SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Halloween Weekenders Thread 27-31/10 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/417993-halloween-weekenders-thread-27-31-10-a.html)

Dee74 10-25-2017 10:54 PM

Halloween Weekenders Thread 27-31/10

:Blackcat04:

https://cdn-img-0.wanelo.com/p/892/a...0/x354-q80.jpg

To The Weekender Thread for

27-31 October 2016

Hi and welcome to the Weekender Thread!

This is a place where anyone and everyone can come for support - especially over the weekend - but also right through the coming week as well.

All you have to do to join is post - we'd love to see you come aboard

no volunteers this week so just me wishing everyone a Happy Safe and sober Halloween...

If you need support through any festivities, rest assured we're here to help!

Like any holiday there can be a lot of traps and treacherous invitations out there...be smart, plan ahead and if in doubt - sit it out :)

A Safe and Sober Halloween

Emergency room visits are five times more likely to occur on Halloween than on a “regular” weekend night.

– The Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN)

Halloween like many other holidays is a day often marked by celebrations, which to varying degrees, involve alcohol or other illicit substances.

Currently ranked in a poll comprised of individuals between the ages of 13 and 25, Halloween is considered one of the top-ten nights of the year to party; and for many it even falls into the top-five. One study among college students even ranked it as one of the three heaviest drinking days of the year, among holidays such as New Year’s Eve and Thanksgiving.

Safe and Sober Halloween
Though Halloween may seem like a holiday of alcohol and drug abuse, and a day during which those in addiction recovery should hibernate, it doesn’t have to be.

There are plenty ways to celebrate Halloween without jeopardizing one’s recovery. Some of which can include:
  • Plan your own Halloween event at home: By creating or gathering an event in your own home you are able to control who attends, as well as make sure that there are no drugs or alcohol present, or individuals under the influence.
  • Hold a movie night: Why not take advantage of the horror movie marathons that air around Halloween, or grab a few friends and have everyone bring their favorite horror movie to share.
  • Get crafty or try your hand in the kitchen: One of the aspects of addiction treatment is learning new and healthy ways to spend your time. Use Halloween as a time to try out new recipes or do-it-yourself projects with Halloween themes, or even decorate and transform your house into a haunted house for the occasion.
  • Consider attending a support group meeting: Holidays can be stressful times for those in recovery. Reaching out and surrounding yourself for the night with others who have been through drug rehab treatment can be extremely beneficial.
  • Be honest and say NO: Don’t worry about offending people or being peer pressured into joining an event you feel uncomfortable about. Turn down such events with honestly about your treatment program and journey through recovery. Those who respect you will respect and support your choice.
  • Take part in traditional Halloween activities: Halloween is not just about drug and alcohol abuse. Following other traditional Halloween activities such as trick or treating, bobbing for apples, haunted houses, sweet treats, and dressing up in costume can be a great method for relapse prevention.

During holidays like Halloween, individuals struggling with addiction are often faced with more pressures to drink and do drugs. Yet finding alternative ways to celebrate, as well as surrounding yourself with trustworthy and supportive friends and family can help keep the feelings of isolation at bay and avoid relapse.

Addiction recovery is all about redefining your life and changing the way you live. Why not begin a new tradition this Halloween or discover your new favorite alternative way to celebrate?
If you or someone you love is struggling with drug or alcohol addiction don’t let another day pass by without reaching out for help.

from
recoveryplace.com
also some general ideas for getting through social occasions here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html

D

theVman31 10-25-2017 11:08 PM

Shotgun and thank you D

MidnightBlue 10-25-2017 11:09 PM

Shotgun!

MidnightBlue 10-25-2017 11:10 PM

Ah, I've missed my shotgun.

Thank you, Dee for the thread!

Congrats on the shotgun, Vinny)

theVman31 10-25-2017 11:13 PM

Hi hi hi. ..there must have been a couple milliseconds in the difference. Happy Halloween MB and all.

:Witch7:

MidnightBlue 10-25-2017 11:31 PM

Happy Halloween, weekenders!
:Pumpkinwave::ghost

badgerden 10-25-2017 11:43 PM

Happy Spooky Candy avoiding weekend all!

Badge

Purplrks3647 10-26-2017 02:56 AM

Thanks Dee! Looking forward to some creative energy instead of drinking myself stupid! :Pumpkinsmal: :ghost :Pumpkinlaugh:

https://s1.postimg.org/2612yxohgf/Ha...Beagle_Pup.jpg

MidnightBlue 10-26-2017 03:59 AM

Looks like my Halloween has already started. I've just been at my lawyers' and they told that banks are sueing me. Oh, well.

STDragon 10-26-2017 04:04 AM

I've got the next week off! not back to work until Thursday. Big plans are to get the garage cleaned up so I can park the car inside and get some projects done around the house but most importantly, getting ready for halloween night!

STDragon 10-26-2017 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue (Post 6650321)
Looks like my Halloween has already started. I've just been at my lawyers' and they told that banks are sueing me. Oh, well.

Uh oh!

Gilmer 10-26-2017 04:13 AM

I’m sorry, MB!

You’d think they’d have clued in by now that YOU DON’T HAVE ANY MONEY!

:headbange

MidnightBlue 10-26-2017 04:43 AM

Yes, Gilmer.

I've expected it to happen any time, but still sucks.

saoutchik 10-26-2017 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for opening the thread Dee!

MidnightBlue sorry to read that your banks are being idiots, suing for something that isn't there, ie a pot of money is very foolish. I don't know of course but if it was UK my suspicion would be that they are trying to scare you into paying more than you can afford. I'm sure you will face them down.

While we celebrate all things spooky this weekend the real nightmare for us is drugs and alcohol, lets not star in our own personal horror show this weekend!

BixBees505 10-26-2017 05:47 AM

Morning all.

MB...very sucky. I’m sure sorry you have to deal with this.

I have no plans for social anything this weekend. Dragon, I cleared my garage so I could park just last weekend. I now feel great about my garage. Unfortunately, the stuff just goes from one place to another, so I am more unhappy with other locations. I need to sell/give/junk a LOT of stuff. This is something I don't do well.

Happy Halloween...boo!!

MidnightBlue 10-26-2017 05:59 AM

Thank you for kind words, friends.

Unfortunately or fortunately, I don't know how to take it, it's quite logical for banks. A fixed amount of money (50% to be exact) will be deducted from my salary till I pay off my debt. Since I defaulted on money I borrowed from banks it's 100% that the court will make this decision.

Anyway, I have a place where to live, money to buy food, 6 months of gym membership. I'll figure it out. :vd

andyh 10-26-2017 06:05 AM

Happy Hallowe'en weekenders

here's a pumpkin I made a few years ago

https://s1.postimg.org/693ul4i1lr/pumpkin15.jpg

MidnightBlue 10-26-2017 06:12 AM

Great pumpkin, Andy!

happyandfree 10-26-2017 06:29 AM

I'm in for a sober weekend and a sober Halloween -
I used to get very smashed handing out the candy. Those days are over.
I've been away for a couple of weeks and wasn't able to sign in for some reason, so that's the only reason I haven't been around.
midnightblue. ..that's a drag about the banks and the lawsuits but these things have a way of working themselves out. Better you deal with it and get through it so you can move on. It sounds like you're ok and can deal with the payments. Try not to let it mess with your serenity, although any mention of lawsuit is upsetting. You can handle this.
I love the pumpkin, Andy. Mine is sitting on my counter, still uncarved.
and....congratulations to you guys who cleaned out your garages!! I love being able to put my car in my garage. It's like my car has it's own little room....safe and sound from thieves and bad weather.
Ok....have a great day, everyone!
:)

theVman31 10-26-2017 06:31 AM

Well done MB for staying positive and all.
Hello to all the weekenders