Notices

Am I being unrealistic?

Old 10-23-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I being unrealistic?

So, day 1, don't feel like a drink, but really feel like a cigarette. Am I being unrealistic or putting too much pressure to try and do both at once? If I can keep the no drinking up I know I will smoke less. I also know that I need to do the alcohol as a priority as it has become a daily thing in excess. I'm so tempted to go and buy a pack of smokes to help me get through but am scared I'll just think of myself as a failure and go ah well may as well drink too tomorrow.
Arghhhhh why am I trying to do both at once.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

both at once is a good idea. For me, they were tighly-linked. One was deeply associated with the other. Feeding my addictions on either side was a great way to lead back to the addictive cycle in general.

Sure, it's hard.... but that's what recovery is at first. Hard. It gets easier, healthier, better.... you can do it.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
both at once is a good idea. For me, they were tighly-linked. One was deeply associated with the other. Feeding my addictions on either side was a great way to lead back to the addictive cycle in general.

Sure, it's hard.... but that's what recovery is at first. Hard. It gets easier, healthier, better.... you can do it.

Thank you FreeOwl, I needed to hear that! I believe they are associated with each other for me too.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I did both at once. I really wanted to put an end all the poison I was putting into my body and focus on better ways to handle situations without chemicals. I know you can do it. Be stronger than the addictions!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also quit several things at the same time. Things that I strongly associated as going together.

I do think people vary and need to do what works for them.

My pal quit things separately. That worked for him.

Wishing you well.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
I did both at once. I really wanted to put an end all the poison I was putting into my body and focus on better ways to handle situations without chemicals. I know you can do it. Be stronger than the addictions!
Thanks ChloeRose! I need to keep walking past the note I've written on my fridge. No more excuses.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

I can only speak for myself, but I had to focus on not drinking and doing anything else. Most people lose weight when they stop drinking but I gained, because I would cook and bake to keep occupied. I'm almost at 6 months without drinking and just now getting back to trying to eat healthy. Not a smoker but I do know ppl who have been successful in tapering off cigarettes by using vapor pens...its not completely quitting but I understand its better on the lungs. After several tries at sobriety, I knew being completely off alcohol was the only way, abd therefore needed to take every other indulgence.
Good luck and stay strong 💪
Old 10-23-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Vinificent and Peaceful Water12 for your replies. Really appreciate it. I'm thinking I need to make the no drinking such a HUGE priority that I may have to hold onto that crutch a little while longer as much as I will beat myself up over it, I know it will reduce without the drinking. I have quit smoking before, for ten years and only took it up again 18 months ago, I haven't gone 10 years with more than two days alcohol free. I did two days back in March when I joined here.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did the smoking a year or so before the drinking (notably why smoking was banned in UK pubs lol). Well done you.

I found the whyquit website massively useful for when I was stopping smoking - if you haven't been on there its worth exploring.
This page on their site in particular was really helpful for me personally... Stop Smoking Benefits Timetable

Have you got a plan for your recovery from alcohol? I mean, beyond 'not drinking'. If not, it's worth working on that.

BB
Old 10-23-2017, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I did the smoking a year or so before the drinking (notably why smoking was banned in UK pubs lol). Well done you.

I found the whyquit website massively useful for when I was stopping smoking - if you haven't been on there its worth exploring.
This page on their site in particular was really helpful for me personally... Stop Smoking Benefits Timetable

Have you got a plan for your recovery from alcohol? I mean, beyond 'not drinking'. If not, it's worth working on that.

BB
Hi Berrybean, thank you I will check the website out and well done on achieving both!!
I have read a lot on here, more so when I last came on about the importance of a recovery plan and what to put in it.
Apart from 'only' having one drink on Saturday night today is the first time I have been alcohol free for months. So my plan so far is to look to tomorrow, wake up and look at the note I have left on my fridge about no more excuses and doing it for my children, and put a small amount of money into my holiday account instead of going to the bottle shop.

I had today and will be having tomorrow off work as I have an ear infection as a result of a yucky cold and already know it will be when I am on the way home from work on Wednesday that will test me.

Tomorrow will too as I know I will be saying to myself well I had a day off, that wasn't so hard.... I am hooing the two things above will be enough to get me through tomorrow.

I am looking at changing my habits, reading more, not sitting out at the back table with my tablet and drink in hand. Concentrating on my current mission to declutter my house which I am finding very rewarding.

I know this is only thoughts and I need to put a lot of thought into proper recovery, especially how to tackle the weekend, but getting throug tomorrow is my big mission right now.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You may well have already seen this thread, but if not it's definitely work reading through the links that Dee has put on there. (Dee's a wise old stick and his advise is always good.)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...y-plans-1.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

BB
Old 10-23-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
You may well have already seen this thread, but if not it's definitely work reading through the links that Dee has put on there. (Dee's a wise old stick and his advise is always good.)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...y-plans-1.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

BB
So much helpful information!! Thank you, I have a lot to read, but more, a lot to do.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I quit both at once but I only drank smoked when I drank so it made sense to do it that way. If you can manage the two it's the best way to go I think.

On the other hand if it makes you insane and you start to crave either or both, there's no shame in looking into things like nicotine gum or patches to help?

D
Old 10-23-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Whendovescry,

I think that if the two are closely linked, it is a good idea to do both at once. Feel free to rage if you need to. (In private) Throw a shoe at the wall, dance your behind off, cry, whatever. That's what I think I'd do if I quit smoking at the same time as drinking anyhow!

Me? One thing at a time.
Just
Don't
Drink

O
Old 10-23-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

If you research, gums, patches, vaping etc. are less successful in the long term than cold turkey. This has always been true for me, but YMMV.

Started smoking in rehab after years of not smoking...boredom, feeling totally off from withdrawal, and surrounded by people smoking is not a good combination. Went back to a pack and a quarter a day. There was NO way I could give up both at the same time, but I know people that were both heavy drinkers and lifelong smokers that have done it.

I ended up quitting cold turkey at 90 days.

Wellbutrin is an antidepressant that is also marketed as Zyban, which is used for smoking cessation. It's only available via prescription. It helps, and has a far different side effect profile than SSRI antidepressants. Ask your doc if interested, and they can help you determine if its appropriate.

Good luck either way!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's really a personal thing if you feel dumping both at once would be the best plan of action, though getting the booze gone for sure should be the #1 priority.