Notices

Health anxiety

Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health anxiety

Anyone else googled every little ache. Or pain during recovery and feel like they are doomed?
Old 10-27-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay away from Doctor Google!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I totally have and it's part of my anxiety/OCD for sure. Hard to deal with but like the previous poster said "no dr. Google!" It will have you thinking your entire body is falling apart and your body is not falling apart.... health anxiety is the worst. Hugs to you
Old 10-27-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, it's something I try to stay away from.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I certainly have been guilty of seeing Dr. Google. Terrible idea, the internet will convince you you're going to be dead by dinner time. If you are concerned, see a doctor.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Lou,

Now that i am a non drinker i feel things that i never felt.

I'm older as well so there is that too...

I went to the dr. And am getting a full screening.

Otherwise, i figure if i was able to drink like a fish for 40 plus years...i am pretty friggen tough.

I doubt...knock on wood...i am going to drop dead w out a pretty big fight.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Health anxiety has been a problem for me for a long time .
Forever seeking reassurance from the doc , getting reassured feel better ,wondering if he missed something , what if it's not just anxiety based and so on .
I try hard not to google these days as you will always see a horrible word and as Thomas 11 says you think you will be gone by dinner time.

One of the best things I done was to get out of anxiety sites where they dwell on every ache and pain imaginable . However sometimes i'm drawn back to check on a previous post from the past .
The mind plays funny tricks on us at times and sometimes its difficult to pull out of a cycle of worry ,symptoms ,fear ,
Old 10-27-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt doomed when I was drinking daily, but not since stopping. If you've cut out the poison, then make sure you're hydrating, eating well, and getting plenty of vitamins. Your body will recover. While drinking this past year I've had chronic horrible hives (to the point the doctor said "wholly crap!" I also had alcoholic neuropathy in my feet. In addition to a laundry list of other stuff including acid reflux, migrains, etc. Two short months w/o alcohol and hives/neuropathy are completely gone. Hang in there it's worth it!
Old 10-27-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
South Asian

Oh yes. Every time I stop. It gets better the longer I stay sober. The challenge is to remember the anxiety and bad feelings when you are feeling better. So you don't have to go through them again. A challenge I have not so far been very successful with. But still trying.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Definitely, Loui! As much as I drank it's amazing that I didn't cause myself any lasting harm; our bodies are remarkably resilient. It is normal to feel a lot of anxiety in early sobriety. I have anxiety disorder and OCD as well so i have felt extra-doomed at times. Just continue not to drink and your worries will ease.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its a common thing to do. Google will always present the worst case scenario. If you're really worried please see your regular face to face doctor Loui

D
Old 10-28-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In that club ! And I always read negatives and skip positive or helpful stuff 😂
Old 10-30-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I binge drink about 5 tall cans of 5% beer every evening 7 days per week. I have a constant, mild pain around right side where my liver is located. I also have a little excema on my right palm which I know for sure is related to my drinking. I also have a big belly, which I do not think is ascetis but rather just overweight. I find that I get stiff all over but especially my legs if remain seated at a desk for too long. I have gained about 40 lbs due to drinking. I have googled and googled every symptom. Learned all about different stages of liver disease from fatty liver to cirrohsis and cancer. Bottom line ladies and gentlemen is to stop drinking otherwise it will kill you and it will no doubt, unless something else gets you first. I know that all of my symptoms are related to the drinking. Five and a half years ago I stopped drinking for 2 1/2 years and all of the symptoms disappeared. That's the only solution for you. The sooner the better. Alcohol will not make anything better. Alcohol has never fixed anything.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't waste your time googling your symptoms. If you are worried about your health, and you should be if your drink then go to your doctor and get checked out. Make sure that you are completely honest with him or her as to how much you drink.

And most of all regardless of how well or how bad it goes with the doctor STOP DRINKING. That is the only cure period. Otherwise you will eventually kill yourself. Alcoholism is just a long and deceitful form of suicide. Sooner you realize this and accept it as a truth, the sooner you will have a real reference point to make your decisions. Don't believe me? Just follow the history of other alcoholics that have gone before you. That's where you will end up - no doubt. The sooner you stop the better of a chance you will have of salvaging what's left.

You will have many, many regrets if you keep drinking. You will have no regrets if you stop drinking!