Notices

Trying

Old 10-26-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Trying

I've been dry for 3 days. I am a sneaky drinker and when I buy it I put some in my sports drink and the rest I carrying in my purse and hide it.
I drank too much in one day last week, Husband was furious about my lying. and trusting me. I'm trying to help myself, got the book by Hams, and he doesn't agree with it. He thinks there should me consequences for my behavior if I goof up. I'm trying to break this pattern of buying box wine when I go shopping. I do need help because I was escalating. I haven't lied or denied about drinking. But hes making the rules and I'm resenting them. I was drinking at home alone(worst thing you can do). but not enuff to get drunk. I opened up a beer yesterday to share with him at lunch, open and honest and he blew up. We poured it out. He said I didn't care what he thought. We've done it before???I justcried and cried.
I have a hard time with this site.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Edwardsc, sorry to hear you are still struggling. It's almost impossible for those who are not addicts to understand whats' going on with us, but that also doesn't excuse our behavior. For example, you say that you aren't lying about your drinking, but you are hiding it from him in your sport drink/etc. That might not be outright lying, but it's not being truthful either now is it?

How about setting some of your own rules on drinking? Have you considered seeking some local help via a doctor or cousnelor? Or maybe through a support group? Having local support can be very important, especially during the first/early stages of quitting.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you quit drinking completely wouldn't that solve all your problems?
Old 10-26-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
If you quit drinking completely wouldn't that solve all your problems?
^^This. Or most of them.

It sounds pretty uncomfortable.

Are you ready to just quit and be done with all this? Then you can sort out that relationship with some clarity.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi edwards

if you don't want you husband to be some kind of sober policeman I think you'd do well to look into meeting based support from places like AA or SMART or lifering.

The are also non meeting based approaches like Rational Recovery.

Whichever one you pick, they all can help you to take responsibility for your own recovery, be your own police, and hopefully get you to a point of acceptance where you don't resent giving up?

D
Old 10-26-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is probably going to take a long time for him to see you are trying.
Keep it up though. 3 days is a great start.

Welcome to SR.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sober time should make everything better. With time, his trust will come back. With time you can come to believe that sobriety is not a curse but a gift.

Its hard to picture enjoying life unmedicated at first. Please stick with it, get over the hump and claim your reward
Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Edwardsc393 View Post
I've been dry for 3 days. I am a sneaky drinker and when I buy it I put some in my sports drink and the rest I carrying in my purse and hide it.
I drank too much in one day last week, Husband was furious about my lying. and trusting me. I'm trying to help myself, got the book by Hams, and he doesn't agree with it. He thinks there should me consequences for my behavior if I goof up. I'm trying to break this pattern of buying box wine when I go shopping. I do need help because I was escalating. I haven't lied or denied about drinking. But hes making the rules and I'm resenting them. I was drinking at home alone(worst thing you can do). but not enuff to get drunk. I opened up a beer yesterday to share with him at lunch, open and honest and he blew up. We poured it out. He said I didn't care what he thought. We've done it before???I justcried and cried.
I have a hard time with this site.
I’m not sure what you’re saying here, i don’t mean to be obtuse, but there are three options here: 1. Drink freely. 2. Try to moderate your drinking and 3. Quit drinking. Working on options one and two are not part of this website. I’m not even sure what it was you goofed up? Was it an attempt to quit or an attempt to mode rate? If you get clear about your goals it’s easier to help you.