Notices

Really thought I was ready this time

Old 10-25-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really thought I was ready this time

Such a disappointing feeling, thought I was ready to do this and failed after 42 days.
Took me all day to bring myself here and admit that.

I'm not ready to give up!
Old 10-25-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It isn't a failure unless you don't get up and start again. It's rare that anyone gets it on the first real try. Don't beat yourself up. You can do this! ((((HUGS))))
Old 10-25-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You still have 42 days and that's something to be commended. You can do this!
Old 10-25-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mandy, you learned a lot in the 42 days of sobriety, and now you can add to that. Do you know what led you to drink, and if so, maybe you can come up with a plan so that won't happen again? Good for you for coming back.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on 42 days. It took me many attempts to quit. But, that doesn't mean it will for you.
As said, keep trying. There were times I couldn't make it 42 hours, but I never gave up.
Keep your chin up, you can do it.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mandy, maybe it needed to happen this way. It did for me - I was a slow learner. The last time I caved & picked up again was the very last time. It's been almost 10 yrs. I was determined not to let myself down again. You haven't given up - you will do this.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It took me a few tries to make it stick....keep going!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flinders39 View Post
You still have 42 days and that's something to be commended. You can do this!
you have been 98% sober over 43 days. over an entire year this would be 4 days off and 360 days sober.

keep up the good work
Old 10-25-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many of us faltered a time or two - it's a big task.

Look at what happened and think about what you could add to your plan to
make sure it doesn't happen again?

D

D
Old 10-26-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mandy73 View Post

I'm not ready to give up!
not ready to give up what- drinking or recovery?

i hope its recovery.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mandy,

Congratulations! 42 days - that's terrific. Just get back on the wagon. Now you know how good sobriety can feel. You just need to push past the point where you still want it. 42 is still too close to remember what you liked about it but have momentarily forgotten what you hated. Now you know you can do it. Give yourself the gift of doing it again! You can do this.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

42 days is exactly double the best I could manage on my own power. Well done. I just skimmed over your posts for that time, and you fought your way through some very difficult and trying situations.

The thing that struck me was that there didn't appear to be anything going on that would treat your alcholism however. You almost made it to a counsellor, but not quite. The fact that it took so long, longer than you could actually last on your own, to make some moves about treatment, suggest to me that treating your alcholism does not perhaps have as high a priority as it should.

The great thing is you are still alive and this event can serve as a stepping stone to success, but only if you learn from it and act on what you learn. Most of us here found we had to make sobriety our number one priority. Without it we know there would be nothing else. Like Dee said, perhaps you need to add more to your plan.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Look at it as a learning experience.

Where were you?
What was the reason you felt you needed to drink?
What triggered it?
What can you do to be prepared for this type of situation next time?

If you analyze all these questions it'll help you become sober long term. I did this the last time I relapsed and it has done wonders for me.

Most importantly, don't give up. If you truly wanted to keep drinking you would not have come back here.

Also congrats on 42-days. That is no small achievement. I don't have the statistics but most people who got sober fell on their face trying at least once so don't think you can't quit alcohol because of this relapse... If so many others can get sober permanently then you can too! Plenty of people have done it and we are all here to help you.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You got 42 days
That's a great base

Learn from it, modify the holes in your sobriety plan,
and jump right back on the wagon

Nothing is lost unless you choose it to be
You can do this!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mandy, how's it going today? I was thinking of you.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm back, ty for thinking of me Hevyn. I'm ready to take this challenge on again. I was dealing with some very heavy emotional distress. I was weak. I need to learn better ways to cope in those times.
I see my Dr on Tuesday. He is my first step towards adjusting my recovery plan and making it a priority.
We had a sudden death in the family. My sisters boyfriend, he was only 17. Also my son had major surgery this week. Amongst other stresses.
I know how people say you can always find excuses to drink...I think I was just very new to sobriety and hit with several serious blows in a very short period of time.
I'm hoping to learn how to handle life's chaos without drinking.
Been having a very hard time. Feeling fragile. I drank yesterday and today I just feel gross. Not in a hangover way just ...gross.
Day 1 down. My journey begins again.

If anyone has newbie recovery advice during high stress situations I'm listening.

Thank you for your continued encouragement you are all very kind.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
quat

The best advice I ever got was 'No Matter What' , to end an addiction to alcohol one must decide to never drink again , NMW. It's not newbie centric, abstinence is the cure.
Learning about AVRT showed me how stop talking myself into trying to deny that simple truth. Great threads on those ideas here on SR in the Secular Connections forum.
Sorry to hear about your family's loss and I hope you son is continuing to heal, don't let your AV manipulate you into using those unfortunate situations as boozing sessions.
Being present and clearheaded for them will make you feel bettter in the long run, yeah? That wine witch, the AV , doesn't consider your happiness or well being , IT only wants the booze.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I relapsed after nine months and I had to commit myself to staying sober. In my opinion you really have to do whatever it takes to make your life peaceful enough for you to devote yourself to long-term sobriety. I'm over two years sober now and it gets much better. Sometimes it is a bumpy ride and you have to hold on to other people and resources.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the stress Mandy but I think this is the time when you need support.

I've leant on this site at times and it's helped me get through - and stay sober.

D