Notices

My eye-lid swelling/flush-face... when will it go away?

Old 10-25-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My eye-lid swelling/flush-face... when will it go away?

I'm on the night of day 2. Just trying to sit/enjoy Game 2 of the World Series. That's normally (BTW) a night that I'd lay a huge bet and go drinking. So, not the easiest... Already had to take a day off work just to go through my shakes/tremors.

As far as my situation... My only knowledge is from reading up. I am finding out that this is a rare case. Most drinkers do not get this (even the longest, most hardcore ones). It was a reaction that did not even start for me until about a year and a half ago. When my drinking really became chronic again. Not that I've been going along for decades, but I'm 25. Been drinking heavy since I was 16 (on-and-off).

I read that it's just kind of a genetic thing, and alcoholism does run in my family. I'm sure if I could go back and talk to my grandparents (older aunts/uncles who were heavy drinkers) they would have possibly had it too. I actually read that it's more common among natives, so maybe my 1/8 Cherokee blood is kicking in? Sounds silly, right? I really don't know. Never seen anything like it.

Alcohol-related massive eyelid edema has been rarely reported. The
differential diagnosis includes local and systemic conditions. Alcohol
itself can be associated with dermatological hypersensitivity reactions,
appearing soon after alcoholic drinks. Massive bilateral eyelid swelling
can constitute diagnostic pitfalls and therapeutic challenges to general
practitioners with a placebo.

Massive swelling of the eyelids is a rare condition that can cause severe
visual impairment and has been associated with rosaceous lymphedema

And thankfully I don't have anything else listed from the link, which I can't post because of my post count not being 15 or greater... which gives a medical breakdown

However, this is a big problem. It may even be a blessing in disguise though... because it's made me come to terms with how bad my drinking gets. Waking up and seeing my face swollen isn't fun. Then seeing it multiply every night that I compound drinking on top of it. Getting to the point, where a few days ago. I walked into work, and one of the women I work with thought there was something horribly wrong with me. Like I had the flu or something.

I'd just like to know if anyone else has had this before, and how long it took to go away. It's apart of my life connected to my drinking, that I'd like to put behind me. I know from other times I went on binges... it DOES go away. I just would like to know, from a big binge. How long?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don’t know anything about your condition,but it sounds nasty. I hope you recover soon and are able to stay sober. This is a great community to work on sobriety, so welcome.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Richie - never had an eyelid swelling - if thats not getting better or you're worried about it I'd maybe see a Doc?

Searching Doctor Google will always lead to worst case scenarios and it may be a mess of anxiety over nothing.

D
Old 10-25-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great game,ehh? Took me about 5-10 days to get 'normal' looking.

Those homers caught my attention.. When I was drinking heavily, I ordered an Ice mask to help with the swelling...what a waste of money! NOTHING except not anymore drinking was fixing it.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Great game,ehh? Took me about 5-10 days to get 'normal' looking.

Those homers caught my attention.. When I was drinking heavily, I ordered an Ice mask to help with the swelling...what a waste of money! NOTHING except not anymore drinking was fixing it.
Crazy game! But... Okay, good.

I tried taking some ice cubes and icing them the other day before work, so I didn't look so deadly. Didn't exactly work. haha

Hopefully in a couple more days, I'll have my face back.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’ve never had eye swelling, but I had an eyelid twitch for well over a year- which I put down to lack of sleep/stress etc.
After 7 days of no alcohol it was completely gone.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beardyweirdy - I read somewhere that an eyelid twitch is from lack of Magnesium. It is quite common for us (alcoholics) to be deficient in Magnesium. As for the eye swelling I would get to a doctors and get a physical.