Notices

Antibuse 1st Day

Old 10-25-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antibuse 1st Day

I’m getting ready to take my first dose of Antibuse. I have a million expensive beauty products that have alcohol in them. How do they affect you? What about hair dyes and getting nails done. My sobriety is important, very important. But I still want to feel like a girl! Any suggestions or stories of reactions to face creams, shampoo or perfumes? Any advice wud be much appreciated.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I haven't use antabuse, but did your dr give you any guidelines as to what could be a problem?
Old 10-25-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck with the Antabuse. I think your concerns are valid. I would call your doctor or pharmacist.
Best to you.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I've had no trouble with any products (aside from ingested alcohol) while on Antabuse. Some people are obviously a lot more sensitive. I heard a counselor suggesting that another patient dab rubbing alcohol on his inner forearm to see if there was any reaction.

I'd think this information would be in the prescription packet or via a quick Google Search for "Antabuse Reaction."

Ghostlight is right - check with your pharmacist. They know more about medications even than physicians do.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share but welcome to SR kalidgriffin

D
Old 10-25-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’ve had no issues with beauty products while on antibuse. I use tons of creams, lotions, dye my hair, and don’t check labels for alcohol content of any of these products. Mouthwash is the only thing I’m careful about.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you posted.

I successfully used Antabuse for the first 90 days of my sobriety. No issues with lotions, getting highlights or nails done...anything. The INGESTION of products with alcohol is the main thing that's critical to avoid, unless you do find that something gives you redness, a rash or the like. Asking your dr is a good idea.

And as someone who also played around with this powerful med - drank on it, skipped doses, etc- please take it as it is prescribed, only.

Good luck and keep making the next right choice.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on getting help by taking Antabuse. No experience to share but wanted to credit your positive action.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Never had an issue with anything years ago when I took it for a while. Deodorant, cologne or other things did not react in a rash or anything. The biggest issue I think many people have is that their subconscious finds reasons not to take it. There is the possibility of a reaction of some sort, but ingesting alcohol is the thing that can have a dangerous reaction.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

1st Day I took my Antibuse

Wow! Thank you for all your info and sharing. My doc/psych does not really know about the beauty products. I asked pharmist she said people have gotten sick from hair spray, cuz you can accidently inhale it and it has alcohol in it. I’ve read everything on the internet, but you want to talk to people that have actually experienced it. My toothpaste I read has .7% alcohol! Craziness and that is ingested, so any suggestions on toothpaste? Also has anyone had trouble with shampoo? Know about mouthwash, what do you all think about lip glosses? Anyone had trouble with those they have benzoyl alcohol? Any hoo All if you rock and any suggestions would be grateful! It’s crazy alcohol is in everything!!! Ugh! Here’s to day 2 of being sober. Happy Sober day everyone. Xoxo welcoming all and any product suggestions.........thank you! 👍🏻 PS I have someone watching me take it everyday........This Momma needs to get sober and get her kids back! They are really angry right now. Thanks again......Suggestions please!

Last edited by Kalidgriffin; 10-26-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Forgot a comment
Old 10-26-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No experience to share but welcome to SR kalidgriffin

D
Thank you! Happy to have this site!
Old 10-26-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if in doubt, ditch whatever it is and get a non alc version