious as to how you felt during that time of sobriety and what caused you to go back.

I don't want to let my guard down. Thank you everyone😁
my DOS is 4/23/05. until that day, i never made a real commitment to recovery. there were times i stopped drinking for my job, family, or some other outside source other than for myself.
i havent drank since because i dont rest on my laurels. i know how cunning,baffling,powerful,patient, and deadly alcoholism is. i know its waiting for me to dwell on one wrong thought. i know how easy it is to let my thinking start thinking," a beer sure sounds good" and not stop that thought- to not recognize how insane that thought is.
one reason is because i remember my past and how well "just a couple" didnt work.
plus, ive heard and read many,many people that have gone back out. i have yet to hear or read, from those that were able to make it back, that it was awesome and no problems occured.
i am STILL an alcoholic. i have recovered from the hopeless state of mind and body that made me drink.
and dwelling on one wrong thought can put me back into active alcoholism.