Notices

Relapse after two and a half months

Old 10-22-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse after two and a half months

Basically, I feel that sharing in here it's incredibly helpful, especially in a time of crisis.

Well, after making the best decision in my life two and a half months ago of quitting alcohol, yesterday I relapsed. And what a way to relapse. I even fell in the bathroom and hit myself in my face really hard, now I look like they beat the crap of me.

Now I'm here, in incredible pain, both emotional and physical, and right back where I was. This was the longest I stayed sober for.

The incredible thing is that I saw this coming. Almost a week ago I knew this was coming and couldn't prevent it.

What worries me is that living in a country far away from home, I feel very lonely, especially on weekends, and that is what took me to drinking.

Just wanted to share.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been known to feel sorry for myself and drink. It never fixed whatever thing I was feeling self-pity about.

I'm glad you're back. Put some putty in those holes in your sobriety plan, yeah?

I hope your face feels better. That doesn't sound good.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
Almost a week ago I knew this was coming and couldn't prevent it.
Welcome back Hope, sorry to hear you fell and I hope the injury is not too bad. Do you think you should get checked out by a doc?

Regarding your statement above, are you sure there is "nothing" you could have done to stop yourself from picking up a drink? How about logging in here and talking it through? Or finding a recovery group locally to help? Maybe log into an online meeting or a recovery chat?

I think the most important thing you can learn from this is that there are lots of ways to intervene with your addiction's plans to drink.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

im glad ya made it back, Hope!
the same little part caught my attention as did scott:
"Almost a week ago I knew this was coming and couldn't prevent it.'
i would believe that
however
ya started the thread with
"Basically, I feel that sharing in here it's incredibly helpful, especially in a time of crisis."

so, onto solutions to not let it happen again,eh?
other than not drinking, were you workin any recovery program/plan?
Old 10-22-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you are okay and that you feel better.

I think Scott is right. There are probably things you could have done to change the outcome. It might be a good idea to make a plan in case this happens again so that you will be prepared.

You will always find company and support here.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's always *always* possible to prevent a relapse - especially if you see it coming

some great ideas here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)
Old 10-22-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Hope. I'm so thankful you didn't let it turn into a long binge (like I have in the past). You found it to be an awful experience & are now ready to continue with your new sober life. There's nothing in it for us - and never will be. You learned something, & now you'll be even more determined.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope= how did you know this was coming? Was it a specific person? Where you went yesterday? The Activity? What was it that you saw that you knew you were going to relapse. And...more importantly why weren't you able to post before you relapsed and ask for help? Just curious.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope: There are lots of threads on Soberrecovery.com (this site) on relapse. Dee has often come up with a list. If, as you say, you "feel" a relapse coming, then look up some of these threads and get a plan.If you "feel" the engine coming down the track and even hear the whistle you can get yourself out of the way. You aren't tied to the rails!

W.