Notices

4+ months...feelings & anxiety

Old 10-26-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4+ months...feelings & anxiety

Hi all! Sorry I've been MIA. Been superbly busy working on my sobriety. Completed my 4th and 5th steps today. Felt great and then I got all overwhelmed and anxious ...I certainly did not drink. That didn't even cross my mind.
I'm just struggling with all these feelings. I am fu of them. I comprehend that it's bc I drank them all away..but by gisb they can be unreasonable and they come and go so frequently.
Granted; I'm going through some things. I'm moving very soon. I start a new job on Monday and I have been seeing someone for 6 weeks. (He's one of us with a year sober) These things are all positive and I am very happy 90% of the time.
I know receiving a particularly horrific email from my ex husband set this off...today.
I went yo two meetings and reached out to friends in the program...and it passed, but I have had these overwhelming moments a lot recently.
Fir example, things are going so well with this new man and sometimes I just want to run! Like it's too good to be true is I don't deserve it. My mind tells me to totally re-freaking-lax...but my heart races.
How did you all sort through the newness of intense feelings and anxiety.
After my initial withdrawl, my anxiety all but disappeared.
Also: short term memory still so bad. I hate that! So frustrating.
Thanks all.
Hope everyone is well!! XO
Jules
Old 10-26-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time Jules.

I took things slowly, reintroducing my self to things and situations that were the least difficult and least emotional and working my way up.

Eventually tho of course you hi some rough points.

It all took time.
Each new situation was something else learned - sometimes I handled things well and other times not so much.

I had to understand that the bottom line was I was allowed to feel anything - I just couldn't drink over it.

D
Old 10-26-2017, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jules714 - I can relate to the feelings are over the map. I too have dealt with my fair share of stress and heartache as well. I am glad to see ( well not really glad) that someone else besides me is having short term memory loss! I feel like a complete dah...when I can't remember something from a day, week or month ago. I can't wait to get that back to normal and also yo yo emotions. This too shall pass? BTW I am right with you on sobriety, I just reached 4 months yesterday! :-)
Old 10-27-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Jules714 View Post
How did you all sort through the newness of intense feelings and anxiety.

Jules
being of service to others/ in AA

the tool God gives us to focus on the real problem -- our selfish self- centered nature

coffee maker
chair setup/ cleanup
greeter
secretary the meeting
coffee cleanup
chips/ literature buyer/ organizer
on and on

working with new(er) comers

Old 10-27-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jules, you are going through a lot of changes now, and it's not surprising that you're feeling anxious.

What worked for me, was exercise (walking a lot) and meditation.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Does the short term memory issue resolve after awhile? It took me awhile recognize that it seems to be lasting longer than any other negative effect. What gives?
Old 10-28-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Jules, just wondering did you follow the directions in the last paragraph on page 75, and see the promises in the second paragraph?