SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Anyone smoke? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/417811-anyone-smoke.html)

Strawberry18 10-22-2017 06:41 AM

Anyone smoke?

Anyone smoke? I'm looking for a quiting buddy... I'm starting tomorrow!

Cuckoo 10-22-2017 09:44 AM

I dont anymore. Gave up a very heavy habit nine years ago. I used the NHS support. They gave me patches and I had an appt with a nurse every seven days where I had to blow in to a machine so they could check I hadnt had a fag !! It worked for me, shame I cant seem to quit the booze as easily 😣
Anyway, just wanted to wish you lots of luck. I found a huge throat swallow, helped if I got a craving. Weird, I know but it seemed to help.

To smelly
To expensive
To much of an addiction
To anti social now

A few reasons why I stopped and so, so glad that I did.
Let us know how you get on
C

Meraviglioso 10-22-2017 09:51 AM

Cuckoo, you are so right, it has become such an anti-social habit now. It used to be that anywhere you were people were smoking. I remember even just 7 or 8 years ago at dinner there would be tons of people to head out for a smoke with. I now find myself the only one going out for a smoke, no one does it anymore. It is so gross and I want to quit too. I haven't been too hard on myself because I am of the "one thing at a time" camp, but now is a good of time as any.
I am currently out having a smoke now and have two left in my pack. I'll go for it. I'll smoke these last two tonight for sure but will start with you tomorrow Loui84. I am nervous and hope I don't let you down, but I'll give it a good go, let's try this together!

Strawberry18 10-22-2017 10:06 AM

Just smoked my last one!!! Goodnight from Greece !!! Here it's VERY normal to smoke! And only 3.50 euro a pack of 20 !:( let's do this together!!! It's not good for are health ! :( are livers need a cleanse

january161992 10-22-2017 01:22 PM

quit when i was a year sober

went to smokers/ nicotine anonymous

DuhDave 10-22-2017 03:17 PM

I stopped 5 years ago. Wasnt really as hard as I had made it up in my mind to be. It wasnt easy by any stretch but not that hard either.

Now to lose the booze...THAT is another story. Thats a tough one kick to the curb. Still struggling.

For what it's worth, I found that by Mimicking smoking a cig helped me. Granted it may not be for everyone but it worked for me. I would "pretend" or use vizualization to Remove a cig from the pak, put it to my lips, light it, take a drag and exhale, seeing the smoke in my mind, all the details, the taste, all of it but especially that deep, inhaled draw of clean fresh air was especially satisfying (remember, we're playing pretend here. We're not really smoking a cig but we're making our brains think we are).

I dont know if "Muscle Memory" is part of it or what but this worked for me. Now, I rarely do it but once in a great, great while when the thought crosses my mind I do.

Remember, this technique may not be for everyone but for me it was that little extra "tool" in the box that helped me over the "hump" so to speak.

Good Luck! You CAN doit!

DD

:You_Rock_

Ileana 10-22-2017 06:12 PM

I quit 8 days ago. My husband quit 2 days after me so he has 6 days in, we have been doing it together. If you don't mind us being a week ahead, I volunteer.

Strawberry18 10-23-2017 12:04 AM

Well I managed to resist a cig with my morning coffee( my favorite ) so far so good!

ozm8ey 10-23-2017 12:50 AM

I used to smoke a pack a day but now I switched to vaping, It might not be considered safe buts i have had lots of health benefits by switching like no more smokers cough, more hydrated, etc

Meraviglioso 10-23-2017 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Loui84 (Post 6646770)
Well I managed to resist a cig with my morning coffee( my favorite ) so far so good!

Me too! I must admit, that is (used to be) a very nice way to start the day. But this morning I decided to treat myself in another way. I also like putting on my robs and getting back into bed with my coffee and computer. I don't smoke inside my house, so this set up is not associated with smoking at all.
I am dealing with a sinus infection right now, so I think that will help make this easier. I just feel so unwell it is not that desirable to smoke.

I have heard that the first three days are the worst, once you get past that it generally gets easier.

Cuckoo 10-23-2017 01:26 AM

I realised very soon that of all the 20+ a day I smoked I only really "enjoyed" a couple if them, first one in the morning, after lunch and dinner. The rest were just pure habit and smoking for tge sake of it....madness.......just like pouring booze down my throat, again, for the sake of it !!!!
C

FreeOwl 10-23-2017 03:01 AM

I don't smoke, but I did for many, many years. I'm glad you're going to quit.

Ooona 10-23-2017 05:22 PM

Hey all! Im so happy I found this post today. I quit drinking about 15 or so months ago and decided that I was going to tackle the smokes. My first grandbaby was born two days ago and I dont want him to ever see me smoke! He is my motivating factor!!!
I started on Chantix a month ago and quit smoking at about day 7 or 8 of taking it. I have about 18 days not smoking right now.
Im wishing everybody the best with this nasty, disgusting, not one good thing about it, habit!

DontRemember 10-23-2017 06:28 PM

I have a 'quit day' set.. Still smoking..I've quit before and the 1st week was the hardest for me. After about day 4 the 'habit' was mostly gone. Like the other's said..I really only 'enjoy' about 2-4 a day(morning,after meals,ect..) but, I have an addictive personality I'm 'told' and smoke a pack a day(20)so, I just cant event have a taste after I stop.

hpdw 10-23-2017 11:20 PM

My wife and I quit 7 years ago but we took up vaping ( e-cigs) . I,m not sure if we replaced one habit for another though as I cant go anywhere without my device .

Ooona 10-24-2017 09:51 AM

Sooo.....Hows everyone doing today with the non smoking??
One of the benefits that I have seen in the short time since I stopped smoking is the loss of urgency. I sat through a LONG BORING meeting today and not once did I think of having a cigarette! I cant wait till I go a whole day, week, month and YEAR! without thinking about that nonsense.
How about you all...what benefits are you looking forward to??

Cuckoo 10-24-2017 10:23 AM

Well done Ooona on giving up the cigs. For me, after the initial cravings had passed I found association a problem. For example, I always reached for a smoke on the phone and weirdly I always used to smoke when drying my freshly washed hair.......how crazy was that ?? 😵
So glad that I am many years given up now and will never start again.
C

MindfulMan 10-24-2017 06:53 PM

I quit 100 days in.

I remember after quitting nine years ago (I started again for about 4 months), looking at people huddled outside in the rain and thinking "I'm so glad I don't have to do that anymore."