SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sober wedding - Check! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/417843-sober-wedding-check.html)

Nikkabean326 10-22-2017 03:05 PM

Sober wedding - Check!

Fun, love, dancing, tears of joy, good food, friends, laughing until my face hurt, teamwork, conversations remembered.. these are just some of the things I experienced attending a wedding sober.

Not only did I attend, but I was in the wedding party. It was a beautiful Connecticut location with rolling hills, prime foliage, and a rustic touch complete with carved pumpkins and fairy lights.

Mimosa's were poured during hair and makeup, the groomsman had engraved flasks filled with whiskey (their gifts at the rehearsal dinner), and of course open bar followed the ceremony.

The night was beautiful and I remember every moment. Oh my gosh, I shook it so hard on the dance floor that I was dripping with sweat. I twirled and laughed the night away.

Had I been drinking? A possible fight with my SO, a glass dropped on the dance floor, tripping down the aisle, conversations forgotten, not helping with the decoration breakdown, not being coherent enough to talk to the owners of the venue about how it used to be a barn that housed riding horses, going to bed even later than I already did, waking up in the middle of the night vomiting, waking up with a pounding headache and the shakes, dry mouth, nausea, inability to get out of bed and get my Sunday started, etc, etc, etc..

Instead - I woke up at 9:30am to go test drive a car with my SO, went grocery shopping, returned the SO's tux, got lunch, prepped lunches for the week and dinner for tonight, cleaned the condo, brought down some donation bags, worked on my budget, and the day isn't even over.. after a pretty hectic weekend I plan on using up the rest of the evening for myself. I'm not sure what that means. Meditation, exercise, reading, catching up on a few shows.. I figure writing here is a good start!

I'm glad for the experiences that came along with the wedding. Attending a shower, bachelorette party, rehearsal dinner, and finally the wedding completely sober was eye opening. I do not need to drink to have fun, nor have I ever. I can't wait to experience the rest of my life sober.

biminiblue 10-22-2017 03:13 PM

I really love this post, thanks Nikka.

Sounds like a wonderful wedding. :)

Cuckoo 10-22-2017 03:33 PM

Amazing Nikka. Sounds awesome, a dream come true.
How funny though that for us a sober wedding is a celebration.....my 79 year old mother has experienced every birthday/christmas/christening/holiday/bbq/wedding etc etc etc totally sober. She is a teetotal and has NEVER drank. A totally different perspective for her isnt it. Some people let the demon in through the door but for others it never comes knocking.
C

anxiousrock 10-22-2017 03:51 PM

That is a huge accomplishment. Congrats!

Anna 10-22-2017 04:14 PM

I'm so glad you had a good time, Nikki!

Dee74 10-22-2017 04:55 PM

Sounds like you sailed through this.
I'm really glad Nikkabean - congrats :)