Notices

I can’t win.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Anarock

I wish it was as easy as filling our life up with stuff and the problem disappears...but then again we spent years trying to fill the void in us with stuff - and that never works either.

I think if you can accept the existence of the inner void, and our inability to fill it, you're pretty much closing in on step one?

D
Is there anybody out there that can help me to save this post? I know it will eventually disappear but I don't want to lose it. I'm not savvy when it comes to technology but would love to be able to save it on my computer. Maybe come up when I open my computer as a screen saver. Something I see every day. Thanks. John
Old 10-29-2017, 12:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can always cut and paste it in word or something John.

I just hope you get what I meant.

I'm nor saying we have to resign ourselves to carrying around a void forever - I'm saying that a void that can't be filled can still be be healed up, just like any other wound

D.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The anxiety and guilt has me today, bad.
Of course I will look back on this and learn from it I hope.
I do want to try to find a real sponsor, but haven’t been able to yet.
Also would like to try the 90 in 90 but I really only have a group that meets 3 times a week and one doesn’t work with my schedule. So maybe I can focus on going twice a week.
I have a meeting today at 230 and I wish it was earlier, I really need it.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had the privilege of sponsoring a man who, because of family commitments, could only manage 2 meetings a week. That was ok, as it is not the meetings that got him sober. Instead of ninety meetings in ninety days, we more or less did twelve steps in twelve weeks. He made an amazing recovery.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
a temporary sponsor is for temporary sobriety.
it would be wise to learn what a sponsor is and the duty of a sponsor, which this pamphlet is pretty good for that:
https://www.aa.org/
assets/en_US/aa-literature/p-15-questions-and-answers-on-sponsorship

https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf
Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

to find a sponsor, listen at meetings- listen for someone that has what you want. listen for someone that talks the program.
then appraoch and ask em to be your sponsor. it can happen that a sponsor is already loaded with sponsees and has to decline. if that happens, ask if they know someone that would be able to sposnor ya.
I'll respectfully add that (around here, at least) the idea of a "temporary" sponsor is generally used so that the sponsor can lay out the program, begin to work with the sponsee with expectations set (ie, how the two communicate, how/when/often they meet, ideas like 90/90, BB study) and it's a space (usually quite short, IME and observation) where the sponsee in particular can decide if the outlines as above, say, are acceptable- are they willing?
Old 10-29-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Samantha

That gives me hope. There just isn’t a lot of meeting options here so there’s no way I could make it every day. I want to though. I really need to recover!
Old 10-29-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Dont worry too much about the quantity of meetings. We recover by the steps we take, not the meeting we make.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna...it's not just about staying busy and keeping yourself occupied...in fact in this ole world there is almost too much busyness and it's good to slow down a bit, learn to be comfortable in your own skin...take your shoes off and stay awhile...yet willing to make needed change. For myself, I've needed to scale back on a few things that were perhaps taking up time not doing me much good in the long run. Am I just loading myself down with busy stuff or am I doing things that truly help my whole being including my soul? Only way I can answer the question I just put forth is to be totally honest with myself and see what I came up with. Being totally honest with yourself is like shining a light into the inner recesses...and that's not always a fun thing to do...as the truth can make us downright uncomfortable or even troubled.

So when I am "troubled"...rather than run away from it cuz it might feel scary and not in my comfort zone...I've just told myself to let myself set a spell with feeling troubled and let the answers come...those answers may not be what I like or want...but when honesty shines into my life I need to listen up and have a willing attitude.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

And I think you can win. In fact, I think you are a winner. What kind of winner do you really want to be? Think about that. What is a "winner"? Do we win at certain things or do we submit? Now, bear with me, I'm not trying to argue about the concept of "winning"....but there are some cases in which I found out the only way to win was to submit to the right things. So, for myself: winning sometimes comes via submission.I don't know if that makes any sense whatsoever, but it's happened to me that way. But more than a sense of "winning", I'd have to say I put a much higher price on whatever it takes to have peace in my life...and that continues to be a work in progress and there are just things that come up I have to deal with and decisions to make...will a certain decision bring peace or not? Sometimes it's just not that easy to know.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thanks everyone. I’m taking everything into consideration and am now on day 5! Didn’t have any withdrawal symptoms other than anxiety and a bit of nausea the first day, and headache.
Now I’m back to the gym in full force and ready to recover!
Old 11-03-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
Thanks everyone. I’m taking everything into consideration and am now on day 5! Didn’t have any withdrawal symptoms other than anxiety and a bit of nausea the first day, and headache.
Now I’m back to the gym in full force and ready to recover!
I usually work out a lot but of course on a bender that’s not possible 😞
Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Have an awesome work out Anarock.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I'll respectfully add that (around here, at least) the idea of a "temporary" sponsor is generally used so that the sponsor can lay out the program, begin to work with the sponsee with expectations set (ie, how the two communicate, how/when/often they meet, ideas like 90/90, BB study) and it's a space (usually quite short, IME and observation) where the sponsee in particular can decide if the outlines as above, say, are acceptable- are they willing?
understand. personally i work that out with someone when they ask me to sponsor. ask them if they want what the program has. if they dont know, suggest reading the bb to find out, then get back with me.
if they know, ask if theyre willing to go to any lengths to get it.
if no, then i dont sponsor.
if yes, then start guiding as a sponsor.
i dont set any expectations either. too controlling. its their recovery and i allow them to be in control of how they recover.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

5 days is wonderful, Anarock - great news to hear.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Learning To Say "No"

Here's a link to a Dave Ramsey clip. It's great, IMO. He's more about saying "No" to things you can't afford, but the principle can be applied to other areas of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhG6abrb5bI