Notices

Still trying

Old 10-23-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still trying

I had a day that was difficult, filled with much stress. My son had surgery today amongst other events that were quite upsetting.

I was crying and confided to my husband 'you know I'm so tempted to get a bottle of wine right now but it won't even help, it won't make these feelings go away'

I just really wanted some relief from all of my negative physical feelings, tight chest, headache, etc and emotional upset.

I didn't get wine. I tried some deep breathing and talking things out with my husband as he's usually really good at getting me off the ledge so to speak.

I can't say I'm feeling a lot better but some and I didn't use this as an excuse to drink.

I fight another day. Thank you to the people who read this and are encouraging me, I'm feeling quite fragile and can really use the extra support.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good job! I’m sorry your day has been so challenging, those days are going to happen in one form or another. I hope your son has a speedy recovery. It does get easier as time passes and we get stronger with our sobriety skills. Stay strong.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That’s good, Mandy.
I’m glad you didn’t drink.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on not drinking and talking to your husband instead

if you stay sober then you can be of service to your son

Old 10-24-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you didn't get the wine, it will be so much better to have a clear head for your son. How did his surgery go? How is he doing tonight?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do hope your soon gets better soon. That’s also really commendable not giving in to alcohol. You can do this!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job on a very difficult hurdle. Wishing a speedy recovery for you son and a meaningful, loving recovery for you.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, my son is home and resting/ recovering.

I called my dr office to make an appointment for myself to discuss a referral for counselling. I have an appt. next week.

I wish I could say that I feel good these days but I just feel awful.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mandy73 View Post
Thank you everyone, my son is home and resting/ recovering.

I called my dr office to make an appointment for myself to discuss a referral for counselling. I have an appt. next week.

I wish I could say that I feel good these days but I just feel awful.
Really well done on staying sober. I found the first couple of months so incredibly hard. Any stress brought me to the very edge. It gets a lot easier with time. I am only just over 4 months and I can feel my resilience growing. Every time you make it through life challenges you will be stronger and more confident (not immediately but bit by bit).
It is great you arranged counselling for yourself rather than drinking. Taking action to deal with the problem rather than running away. For me, that is what recovery is all about .
Support to you.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

One of things that helped to keep my resolve was taking a 'step back' and looking at the choice to drink from an objective view.

When I decided to end my addiction , I separated from the desire to drink(great ideas on this perspective here on SR in the Secular Connections forum ,AVRT threads). I recognized that I have the desire , the Beast , and I can hear Its voice 'in my minds ear', the AV. It sounds just like the truer, more real, rational Me because it has access to my vocabulary , emotions and thought processes. But it isn't the real me, it just fools (ed) me into believing so , so that the Beast can get ITs booze.

It will say anything to get booze, "feeling good? You know how to make it better,yeah?" "Feeling bad, you know how to make that seem better, yeah?"
That amoral pr&$! even floats the idea that pain and suffering of loved ones is a great time have some booze. "Too bad about John, poor Linda and the kids, betcha there will be scotch at the wake, mm"
A real right bastard that one, actually makes me feel good depriving that scumbag weasel It's precious stuff.
It is good to hear your son is on the mend, and good to hear you deprived the wine witch, IT was actually happy you were in distress , it meant a fair chance of getting some booze. Good on you , keep kicking that AVs butt! And well wishes for your son
Old 10-24-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes to you and your son Mandy
A referral sounds a great idea.
D